Hot water issue - newbie question

DomX

Featured Posts

Hi All,

We've just bought our first narrowboat (2006 56' Liverpool Boat) and seem to have an issue with hot water.

If we run the engine, the water heats up really quickly and works just fine. If I run the Webasto, the radiators get nice and hot, but the hot water remains cold. I only left it running for about 30 mins, so maybe I need to wait longer.

Lastly, there's a black switch on a brass plate at the stern next to the cupboard where the hot water tank lives, which I though was an immersion heater (see this pic: switch). We're hooked up to the shoreline and everything seems to be working fine. I switched this switch on yesterday afternoon and left it on overnight, but the hot water was stone cold this morning, so I suspect we either have an issue or the switch operates something else.

Any thoughts as to what I should check?

Thanks in advance,

Dom.

On the black switch, what makes you think it's an immersion heater switch, other than proximity. If it were mine, and I didn't know what it did, I'd have the screws out and see where the wires go.

On the Webasto - did you get a manual? Does it suggest that it should heat hot water? Would it heat it and store it in the calorifier, or does it have it's own storage facility?

Does the calorifier (hot water tank) have (a) an immersion heater element fitted (B) a heating coil connected to the Webasto?

Frank

Hi Frank,

I'm not sure how to check this and I won't be at the boat again for a few days, but the broker who we bought the boat from seemed to think that the Webasto unit was one that heated the water as well as the rads, and that the switch in the photo is an immersion heater that provides hot water when connected to a shoreline.

Dom.

On the black switch, what makes you think it's an immersion heater switch, other than proximity. If it were mine, and I didn't know what it did, I'd have the screws out and see where the wires go.

On the Webasto - did you get a manual? Does it suggest that it should heat hot water? Would it heat it and store it in the calorifier, or does it have it's own storage facility?

Hi Richard,

The broker who we bought the boat from is pretty sure that the switch is an immersion heater switch, but you make a good point... I'll check when I'm next down at the boat.

The Webasto did come with a manual and I also have the LB's 'user guide' that refers to it. Both suggest that the model of Webasto fitted to that length of boat should provide both hot water and radiator heating. I'm not sure about the storage facility... can you guess that I'm new to all this :banghead:

Dom.

You may have to go exploring in nooks and crannies...but many systems have a couple of valves to shut off the calorifier from the radiator system. They are sometimes used by people to 'balance' the flow through the tank against the rads.

May be worth looking about and tracing the pipes to see if you have them ?

Mine are under a panel at my back step that I would not normally remove.

Hi All,

We've just bought our first narrowboat (2006 56' Liverpool Boat) and seem to have an issue with hot water.

If we run the engine, the water heats up really quickly and works just fine. If I run the Webasto, the radiators get nice and hot, but the hot water remains cold. I only left it running for about 30 mins, so maybe I need to wait longer.

Lastly, there's a black switch on a brass plate at the stern next to the cupboard where the hot water tank lives, which I though was an immersion heater (see this pic: switch). We're hooked up to the shoreline and everything seems to be working fine. I switched this switch on yesterday afternoon and left it on overnight, but the hot water was stone cold this morning, so I suspect we either have an issue or the switch operates something else.

Any thoughts as to what I should check?

Thanks in advance,

Dom.

I think its a good guess that the switch having a neon indicator does control an immersion heater. Can I assume the neon glows when switch is on?

In any case locate the calorifier. Check its has the round head of an immersion heater fitted via a large diameter boss, and that its wired up. It should also have in/out connections to two internal heating coils, one for engine & hopefully a second for Webasto. Trace the Webasto one and you may find a dedicated shut-off/control valve (mines near the heater). If fitted ensure its fully open.

I think its a good guess that the switch having a neon indicator does control an immersion heater. Can I assume the neon glows when switch is on?

In any case locate the calorifier. Check its has the round head of an immersion heater fitted via a large diameter boss, and that its wired up. It should also have in/out connections to two internal heating coils, one for engine & hopefully a second for Webasto. Trace the Webasto one and you may find a dedicated shut-off/control valve (mines near the heater). If fitted ensure its fully open.

Thanks Richard... I'll check next time I'm on the boat.

Dom.