Overplating

songbird2

Featured Posts

Hi

Ive been to see a boat today that I like. Its a 1989 John Pinder. It was overplated in 2005, it also got a new engine and gearbox in the same year. Should I be concerned about a boat that has been overplated at all? I will get a survey but I appreciate peoples thoughts before I go to that expense. In every other respect it seems like a good liveaboard boat. many thanks in advance, this support really helps novices like me!

Personally...If I liked it..the survey was OK...and the price was right....I would go for it.

I guess a lot depends on the survey...and how thick it was before the plating..

Also...does it sit OK in the water...with the extra weight...

My own opinion..(and this is just for me)..is that its what it does for me in the following years. Same as a car...nobody ever owns a car...they eventually rust/fail etc..and you send them to the crusher....but you pay your money for what it does for you...style...speed...economy...size..etc...

If its going to be comfy...the engine reliable....and look the way I want it..that would do me..

Edited by Bobbybass

hi , yes i do but I have just found loads of stuff on the subject of overplating on the forum and its worrying me now! aaaargh

If you like the boat, get it surveyed. Then you'll know the state of this boat, rather than people's attitudes to plating on hypothetical boats

Out of interest, how much plating has it had?

Richard

If you like the boat, get it surveyed. Then you'll know the state of this boat, rather than people's attitudes to plating on hypothetical boats

Out of interest, how much plating has it had?

Richard

Im not sure I will ask the owners though, thanks, a survey is the way forward for sure

In my opinion it doesn't say much for the quality of the steel or hull maintenance by previous owner/ owners if it needed overplating after only 16 years .

My thoughts entirely - I wouldn't expect to see overplating for another 10 years or more.

I totally agree with Bobbybass. No matter how well, or badly, the overplating has been done, the boat will probably float perfectly well for another 15 or 20 years before any <perceived> problems sink it.

Get a survey if necessary to obtain insurance, then just BUY it if u like it!

MtB

• 2 weeks later...