BCN Day boat rudders

stagedamager

Featured Posts

Evening all,

I have another query which i hope the collective may be able to help me with.

Is there a resource anywhere which i may be able to tap into which would show me the different styles of BCN day boat rudders?

I would like to build one for BCN 1645, but at the same time i would like it to be relatively authentic.

Thank you in advance

Dan

Evening all,

I have another query which i hope the collective may be able to help me with.

Is there a resource anywhere which i may be able to tap into which would show me the different styles of BCN day boat rudders?

I would like to build one for BCN 1645, but at the same time i would like it to be relatively authentic.

Thank you in advance

Dan

Not something I know anything about myself but I wonder whether Bernard Hales (Enterprise) might be able to help as he owns a few and does actually tow them about; or that the BCN Society might have photos that would be helpful, or be able to point you in the direction of other photo collections? Apologies if that's stating the obvious.

This might help. The BCN day / joey boats rudder was essentially the same construction as other long distance boats but was lighter in weight. This was pricipally because most of the boats were double ended and the rudder had to be changed over. The boat in the picture below shows a typical example. Not the rudder stock is not as thick in section compared to say a GU butty one. Thet

iller too was smaller and lighter. In may yards there would be a stack of rudders in a corner and they got swapped about between boats. A common feature was the carving of the companies initials into the stock and the tiller to prevent theft.

Taken at Wednefield on the Wyrley on the run to the Weldless tube on the Bentley Canal.

gallery_5000_522_127685.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

The one Malcolm did for the Spoon dredger I believe is fairly close to original. The ironwork is certainly the real thing.

I made a direct copy of a Leonard Leigh helm for the 'Coronation' many years ago, and (AFAIR) re-used the ironwork. I don't know whether it still carries the same one. I think the top of the original Ram's Head might still be lying in the grass, I'll check this afternoon and measure it if it's there.

Tim

Thank you Laurence,

As an aside, do you know what dimension the rudder stock would have been or did it vary from yard to yard?

Dan

I am guessing this but around 8" long 6" wide at the top. I used to have one in the garden years ago and it was easy to lift unlike a one off a Shroppy fly which took two people to move it.

I made a direct copy of a Leonard Leigh helm for the 'Coronation' many years ago, and (AFAIR) re-used the ironwork. I don't know whether it still carries the same one. I think the top of the original Ram's Head might still be lying in the grass, I'll check this afternoon and measure it if it's there.

Tim

Very strange, I can't find any trace of it but have a distinct recollection of 'tripping over' it a few days ago, a bit surprised it was still there and identifiable. Maybe I dreamt it, but if so an interesting coincidence.

Tim

No worries Tim, if i had a tenner for everytime i thought i knew where something was, and then it isn't.......

Laurence,

Would the rudder stock have tapered towards the bottom pintle like a Woolwich, or Saltley rudder would, aiding water to the blade, or would it have been a piece of, say 8 x 6 (hypothetically) with no shape added to it?

No worries Tim, if i had a tenner for everytime i thought i knew where something was, and then it isn't.......

Laurence,

Would the rudder stock have tapered towards the bottom pintle like a Woolwich, or Saltley rudder would, aiding water to the blade, or would it have been a piece of, say 8 x 6 (hypothetically) with no shape added to it?

The one I had tapered slightly although others I saw were just plain box section, the "blade" was quite large however like the one in the picture and unlike Malcolm's which is quite short.

Here are some more I have cut from a larger picture. Sorry they are not that good. I'll see what else I can dig out.

76.jpg

78.jpg

77.jpg

Can't these pics to work properly. Follow link to my photobucket account and you can see them.

Edited by Speedwheel