Damn Fridge

Psycloud

Featured Posts

Switched the old 12v one on again last night just to see what happened. I could here it running then after a while (didn't check how long) it started flashing lights again. 3 this time:

Motor start error

The rotor is blocked or I pressure in the refrigeration system is too

high. More than 73 psi (5 bar)

Anyway - it's out now. New 240v fridge installed and it's great. Ran it for 12hrs last night and checked our electric meter usage - not moved (drops 20p a time), and that's with the TV and satellite running for 4hrs and the 240v (low energy) bedside lamp running all night.

Not sure whether to just stick the 12v in storage, sell it or repair it.

David

My two cents = I've lived aboard for almost 7 years and have never bothered running the fridge at all. From here on in to around March, food stays cold in the back cabin as I close that room off and only heat two thirds of the boat. If this is not an option for you, you can put food in a sealed plastic box in your cratch/bow area just as effectively.

I always buy and cook fresh food so when I have an excess of meat and dairy from any shop, I'll pick up a bag or two of ice and put that food in the cool box for the couple of days before I cook it and eat it.

This year I'll be looking forward to getting a fridge connected and the electrics sorted out to sustain one but it will never be a 240volt number.

I personally think you will come to regret the 240volt fridge decision if you become full time cruisers as it's just impossible to sustain that level of charge. Think about what would make you more comfortable when cruisng rather than when in a marina.

My two cents = I've lived aboard for almost 7 years and have never bothered running the fridge at all. From here on in to around March, food stays cold in the back cabin as I close that room off and only heat two thirds of the boat. If this is not an option for you, you can put food in a sealed plastic box in your cratch/bow area just as effectively.

I always buy and cook fresh food so when I have an excess of meat and dairy from any shop, I'll pick up a bag or two of ice and put that food in the cool box for the couple of days before I cook it and eat it.

This year I'll be looking forward to getting a fridge connected and the electrics sorted out to sustain one but it will never be a 240volt number.

I personally think you will come to regret the 240volt fridge decision if you become full time cruisers as it's just impossible to sustain that level of charge. Think about what would make you more comfortable when cruisng rather than when in a marina.

Hi

My last boat that I sold only last year was all mains kit. The fridge which I never switched off was mains as was the tv etc. We had only three 110 A/H batteries running a mastervolt inverter which was never switched off. We were without shoreline for 3 years with this setup and it worked very vey well. The crucial point is to buy a very good inverter, the difference between cheapo stuff like stirling and mastervolt is huge. Also we had good quality low draw fridge etc. We charged about three hours a day in the worst of winter via the engine and less in the summer because of good old solar panels.

Tim

Switched the old 12v one on again last night just to see what happened. I could here it running then after a while (didn't check how long) it started flashing lights again. 3 this time:

Motor start error

The rotor is blocked or I pressure in the refrigeration system is too

high. More than 73 psi (5 bar)

Anyway - it's out now. New 240v fridge installed and it's great. Ran it for 12hrs last night and checked our electric meter usage - not moved (drops 20p a time), and that's with the TV and satellite running for 4hrs and the 240v (low energy) bedside lamp running all night.

Not sure whether to just stick the 12v in storage, sell it or repair it.

David

I'm possibly talking rubbish, but sometimes equipment needs several tries to get it going - and you've seen part of that.

Might be worth restarting several times to see if it recovers?

If it's the compressor that's failed, I think you'll find a replacement + fitting almost as exoensive as a new (mains fridge). I recall a cost of about £180 + VAT some years ago. Hardly worth it if the case is in poor condition.

It's one of those transition things - we're moving from a big house and a very good lifestyle onto a small boat (and hopefully a more relaxed lifestyle) but in order to do this we need to sort of ease into it or it will just be World War III the whole time. A few creature comforts in the beginning (fridge, TV, hot water) will help us when it comes to deciding to (a) return to dry land, (B ) Start CCing or © keep a mooring but cruise a bit.

If we decide to CC we will probably fix or replace the 12v fridge, or run the inverter for the 240v fridge (solar system will be in place by Spring). :)

David

I'm possibly talking rubbish, but sometimes equipment needs several tries to get it going - and you've seen part of that.

Might be worth restarting several times to see if it recovers?

If it's the compressor that's failed, I think you'll find a replacement + fitting almost as exoensive as a new (mains fridge). I recall a cost of about £180 + VAT some years ago. Hardly worth it if the case is in poor condition.

Think this will have to wait as the new one is awesome and I am less inclined to be bothered about the old one until we have a need for it. Like you say £180 probably hardly worth it now. :)

David

Edited by Psycloud

Hi

My last boat that I sold only last year was all mains kit. The fridge which I never switched off was mains as was the tv etc. We had only three 110 A/H batteries running a mastervolt inverter which was never switched off. We were without shoreline for 3 years with this setup and it worked very vey well. The crucial point is to buy a very good inverter, the difference between cheapo stuff like stirling and mastervolt is huge. Also we had good quality low draw fridge etc. We charged about three hours a day in the worst of winter via the engine and less in the summer because of good old solar panels.

Tim

Wow then I stand all the way corrected.

It's one of those transition things - we're moving from a big house and a very good lifestyle onto a small boat (and hopefully a more relaxed lifestyle) but in order to do this we need to sort of ease into it or it will just be World War III the whole time. A few creature comforts in the beginning (fridge, TV, hot water) will help us when it comes to deciding to (a) return to dry land, (B ) Start CCing or © keep a mooring but cruise a bit.

If we decide to CC we will probably fix or replace the 12v fridge, or run the inverter for the 240v fridge (solar system will be in place by Spring). :)

David

Think this will have to wait as the new one is awesome and I am less inclined to be bothered about the old one until we have a need for it. Like you say £180 probably hardly worth it now. :)

David

Good luck with it. The thing with boats is that the more you try to fit them out like houses the less comfortable they become because there are then so many more variables that can go wrong with the set up. If you try and make everything as simple as possible then if it goes wrong, the solution to the problem is often simple too and then comfort is restored.

Good luck with it. The thing with boats is that the more you try to fit them out like houses the less comfortable they become because there are then so many more variables that can go wrong with the set up. If you try and make everything as simple as possible then if it goes wrong, the solution to the problem is often simple too and then comfort is restored.

Thanks :) We're trying to employ a "if we don't have an immediate use for it then it's not coming aboard policy". Half the reason for moving is to de-clutter our lives and we won't be filling the boat with all that crap. I've just packed the Baileys so we now have an immediate use for the ice box in the new fridge :D