Lynndale

AllanW

Featured Posts

Following an idea from another thread where it was sugested that it might be useful to post details of boats that forum members are interested in - I thought I'd see what you all think of this...

Lynn.JPG

Does anyone know the boat?

I've taken a look at her in Wincham Wharf - it's within my budget, and it looks a great hull with beautiful bow lines, but she needs quite a bit of internal tidying. My thoughts are that even if I have to spend a few thousand getting her refitted next year (along with moving the controls to within reach of the tiller!) it may be a considerably cheaper option than the new one I'm planning

Why should a 'Crowther' prop be a selling point btw? I do know it's huge compared to most that I've seen!

Name: Lynndale

Style: Semi-Trad

Length: 58 feet

Description: 58ft semi-trad by Gary Gorton, 1999, josher style bow, very high quality steelwork and a similar fit-out by the owner in mahogany and ash. Throughout the boat only the best materials have been used, only the best equipment fitted. 15/8/4 steelwork, Beta 1903 engine, PRM 260, Aquadrive, Crowther prop, foam insulation, 5xElecsol batteries, Saninautico pump-out wc, Kabola diesel stove and much more. Conventional lay-out. Absolutely stunning boat, built to last for generations.

Price: £39950

http://www.harralbrokerage.co.uk REF: 4421

Note the 15/8/4! This means there's little ballast and great headroom

Allan

(edit for poor spelling!)

Edited by AllanW

Dont know anything about the boat, but it looks lile a very nice one. Sounds like the prevous owner, which not nessarly massivly knowlable, has taken advise from people around, and not been afraid to spend the off penny.

- Things like the prop, aquadrive, nice hull lines, perfect length, nice deep draft. All things that are very nice to have, and not cheap.

- The elecsols too arent cheap eather, and where sold as being "the best" Although personaly we, and many otheres, havehad bad experences with then in real life. (see past threads)

Crowther is a brand/company name.

- They are well known for making good propellers. Well shaped units, usally large area, and often large diameter.

- This makes the boat swim far nicer, often making it feel more powerfull and respinsive than a cheaper propeller would.

- Large propellers are also better. They suffer from "prop slip" less, and create less wash and turbulance than a smaller one.

- We have a large (26*32") crowther prop on emilyanne, becuase of the low shaft speed the engine produces, and it certainly very nice.

I think allan jones swaped to a crowther prop from a cheaper one that was origanly on keepingup.

- He (or whoever it was) was certainly very impressed with the diffrence it made.

- Again its not the be-all-and-end-all selling point, but its another thing to add to the list of nice touches which will have cost a few bob when new.

Daniel

Looks a reasonable price for a decent hull with good equipment. It's been built to last, so even though it is 6 years old, this will have had little impact.

If it is the sort of thing you have been looking for, then give it a serious look.

Looks a decent boat, but beware if they recommend a surveyor. If you want an explanation PM me and I will explain.

Hi Bernie - a PM is on it's way...

Daniel and Dor - Thanks for the comments! I agree that it's certainly built to last...

Allan

Hi Allan.

Gary Gorton is/was a builder with a reputation for building top quality boats, the 15mm bottom plate can only be a good thing and could be guaranteed to out-live your grandchildren. Crowthers have been manufacturers of high quality props for very many years, the fact that one of theirs is fitted is usually an indication that someone has gone to some lengths to get things right, they offer a service doing all the calculations for a particular boat/ engine combination.

Hi Allan, boat certainly sounds to be worth considering. If the hull sides are indeed 8mm, then there has certainly been a lot of time and effort put in to achieve the shape of those bows. I can vouch for this, having helped to build a narrowboat with 8mm sideplates..........not easy.

If this is mirrored in the rest of the build quality, I'd say........go for it.

All the best..................

This boat used to be moored just down the cut from where I keep mine...

I didn't see it out much, but the guy which currently owns the boat has had numerous boats before, and one of them which now belongs to a friend of mine which was was in good nick when they got it (it still is now, btw).

I beleive the boat has spent most of it's time moored up, I've only ever seen it out a few times but it always looked like it was a well looked after boat.