Stove Flue Requierement/Regulations

Featured Posts

I am in the process of fitting out my sailaway and have reached the stage of fitting my stove. My understanding of the current regulations is that a twin wall (lined) flue is a recommendation i.e. not a requirement. The local advice I have been getting is contradictory, with general confusion over a requirement and a recommendation. As I have already purchased a single wall flue I would like to fit this but don't want to proceed and then have to strip it back out.

Can anyone clarify the requirements for me please?

I am in the process of fitting out my sailaway and have reached the stage of fitting my stove. My understanding of the current regulations is that a twin wall (lined) flue is a recommendation i.e. not a requirement. The local advice I have been getting is contradictory, with general confusion over a requirement and a recommendation. As I have already purchased a single wall flue I would like to fit this but don't want to proceed and then have to strip it back out.

Section 8 currently does not require solid fuel stoves to be fitted with specific types of flue, merely they work and do not cause a fire hazard etc.

However, due to recent fires involving solid fuel stoves, this could change?

Think it also depends if you are following CE marking of your fit out - if you are then a lot more of the BS/EU standards come into force.

Yes, of course. As a new build, that will require RCD compliance & CE marking so its entirely possible the regs will be different. However, the thing to bear in mind is the 5 year rule for a self build. This means that if you build your boat, keep & use it for 5 years before selling it, you won't have to provide proof of compliance. Unless, of course, you feel that it would be a useful selling point. My boat was finished off by me so it doesn't comply with the RCD as I did it 12 years ago.

It may well only be a recommendation,however as you are fitting out now,I would use the twin wall system.IMAG0142.jpg

That's a very good idea especially as its the perfect way to overcome any doubts. It is a relatively expensive alternative, but could be worth it for peace of mind.

I have a good knowledge of what the RCD requires having studied all of the (nearly 30!) different RCD harmonised ISO Standards(not British but issued in the UK by British Standards). The RCD is silent on the specifics of solid fuel stove installation requirements. It does have requirements for fire safety in general but doesn't go into detail on solid fuel flue construction or installation.

As others have said, the Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) Guide also does not specify in detail the installation or construction of a boat stove flue but then everyone can easily read what that does say unlike the difficulty of accessing the RCD stuff!

The "regulations" that do say a lot (of good things mostly) about stoves and flues on boats is a British Standard Code of Practice BS 8511. It is nothing to do with the RCD.

As it is a CoP it is not mandatory but the perceived wisdom seems to be that insurers may find wriggle room on claims for fire incidents on new installations that have ignored it.

BSS certainly refer to it on some of their website pages and link to the quite useful single page sketch related to BS 8511 produced by Soliftec.

Richard

Yes your mention of Insurance should ring bells in anyone about to start a new fit out.I would recommend anyone having a new fit out or doing it themselves to use a double skinned flue and chimney.

Edited by bowten

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this item.

The way I plan to proceed is to extend the heat protective paneling (as per the soliftec sheet) for the full hight of the stove and flu making a tiled feature of it. The should give the required protection and manage costs.

Thanks!

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this item.

The way I plan to proceed is to extend the heat protective paneling (as per the soliftec sheet) for the full hight of the stove and flu making a tiled feature of it. The should give the required protection and manage costs.

Thanks!

Thats top thinking, simple, attractive & effective. One Huuuuuunnnnddred an' eightyyy!!!

...should give the required protection and manage costs.

Richard has already given the perfect answer regarding regulations (it isn't etc). However in answer to the OP, the twin wall provides three factors and fire protection is only one.

It will help (but only help) with personal injury i.e. burns, should anyone come into contact.

Probably more importantly, on a relatively short chimney, the key to providing a clean efficient combustion process is to maintain the heat in the flue pipe.

This will help to some extent reduce fuel consumption, it will help to some extent keep the flue free from tar and it will help maintain a good flow in the chimney with the gases being exhausted out the top.

All that will contribute to avoiding the build up of carbon monoxide.

HTH

Rob

Richard has already given the perfect answer regarding regulations (it isn't etc). However in answer to the OP, the twin wall provides three factors and fire protection is only one.

It will help (but only help) with personal injury i.e. burns, should anyone come into contact.

Probably more importantly, on a relatively short chimney, the key to providing a clean efficient combustion process is to maintain the heat in the flue pipe.

This will help to some extent reduce fuel consumption, it will help to some extent keep the flue free from tar and it will help maintain a good flow in the chimney with the gases being exhausted out the top.

All that will contribute to avoiding the build up of carbon monoxide.

HTH

Rob

Another top answer to the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a twin wall flue on my Morso - and just a 5" domestic Selkirk one - and I can vouch for the fact that it draws better, burns more efficiently, at a guess I would say 2/3 of the fuel for an uninsulated flue, and it just generally feels much safer. And for the folks that always moan about "what about the heat you get from the flue itself", the flue does actually still get hot (eventually) and radiate heat, just not hot enough to burn the skin off your hands, nor set your curtains and books alight from 3 feet away! It also seems to spread the heat lower in the cabin rather than losing so much at ceiling height.

I noticed a couple of reputable fitters local to me have started using insulated flues recently too, so I'm glad to see people are finally getting sensible and moving with the times rather than digging their heels in and insisting insulated flues are pointless on a narrowboat.