Internet Access

Swampfrog

Featured Posts

Have you tried it? I very much doubt if the speed is anything like 42 MB/sec. My (limited) experience is that an O2 dongle, when connected in the best 3G network it can, gets about 1.7 (when it says its connected at 7.2) and a 3 dongle gets up to about 3MBps, thats tested with a typical "broadband speed check" website.

Yeah, its a theoretical limit :) And in megabits not bytes so divide by 8 for a 5.25 MB/s maximum. Have has 4ish out of it when near to a mast that's compatible (not all are yet) but usually get less when out in the sticks. Providers also shape real traffic so it gets fiddly. It's also rock solid connection wise, with a good arial connection - have a boosted antenna on the boat from Boaters Phone

Can you tell me what you are upgrading too?

See other reply, Vololink, but they are discontinued. hopefully it stays working.

Edited by oarfish

Forgot to add that I seem to get speeds of anything between about 7Mb to 13Mb with the 3 Mifi - quite amazing, but seems to be true according to some people who seem to know about these things.

This is on the Bridgewater at Stretford, so not the sticks in any sense of the word.

Thank you all so much for your ideas and help......we are going for a Option GlobesurferIII+ with a external Ariel fitted. http://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/index.html This would seem to be the best option?

Rob and Suzie

"Swamp Frogs" coming to a canal near you next April!

Edited by Swampfrog

Thank you all so much for your ideas and help......we are going for a Option GlobesurferIII+ with a external Ariel fitted. http://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/index.html This would seem to be the best option?

Rob and Suzie

"Swamp Frogs" coming to a canal near you next April!

And what network and contract are you going for?

Edited by Richard10002

3 have nasty punishment pricing that kicks in when you hit your limit. 10p a MB. You get a heads up SMS, but no service warning like with t-mobile.

Yes I learnt this to my cost , especially as I can't get the SMS they send. However it's pretty easy to check via the my account route how many MB you have left.