Wood chopping

anhar

Featured Posts

The boat I have on order for delivery next year has a solid fuel stove as standard although I have specified a diesel fuelled central heating system as an extra. Consequently I didn't think I'd ever use the stove, believing them to be dirty, difficult to control and create work in getting the fuel on board and disposing of the ash etc.

However a friend had some tree branches in her garden and her neighbour's that she wanted cleared, mostly apple, so I thought I might give the stove a go, more as an addition to the ch for the cosiness of a real fire on certain occasions rather than as a sole source of heat. I won't be a liveaboard but would like to spend time on the boat in the colder weather.

So I bought me a bow saw and set about cutting the branches I'd lopped off into stove sized logs. The larger branches are about 3-4 inches diameter and I've been sawing them into roughly 3" lengths. There's a lot of small diameter branches too, off the main ones.

At first I thought I'd get a chainsaw but even the cheapest I could find would cost over £150 including some safety equipment so I decided to see how I'd get on with the bow saw and my right arm. It's been hard work but I now have a modest pile of the larger logs plus a lot of the smaller bits stacked on a plank and seasoning in my own garden. There are more branches on those same trees that can be cut so I may do some more. Also a recent walk along the towpath of the GU Paddington Branch by Horsendon Hill and the surrounding parkland revealed a fair number of suitable sized branches that had fallen or were cut from trees and were just lying around so I don't think there is going to be a shortage. I've already retrieved one and cut it up at my friend's place as she's near there.

I'm now actually looking forward to burning the logs in my stove, something I never thought I'd say, and have enjoyed sawing them up too.

I don't know how much one would have to pay for a sack of seasoned fire logs for the boat, if they are sold at all, say a roughly similar size to a standard pack of solid fuel, anyone know? I'd be interested to hear.

Whatever, I haven't been doing this to save money on diesel fuel or solid fuel, more for the pleasure I've gotten out of it. This whole boat gig really does change your outlook on life, and I haven't even got the thing yet.

regards

Steve

Our local tree surgeon delivers a truck-load that lasts us all winter for £65! It was a bit of a shock when he turned up first time. Good thing is that the wood is all seasoned. Newly felled trees dont burn so well.

We bought an electric saw from B&Q with a rough blade attachment, for about £15. You will see a lot of boats with various fallen branches on their roofs, ours included. I let them dry out, then cut them up when I have a moment and store them in the POD that we have on the roof for that purpose. Forraging for these logs in woods that we pass is a great pleasure.

Martin

I pay about £3 for a bag of logs (equivalent in size to a standard pack of coal), but they can be difficult to track down. Easier to buy a load from a tree surgeon.

Great things about logs, they look good when they burn and they warm you twice, once when sawing and again when burning.

I also have diesel ch but rarely use it - prefer the stove.

Can anyone advise me on storing wood? It'll have to be on the roof, but should I stack logs directly on the roof or raise em off slightly with some sort of palette? Will it cause damp/rust to have drying wood in close contact?

Hi Carrie

Yes, raise the logs above the roof, protect from direct rain but ensure a good air flow. Ideally they should be allowed to 'season' for at least a year. They will burn cleaner, less soot and tar in the chimney.

Hi Carrie

We used to use plastic bread crates.

Hi Steve fruitwoods smell lovely when they burn, especially apple.

A decent chainsaw and clothing by the time you have bought a combi can etc would probably be nearer £400 - 500. Dont spend that unless you get into it.

We found loads and loads of branches on the GU in winter, also stuff stacked near locks that BW had pulled out.

I pay about £3 for a bag of logs (equivalent in size to a standard pack of coal), but they can be difficult to track down. Easier to buy a load from a tree surgeon.

Great things about logs, they look good when they burn and they warm you twice, once when sawing and again when burning.

I also have diesel ch but rarely use it - prefer the stove.

Only £3? :angry: Blimey Graham and it's cheaper still in bulk from a tree surgeon.

That's my business idea of selling packs of seasoned logs to boaters blown then. All that work for a lousy £3. A bargain I'd say - for the buyer.

regards

Steve

A decent chainsaw and clothing by the time you have bought a combi can etc would probably be nearer £400 - 500. Dont spend that unless you get into it.

Nothing wrong with a bowsaw eather, thats what we use for tree work in our "forest"

- Although we did give in and get a petrol strimmer this year (skihl fs500, with steel blade)

- 5hours with a pair of shears before being able to put up the tent was geting a little bit silly!

Daniel

Often the tree surgeon charges a good whack for the felling/pruning work, so they are happy to get rid of the logs for not a lot, after all they are paid to remove them in bite sized pieces.

In the west country I knew who of a few tree surgeons who gave wood to pensioners, it got rid of it and it helped out vulnerable people at the same time.

That's my business idea of selling packs of seasoned logs to boaters blown then. All that work for a lousy £3. A bargain I'd say - for the buyer.

You could always chop, quarter and season the wood then buy a small wood lathe (picked mine up second-hand for thirty quid) then make tiller handles and stuff. Fruit woods can turn nicely. I've not made one for ours yet, but I've got a nice piece of pear wood lined up for it.

they went last week then came back now they have gone again.

Where are they hosted? My pics are all on photobucket, and if I don't visit for 3 months my free account will lapse and all my pic links will be broken.

Can anyone advise me on storing wood? It'll have to be on the roof, but should I stack logs directly on the roof or raise em off slightly with some sort of palette? Will it cause damp/rust to have drying wood in close contact?

I passed a nb, few weeks ago and most of the wood on the roof had sprouted new shoots to start its own forrest. :angry: