Christopher James

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Taken this morning (2-Oct-12) at the top of the Deepcut flight of locks on the Basingstoke.

DSCF7663.JPG

CHRISTOPHER JAMES was the first 'working boat' I ever steered, and one of the first narrow boats I ever steered at all. We even used it to remove many of the redundant day boats from Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd., Coombeswood in 1976, towing them in 'trains' of four or five. The last time I saw CHRISTOPHER JAMES (about 10 years ago) I felt it had become more akin to a river launch, especially with its planked and varnished fore deck - very nice though :captain:

Good photo, Leo - and it looks as if someone is looking after her very well.

I saw her sister vessel 'James Loader' at Braunston recently. She was moored between a full-length working boat and the bank, and thus invisible from the canal. I only noticed her because I went to Tony Redshaw's workshop which is adjacent.

Edited by Athy

CHRISTOPHER JAMES was the first 'working boat' I ever steered, and one of the first narrow boats I ever steered at all. We even used it to remove many of the redundant day boats from Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd., Coombeswood in 1976, towing them in 'trains' of four or five. The last time I saw CHRISTOPHER JAMES (about 10 years ago) I felt it had become more akin to a river launch, especially with its planked and varnished fore deck - very nice though :captain:

Pete - I tend to agree. Whilst I keep my boat clean (and it is a bit shiny after a recent repaint) I feel a working boat should look like a working boat. Christopher James is a lovely boat but it doesn't quite 'cut the mustard' for me purely on the basis of it looks too clean and shiny and doesn't have the patina of a working boat. It's been in Deepcut Dry Dock (the poly tunnel in the background which covers a 'lock' with a brick end wall ) for quite some time I understand having extensive work undertaken especially around the counter, where, as a wooden boat, it's suffered a bit over the years.

It underwent a huge restoration project in the early 90s on the hard at Bulls Bridge - I seem to remember a new counter block going on at the time - but I suppose that's 20 years ago. The guy who owns it has always looked after it as a 'boat for life' - he wanted it from the moment he saw it and will (so say), never sell it.

It underwent a huge restoration project in the early 90s on the hard at Bulls Bridge - I seem to remember a new counter block going on at the time - but I suppose that's 20 years ago. The guy who owns it has always looked after it as a 'boat for life' - he wanted it from the moment he saw it and will (so say), never sell it.

Anyone know if "Joan" or "Joan 2" are still extant? The other "lost" tug is "Pat" but that is lost at Lane Head wharf where its remains are still in one piece but under water and reeds now. I think its fair to say most of the latter LLL tugs inc the ful length motors are still are around

Good photo, Leo - and it looks as if someone is looking after her very well.

I saw her sister vessel 'James Loader' at Braunston recently. She was moored between a full-length working boat and the bank, and thus invisible from the canal. I only noticed her because I went to Tony Redshaw's workshop which is adjacent.

Point of order yer'onour...

'CHRISTOPHER and JAMES are boys' names. Therefore CHRISTOPHER JAMES and JAMES LOADER are boys not girls, and should not be referred to as 'her', IMO

Mike

Heres a pic of 'her' (always a female... you try telling one what to do) when in a more industrial finish.... for the purists lol.

tug_christopher_james.jpg

As is pointed out below this is a poor reproduction of a photo taken by Chris Clegg and authorised for use by Laurence in his range of DVDs and videos.

For my part it was on a website which went out of service and was made available to use in its entirety.

Edited by AMModels

Point of order yer'onour...

'CHRISTOPHER and JAMES are boys' names. Therefore CHRISTOPHER JAMES and JAMES LOADER are boys not girls, and should not be referred to as 'her', IMO

Mike

I can only quote an old Sussex farmers' saying.

Everything's a she except a bull, and she's a he.

Heres a pic of 'her' (always a female... you try telling one what to do) when in a more industrial finish.... for the purists lol.

tug_christopher_james.jpg

Point of order Andy thats a Chris Clegg picture which should be credited as such also its a poor copy of the original.

Chris Clegg took this and we were given his permission to use it in our films and media.

CJ in true glory when working.

gallery_5000_522_163380.jpg

Thanks for the information Laurence, as I have clarified above I received the above picture along with a wealth of other information from a now defunct website and received permission to use it in its entirety from the webmaster. I had no idea where it came from and as you say it is a poorer version than the one you reproduced for everyone here.

• 1 month later...

Pete - I tend to agree. Whilst I keep my boat clean (and it is a bit shiny after a recent repaint) I feel a working boat should look like a working boat. Christopher James is a lovely boat but it doesn't quite 'cut the mustard' for me purely on the basis of it looks too clean and shiny and doesn't have the patina of a working boat. It's been in Deepcut Dry Dock (the poly tunnel in the background which covers a 'lock' with a brick end wall ) for quite some time I understand having extensive work undertaken especially around the counter, where, as a wooden boat, it's suffered a bit over the years.

Christopher James has always been extremely well looked after by her owner Andrew Hall. I have worked alongside Andrew on the boat for many years icluding fitting about 30 feet of new bottom boards in the Deepcut dry dock and its a been pleasure to have done so. The last major work this year was to replace aprox 20 feet of bottom side planks as well as a new stern post. in a previous comment about replacement of the stern post at Bulls Bridge, no it wasnt it was only capped. All the work on the boat is carried out in the tradional methods and wherever possible traditional materials. As to her looking too clean & tidy for a working boat, she is a retired working boat and why shoulnt she always look her best for her age?

Edited by Basyfart