license renewal

magnetman

Featured Posts

I have 2 gold licenses to be paid but didn't receive either reminder.

is this an isolated incident or have crt lost the plot?

just wondering as I don't intend to be clobbered with a late payment fee..

I have 2 gold licenses to be paid but didn't receive either reminder.

is this an isolated incident or have crt lost the plot?

just wondering as I don't intend to be clobbered with a late payment fee..

Why do you need a reminder from CRT to ensure you make one of your most important purchases of the year?

Mines due the end of Feb - it's in the diary.

Edited by The Dog House

Are these boats you have owned for at least a year, or is there any danger you have acquired them from someone else during the currency of the present licence?

Probably not, but, just in case, one of the anomalies I uncovered, is that even if you have fully notified BW/CRT that you now own the boat (and they have acknowledged that you have told them), their dumb system doesn't send you a reminder on your first renewal.

Which is probably the time it might be most useful (!)...................

Why do you need a reminder from CRT to ensure you make one of your most important purchases of the year?

Mines due the end of Feb - it's in the diary.

If you want to pay online, (by far the easiest way you can), I'm not sure you can do it withoutthe renewal number contained in the reminder.

If I'm right, that's why you need it, unless you want to go through the extra bother of having to phone CRT to find out why you have not been sent the info you need.

Edited by alan_fincher

its not the first renewal on either and yes there is a reference number or customer number required to renew online I believe and i'm not even sure they are allowed to give that out over the phone

doghouse - I don't have a diary lol

i've paid on time for the last 18 years and iirc always received reminders

I may well be wrong (usually am) but I was under the impression that Gold licences, unlike normal annual licences, ran from 1 January, if so then the need to renew should not need a reminder.......Coat!

If you want to pay online, (by far the easiest way you can), I'm not sure you can do it withoutthe renewal number contained in the reminder.

If I'm right, that's why you need it, unless you want to go through the extra bother of having to phone CRT to find out why you have not been sent the info you need.

That is exactly why I now pop it in my diary - because if for any reason I've not had the renewal notice within a few days of my licence being due I'd be on the phone to the CRT licensing team to sort it.

For the same reason I don't expect DVLA to send Jan a reminder when the licence is due on our car - the onus is on us to note when the licence is due and take action if for any reason we don't get a reminder.

It's about taking a degree of responsibility.

doghouse - I don't have a diary lol

By 'diary' I mean I use Google Calender for important stuff like this which also updates the calender and reminders on my android phone.

The expiry date is also on your licence......

That is exactly why I now pop it in my diary - because if for any reason I've not had the renewal notice within a few days of my licence being due I'd be on the phone to the CRT licensing team to sort it.

For the same reason I don't expect DVLA to send Jan a reminder when the licence is due on our car - the onus is on us to note when the licence is due and take action if for any reason we don't get a reminder.

It's about taking a degree of responsibility.

Martin,

I answered your question "Why do you need a reminder from CRT", but it seems you have just acknowledged that ultimately you do, so I guess we are in agreement on that, just not on whether or not we need to be checking up on whether the manage to send it in time.

So, if it transpires that Magnetman normally gets a reminder, but has not taken action until after Jan 1st when he did not, should he lose his 10% prompt payment discount because he has failed to "take a degree of responsibility"?

I may well be wrong (usually am) but I was under the impression that Gold licences, unlike normal annual licences, ran from 1 January, if so then the need to renew should not need a reminder.......Coat!

I repeat - you can't actually do an online renewal without it.

It can be argued that you might have spotted before Jan 1st that you didn't get it, but you do need the reminder.

Methinks that as a Gold licence is a bit of an oddball, CaRT don't really know where the boat is kept - don't need to know - (I'll get in trouble for that) then there's not any mechanism to take you to task.

There's no prompt payment discount (AFAIK) - so no penalty to you.

Just pay up and Cart will be grateful for the revenue.

When is (was) it due?

If it is a gold licence, it can only be January 1st.

Methinks that as a Gold licence is a bit of an oddball, CaRT don't really know where the boat is kept - don't need to know - (I'll get in trouble for that) then there's not any mechanism to take you to task.

There's no prompt payment discount (AFAIK) - so no penalty to you.

Just pay up and Cart will be grateful for the revenue.

Why then does Gold licence application pack say.....

Canal & River Trust prompt payment discount is already deducted from the payment in full. (See page 4)

That to me implies there is, and you might pay more if you hadn't paid on time.

That's what MM seems to think anyway!

Edited by alan_fincher

please don't compare this to car tax

Why is it not comparable?

It's an annual payment due to the authority that allows (on payment) navigation on the waterways in the case of CRT or use of the roads in the case of DVLA.

I know there's no 10% off but have an idea about a late payment surcharge but I doubt they can do that to be fair..

Again - when was it due?

Covered

So every Gold licence ever issued is due at year end :rolleyes:

Edited by The Dog House

I know there's no 10% off but have an idea about a late payment surcharge but I doubt they can do that to be fair..

I'm not sure you are right, because it says

Canal & River Trust prompt payment discount is already deducted from the payment in full.

I believe EA don't have such a concept though, so presumably the overall discount is less than the normal 10% were it just a CRT licence.

If they were historic boats you would similarly get the historic boat discount on just the CRT bit, which s why you have to apply for a special price if you want a Gold licence on a qualifying boat.

I can't walk into the post office and renew it in the event I am not sent a reminder..

ps ____ ___

You could have rung the CRT licensing team though They are actually human - and would I'm sure have done their utmost to help....

Now that you have let your licence lapse it;s in the lap of the gods.

It is an "interesting" debate how far personal responsibility should go.

So, if your council fail to send you a council tax reminder, or one of your water or utilities providers fails to bill you, so you are using services you have not yet paid for, should you be penalised?

I think if it could be demonstrated not only that do CRT normally always send a reminder, but also that you cannot actually pay without that reminder, they would be on sticky ground trying to penalise you for what is basically their normal process apparently having broken. I'd certainly try to fight any additional costs that this resulted in.

It is an "interesting" debate how far personal responsibility should go.

So, if your council fail to send you a council tax reminder, or one of your water or utilities providers fails to bill you, so you are using services you have not yet paid for, should you be penalised?

I think if it could be demonstrated not only that do CRT normally always send a reminder, but also that you cannot actually pay without that reminder, they would be on sticky ground trying to penalise you for what is basically their normal process apparently having broken. I'd certainly try to fight any additional costs that this resulted in.

Bet you could if you rang them and said - 'hey my reminder hasn't arrived'.

Ok sir sorry about this - what is your boats index number? xxxxx

and the boats name, xxxxxx fine, can you confirm your name and address.

Debit card details....security number sorted.....