Alternator rebuild reccommendation

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

My domestic alternator is starting to play up. It doesn't get excited easily (takes two or three goes) and the engineer who has had a look at it reckons it is not delivering more than 80% of what it should and is therefore reaching end of serviceable life. A different engineer also told me that the bearings are on their way out so I decided I woluld like to replace the offending article. It has seen almost 8000 hours of service.

The engine is a Nanni and A. R. Peachment asked if there was anywhere locally I could get it rebuilt before telling me that a new one would be £257 + VAT.

Any recommendations? The boat is at Aston Marina in Stone but I live and work in Manchester so anywhere in that area would do.

Thanks

Andy

My domestic alternator is starting to play up. It doesn't get excited easily (takes two or three goes) and the engineer who has had a look at it reckons it is not delivering more than 80% of what it should and is therefore reaching end of serviceable life. A different engineer also told me that the bearings are on their way out so I decided I woluld like to replace the offending article. It has seen almost 8000 hours of service.

The engine is a Nanni and A. R. Peachment asked if there was anywhere locally I could get it rebuilt before telling me that a new one would be £257 + VAT.

Any recommendations? The boat is at Aston Marina in Stone but I live and work in Manchester so anywhere in that area would do.

Thanks

Andy

G E Middleton

359-363 City Road

Manchester M15 4DE

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Sir Nibble,

Peachments thought it was a Valeo 60 until I mentioned I have two and they do not have external fans.

Perhaps you can identify it from the partial photo. The photo was taken to discover the whereabouts of a coolant leak. As you can see it was down to a dodgy installation! The alternator and leak were hidden by the starter alternator which sits directly above.

I notice there is an identification plate on it in the picture. Shame they painted it!

6242657271_727b804918.jpg

Gibbo,

I accept that at least something has gone faulty and I don't particularly want to chuck it away. References to worn out bearings and the fact it has been doused with coolant make me wonder about other components too. I want it to be properly rebuilt so I am not pulling it off again next winter when another component goes faulty or wears out. The boat it belongs too is a shared boat which is why it has clocked up 8000 hours in almost seven years.

The place that Tim has identified looks ideal. It is not far from where I work.

Andy

They are a long way from you, but it may be worth giving these people a ring:- Vehicle Electrics (Birmingham) Ltd, 166 Stockfield Road, Acocks Grn, Birmingham, West Midlands. B27 6AU Tel: 0121 7060688

They will either re-build your alternator, or If you know exactly which alternator it is, sell you a re-conditioned one, and they do mail order as well. I have used them a couple of times and have not found anyone cheaper, or quicker.

They sell a lot through ebay, I have lifted this from their shop , you may be able to identify your alternator from it :- http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Vehicle-Electrics/ALTERNATORS-/_i.html?_fsub=101745419&_sid=213073759&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Edited by David Schweizer

Thanks

Andy

Bowers in Longton, Brilliant service, was there Wed. some prestolite alternators as fitted to some Nanni's now not available but they have an alternative option.

Paul M

Another vote for vehicle Electrics Birmingham. Nice guys, good service even on new years Eve last year and they hold marine stock.

Hmmm. The plot thickens. I went to the boat this morning and removed the alternator without too much difficulty. I went to Bowers in Lomgton. It's a Prestolite 110 Amp and they can't get them anymore. Made in Argentina and the factory fell out with Prestolite according to the guy on the sales counter. Their alternative is currently out of stock.

Drove back to Manchester and went to Middleton's but they close at midday. I shall give them a call on Monday. Otherwise it will be the guys in Birmingham.

Something that occurred to me whilst cruising on the M6. I have two of these alternators, one for domestic and one for the starter battery. 110Amp seems a bit excessive to me just to charge the starter battery. What does everyone else think?