Danube Crayfish attends C&RT annual meeting

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Today was the first "annual meeting" of the new CRT. The venue was the former Fellows, Morton & Clayton base in Fazeley st Birmingham. This was the depot bombed in WW2.

Along with CEO Robin Evans & the CRT crew was a number of other exhibits, including a large Danube Crayfish found in a BCN resevoir.

The event went well and was quite a nice social meeting.

A lot of proper contacts and business was discussed.

Two K&A protesters gave out leaflets - outside.

Now guess who wanted the crayfish? Yes I wanted it for my garden pool, however Paul Wilkinson assured me that it would be a problem, I didnt know they come out on land for a start, also it was quite aggresive, so sadly I left poor thing to its fate. Tony Hales kept on about garlic being good for it ................

Tug Enterprise in the arm which had a direct hit from a German bomb in 1942:

gallery_5000_522_107375.jpg

Paul Wilkinson with the Danube Crayfish:

gallery_5000_522_34660.jpg

Tony Hales opens up in the warehouse:

gallery_5000_522_32329.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Sod the agenda, I want that tug, despite its rear-bulkhead graphic of a fat bloke waving his arms in the air.

As for the crayfish, if you had been peacefully swimming in the Danube and then suddenly found yourself being waved about in mid-air in England, you'd probably get aggressive too.

Edited by Athy

Only til Athy gets up there, and talks him out of owning it !

Oh how time flies. In 1972 Ray Thomas (Ernies son) offered me the "Enterprise" tug for £1000. As we were buying a house that sort of money wasnt on hand so I had to say no. Ray had lost interest in the canal business and was selling everything off, in the background of the picture can be seen the remains of the wet dock he had just demolished.

The picture was taken on the day it was offered:

gallery_5000_522_18430.jpg