4 weeks February / March - Ideas?

Pen n Ink

Featured Posts

Moving yet another tiny step closer to our cunning long term Baldrick, we're looking at a trial longer hire for about 4 weeks in February or March; give us a better idea about longer periods on board and also deliberately grotty weather... and see whether we can keep the business going remotely!

Question is; recommendations (discounting stoppages, obviously - and bearing in mind that if we don't make it this year it will be next) for the where, who and what. Please PM me if you don't feel that an "advert" is appropriate.

Just for info there will be just two of us, with a reasonable amount of previous experience (around 10 years of hiring and the dreaded Canaltime as well as seagoing experience)

Thanks.

am sure any boat hire company would provide you with a months hire and you should get a good price. shop around. i think most of the stoppages end around the 10th march and the season begins so id look at booking from around then.

i would try middlewhich narrowboats up north

Edited by canalboater2012

Moving yet another tiny step closer to our cunning long term Baldrick, we're looking at a trial longer hire for about 4 weeks in February or March; give us a better idea about longer periods on board and also deliberately grotty weather... and see whether we can keep the business going remotely!

Question is; recommendations (discounting stoppages, obviously - and bearing in mind that if we don't make it this year it will be next) for the where, who and what. Please PM me if you don't feel that an "advert" is appropriate.

Just for info there will be just two of us, with a reasonable amount of previous experience (around 10 years of hiring and the dreaded Canaltime as well as seagoing experience)

Thanks.

Would a 30ft 3/4 berth currently moored at Penkridge interest you. I have recently bought it and the previous owner had it from new and has taken great care of it, very clean and tidy inside and unusualy for a 30 ft boat has a washroom/loo and seperate fully functional shower compartment, solid fuel stove, fridge, cooker, freeview tv, hot water via engine. have a small honda generator. boat was built in 91. Would suit me to have it being used rather than winterising it, currently i live aboard it alternate weeks but could stay with friends for a month if needs be. Cost open for discussion and if interested contact via PM contact info and more details.

Come spring imay even be selling it due to disability, thought i could cope with locks on my own,and sadly discovered i cant :(

Edited by Kyloe

Thanks.

I reckon you are making a very wise decision with your proposed Feb/March hire. You are probably aware that those are two of the months when there are often long term planned stoppages for maintenance work.

I suggest you first do a search of all the planned stoppages for that time so you can plan accordingly. Then ask again about routes, hire companies etc

March 2012 was by far the best month last year ..... I hope 2003 is similar.

Good luck and please get back with more questions!

I reckon you are making a very wise decision with your proposed Feb/March hire. You are probably aware that those are two of the months when there are often long term planned stoppages for maintenance work.

I suggest you first do a search of all the planned stoppages for that time so you can plan accordingly. Then ask again about routes, hire companies etc

March 2012 was by far the best month last year ..... I hope 2003 is similar.

Good luck and please get back with more questions!

2003 ? :lol:

Would a 30ft 3/4 berth currently moored at Penkridge interest you. I have recently bought it and the previous owner had it from new and has taken great care of it, very clean and tidy inside and unusualy for a 30 ft boat has a washroom/loo and seperate fully functional shower compartment, solid fuel stove, fridge, cooker, freeview tv, hot water via engine. have a small honda generator. boat was built in 91. Would suit me to have it being used rather than winterising it, currently i live aboard it alternate weeks but could stay with friends for a month if needs be. Cost open for discussion and if interested contact via PM contact info and more details.

Come spring imay even be selling it due to disability, thought i could cope with locks on my own,and sadly discovered i cant :(

Kyloe, thats a great offer for someone and would be a great introduction in living aboard during the "quieter season" months.

It's a shame you have found that you struggle with the locks. Have you thought about relocating the boat to somewhere like Calf Heath where only one stop lock at Autherly gives you a large cruising range, or even on the Coventry Canal, where only the stop Lock at Hawkesbury allows you to go from Fradley, through to the far side of Rugby, and down into Coventry?

Kyloe, thats a great offer for someone and would be a great introduction in living aboard during the "quieter season" months.

It's a shame you have found that you struggle with the locks. Have you thought about relocating the boat to somewhere like Calf Heath where only one stop lock at Autherly gives you a large cruising range, or even on the Coventry Canal, where only the stop Lock at Hawkesbury allows you to go from Fradley, through to the far side of Rugby, and down into Coventry?

My ambition would really be to base her on the Union Canal in Scotland where 30 years ago we lived in a canal side cottage, did a lot of canal clean ups, and supported the then Winchburgh Canal society. In those days there were numerous blockages preventing one from cruising from Edinburgh to Falkirk, now its a clear run all the way and no locks. Alas lack of funds and poor health wont allow this dream ambition.

Kyloe - Many thanks - PM sent.

Thanks to all who have sent messages so far - and we all wish we could step back AT LEAST to 2003 - think of all the mistakes we wouldn't make!

Even thinking about this gets us all excited an unnecessary... a familiar feeling amongst most members here, I guess!

It is indeed a good offer that Kyloe has suggested.

Not wishing to be a damp squib or anything I would just mention it is important to check with your insurance if you plan to lend/hire your boat out. While I am not suggesting that Pen N Ink would not take very good care of it there is a potential for insurace to become invallid if the boat is hired out and no one would want any problems to arise

It is indeed a good offer that Kyloe has suggested.

Not wishing to be a damp squib or anything I would just mention it is important to check with your insurance if you plan to lend/hire your boat out. While I am not suggesting that Pen N Ink would not take very good care of it there is a potential for insurace to become invallid if the boat is hired out and no one would want any problems to arise

Thank you for the very sound advice, i had thought about this aspect and will discuss with Pen N Ink if he wants to take things further. One way round might be to class him as a friend of family and even possibly add his name to the policy, as for any money changing hands one could ask for sensible donation to cover fuel, gaz, etc.

Obviously one would have to ensure ones suitability of handling and caring for what is my own N/B, I keep it spotlessly clean and very tidy, and a non smoker to boot.

Clearly a great deal of trust and judgement is needed on both sides, but the offer still remains.

Just for the record the safety cert expires 2014, and license expires in may.

Kyloe...if you're struggling with locks and want to do some cruising then just put out a request on here...there are loads of folk who would be delighted to help..

Pen n Ink....good luck!

Janet

Thanks for the tip, your top of my list :lol:

Need to wait for warmer days though, my ice breaking days doing Santa cruises are long since gone :lol:

Kyloe - Many thanks - PM sent.

Thanks to all who have sent messages so far - and we all wish we could step back AT LEAST to 2003 - think of all the mistakes we wouldn't make!

Even thinking about this gets us all excited an unnecessary... a familiar feeling amongst most members here, I guess!

There's a great butcher at Penkridge who makes his own pies, hams, bacon, sausages, etc., and in particular some superb black pudding.

I'd just moor there for a month and have breakfast three times a day.

There's a great butcher at Penkridge who makes his own pies, hams, bacon, sausages, etc., and in particular some superb black pudding.

I'd just moor there for a month and have breakfast three times a day.

Is that the butcher just round the corner from Barclays bank. or the one in the high street. I find the bakers also great for pies and their cakes are mouth watering, only prob is they are very popular bakers and there is always a line of customers often out onto the pavement