Immersion heater.

fudd

Featured Posts

We have an Albion calorifier with an immersion heater made up of two loose rods that are a loose fit in what I presume to be copper sleeves. One of the rods has a dodgy electrical connection. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement unit? Albion are no longer trading or are ignoring my attempts to contact them. Thanks in advance.

Steve P

Are the rods seperate heating elements?

Sometimes, two elements are fitted, one short, to warm the top of the tank quickly, and a longer one to heat the whole tank, but more slowly.

If that's the case here, the one without the dodgy connection might still work.

Are the copper tubes removable? If so, are you left with a standard immersion heater boss (2 1/4" BSP, IIRC)? In that case, it should be possible to fit a replacement element.

Iain

It is probably quite a normal one with a separate thermostat tube sensor. There should be a domed cap over the electrical connections with its details written on, probably an 800watt or so one. ''Aquafax'' amongst others stock these.

Check the wiring carefully - two "loose rods" in sleeves may be TWO thermostats, one which switches on and off as the way temperature falls and rises, and one with a manual reset button which switches off and stays off if the water temperature rises dangerously high. If this one trips you have to open up the cover and press the button to reset it.

The heating element is not normally loose in a sleeve, in order to ensure that it is in good thermal contact with the water.

Andrew

Check the wiring carefully - two "loose rods" in sleeves may be TWO thermostats, one which switches on and off as the way temperature falls and rises, and one with a manual reset button which switches off and stays off if the water temperature rises dangerously high. If this one trips you have to open up the cover and press the button to reset it.

The heating element is not normally loose in a sleeve, in order to ensure that it is in good thermal contact with the water.

Andrew

A photo would clarify things.

I do remember water heaters from my apprentice days that had a ceramic and wire wound element that slid in a tube about 30mm in diameter. But not seen anything like it for years.

One of the rods is live. As in connected directly to the mains. I'm not saying you could get a shock from it. If I disconnect the live wire then the element would slide out. I'll have a look over the weekend and try and get my act together re. posting photos.