Disposing of a holding tank

Tesla

Featured Posts

Hi all,

So the refit of Tesla commences with the rip out of the bathroom and bedroom. All that remains now is the old holding tank and I am wondering what the best approach is for its disposal (apart from at arms length obviously <_< )...

The tank is fibreglass, and I think will lift up without too much effort. I think I might also be able to get it out of the bow without cutting it up (preferable as I don't know to what degree the previously owners cleaned it before blocking it off), although I may be being optimistic here.

Having got it ashore though, what next, cut it up and take to the tip, hire a van and take it in one piece, or pay the local council to collect it? What have others done in this situation. And if I have to cut it up aboard, how should I do this to avoid potential close encounters with aged brown stuff?

Apologies if you are (were) eating.

Hi all,

So the refit of Tesla commences with the rip out of the bathroom and bedroom. All that remains now is the old holding tank and I am wondering what the best approach is for its disposal (apart from at arms length obviously <_< )...

The tank is fibreglass, and I think will lift up without too much effort. I think I might also be able to get it out of the bow without cutting it up (preferable as I don't know to what degree the previously owners cleaned it before blocking it off), although I may be being optimistic here.

Having got it ashore though, what next, cut it up and take to the tip, hire a van and take it in one piece, or pay the local council to collect it? What have others done in this situation. And if I have to cut it up aboard, how should I do this to avoid potential close encounters with aged brown stuff?

Apologies if you are (were) eating.

Paid somebody to remove it and thus it became their problem..... B)

On a serious note - I would avoid trying to have to cut it up if at all possible, for the reasons you have alluded to. Take it whole to the tip if you can and explain to them what it is in order that they can arrange it's safe and proper disposal. Not quite the same but we disposed of a macerator toilet at our local tip with no problem.

If in doubt give the local authority a bell in advance and ask in advance so that you don't get there and get turned away.

The sewers in the building housing our bar are old and somewhat quirky, so I spend a fair bit of time sorting out other people's business, so to speak. Wear gloves, a face mask if you like, and crack on bearing in mind consensus has it there are more bacteria in your mouth than at the other end - seems it's old toothbrushes that'll get you. Beware spillages, and don't pick your teeth 'til you've had a shower.

Thanks for the replies. Having remeasured it looks like I will be able to get it out in one piece...which is nice.

Not sure if Ian was joking about putting it on eBay, but guess it may be worth giving it a go, unless anyone here wants to take it off my hands?

Thanks for the replies. Having remeasured it looks like I will be able to get it out in one piece...which is nice.

Not sure if Ian was joking about putting it on eBay, but guess it may be worth giving it a go, unless anyone here wants to take it off my hands?

Go for it...

I'm sure a waste tank with residual human waste will go down a storm.... :P