Fridge cable sizing

Featured Posts

Hi. I'm just fitting a fridge. 3 way. Running it off 12v it's an Electrolux which as I understand draw about 10A. The run is about 5 meters. Ive done some calculations and I'm figuring going to need sumin like a 6mm core cable. Anyone got any tips on where to buy this from? Somewhere cheap and reliable. All I know of is tlc. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Cheers.

Hi. I'm just fitting a fridge. 3 way. Running it off 12v it's an Electrolux which as I understand draw about 10A. The run is about 5 meters. Ive done some calculations and I'm figuring going to need sumin like a 6mm core cable. Anyone got any tips on where to buy this from? Somewhere cheap and reliable. All I know of is tlc. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Cheers.

I always order stuff on line, e-bay will have lots to offer. If you wan't to buy locally, give a location.

ETA

I,ve used this company quite a lot, always delivered at decent prices. Good for battery cable too.

http://www.vehicle-w.../cable_menu.php

Edited by Julynian

These people are jolly nice, too. And much cheapness.

CSE Distributors

I bought a load of 16mm2 off them for my fridge. Give them a call, rather than relying on the website, as they will supply multi strand cable above 10mm2, and in shorter lengths than a full 100m reel. Also, when they say "single core", they mean the cable only contains one multi stranded copper conductor, not that it's made from one solid copper bar.

Cheers.

Edit because iPad wrote what it wanted and not what I wanted as usual

Have you worked out what that will do to your batteries. 6 hrs will take a normal leisure battery down to its recommended minimum discharge.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Beware of the 12V operation of 3 way fridges. They are not designed for continuous running in 12V mode without an engine running and supplying the required current, eg fridge in a caravan or motorhome as its being towed or driven. And there is no temperature regulation at 12V either. (Do a search of previous posts, this has come up before and there is much more useful info on the topic).

If the 12V operation is used as recommended, eg only when not using gas or 240V, then remember the voltage to consider (for voltage drop) will be the charging voltage of the alternator, not the battery voltage when not being charged; so the cable size probably isn't as critical it might otherwise be (eg for a compressor fridge).

Edited by Paul C

Just confirm what Paul wrote, not that he needs my confirmation.

Three way fridges of the Electrolux ilk:

12v dc ONLY when engine is running.

240v ac ONLY if shoreline/generator/engine are connected and running in the last two and inverter for the last one as well.

Gas at any time