Insurance Policies

sooz

Featured Posts

Hello, us again =/

Having looked through the forum we've failed to find a thread to provide us with quite the information we need, so another new one it is, I'm afraid.

We're in the process of getting some narrowboat insurance quotes, but I wondered what sort of things we might specifically be wanting to look out for in the policies (or indeed, what will they try to catch you out on?). I can't think of much offhand, but what's important to us would be optional breakdown cover (full of confidence, of course!) and any wording on the passenger limit - we're looking at a 6 berth 55", but there are occasions when we would want to take another family away with us and chuck a couple of roll mats down for the kids so would want to be able to take 8 people once in a while (4 big grownups, 4 tiddly child-type things).

Other than that (and probably because it's late / early) we can't think of much else, so any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks =]

Hello, us again =/

Having looked through the forum we've failed to find a thread to provide us with quite the information we need, so another new one it is, I'm afraid.

We're in the process of getting some narrowboat insurance quotes, but I wondered what sort of things we might specifically be wanting to look out for in the policies (or indeed, what will they try to catch you out on?). I can't think of much offhand, but what's important to us would be optional breakdown cover (full of confidence, of course!) and any wording on the passenger limit - we're looking at a 6 berth 55", but there are occasions when we would want to take another family away with us and chuck a couple of roll mats down for the kids so would want to be able to take 8 people once in a while (4 big grownups, 4 tiddly child-type things).

Other than that (and probably because it's late / early) we can't think of much else, so any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks =]

Are you Continous Cruising/liveaboard? We are - and had to declare this. It wasn't a problem and didn't change the premium. We also made sure we had our contents insured - I think some cheap policies don't cover contents, just the cost of the boat (i.e. like home insurance covering just the building).

On the number of passengers, I would have thought that would be governed by the boat manufactures plate, and that the insurance would cover whatever that says?

Questions that I asked of insurers were about travelling at night, and towing/being towed. Some were full of caveats in those areas, and other were, "that's fine".

Navigators and General (Zurich Ins boaty branch) do a good policy, esp for liveaboards. No restrictions on nightime cruising, covers estuaries connecting inland waterways, would even cover Thames Est to get to the Medway.

I have a new claim with them at the moment for my stolen brand new bicycle. I will report how good they are at settlement!

Navigators and General (Zurich Ins boaty branch) do a good policy, esp for liveaboards. No restrictions on nightime cruising, covers estuaries connecting inland waterways, would even cover Thames Est to get to the Medway.

I have a new claim with them at the moment for my stolen brand new bicycle. I will report how good they are at settlement!

Oh dear - - - - - you bicycle wasn't stolen from your Sawley location was it?

We bought an insurance policy from E&L because it was a good price. Only after reading the small print, did we find that there was a clause which meant the boat wasn't covered for break-ins for longer than about 3 hours, if it was left unattended anywhere except its home mooring (marina). Obviously this might suit some, but for us was perceived as a restriction too far!

So we cancelled it for a full refund (it was online, so this was no hassle) and got some from GJW. This also has a few restrictions, one of them is no single handing at night, but we can live with these.