Moisture resistant MDF

Featured Posts

Hello

I'm looking at making some cabinets/fitted furniture units for my canal boat project.

I've been told to avoid using MDF as it will be affected by the damp/condensation and will/may then eventually swell.bloat and become damaged.

This sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. So normally I will be using a decent quality marine ply for the backing boards (for veneered boards).

These can be obtained, but unfortunately it seems you have to wait a good few days (maybe even a couple of weeks) to get the boards made, as boards based on marine ply are not standard/items.

Nearly all veneered boards (for furniture) seem to be based on MDF.

There is such a thing as 'moisture resistant' MDF, which is apparently fairly common (bathrooms, though I've not direct personal experience of these.

Has anyone used such a product and did they find it to be suitable?

It might well be that using such a backing board still requires a considerable lead time, so will not any quicker than using marine ply (though my feeling is that it should be cheaper, though I need to check in to this a bit more)

Regards

Danny

I've used green MDF for a tiled counter in my my bathroom. It's fully exposed underneath and 4 years on it's still as good as new.

I think there are a couple of different grades of this stuff, so make sure you get the moisture-resistant grade.

The other thing I'd say is that while some dampness in a bathroom is to be expected (and should be vented out), there's no reason for any other internal living space inside a boat to be damp. If it is there's something wrong.

Edited by blackrose

I've used green MDF for a tiled counter in my my bathroom. It's fully exposed underneath and 4 years on it's still as good as new.

I think there are a couple of different grades of this stuff, so make sure you get the moisture-resistant grade.

The other thing I'd say is that while some dampness in a bathroom is to be expected (and should be vented out), there's no reason for any other internal living space inside a boat to be damp. If it is there's something wrong.

Hello

I see, .... I've read things to that effect in some of the other related topics.

Normally I should be able to rig up a fairly well developed Ventilation system, so I'm hopeful that damp won' be a problem.

Though I'd like to veer on the side of caution, ...... I might be away from the boat for some periods of time and wouldn't want to come back and find out there were all sorts of problems with my (expensive) cabinets. I realise there are winterisation procedures, but still, ........

Guess I'll have to do a bit more research/reading up and then make a decision

Cheers

There are four different sorts.

Normal. Don't touch it

MR. Fine for internal work.

Exterior. Used outside if it's treated correctly.

Tricoya. Guaranteed for fifty years exterior use.

Twelve years ago I fitted out a Cafe Rouge shop front. We used exterior grade. It was primed both sides then under coated and top coat. It has had its touching ups here and there but that's normal wear and tear. Its still there. This would be highly reccomended for interior use. It's expensive though.

There is also a difference in makes and quality. Ie you get what you pay for.

Steve P

Edited by fudd

I see

Thanks for that

Normally then I've found a board supplier that holds veneered MR MDF boards in stock.

I'm going to give that a go and see how it pans out. We'll be adding a hardwood edge strip in certain situations that will be getting a bit more wear and tear.

I'll let you know how it pans out.

I see

Thanks for that

Normally then I've found a board supplier that holds veneered MR MDF boards in stock.

I'm going to give that a go and see how it pans out. We'll be adding a hardwood edge strip in certain situations that will be getting a bit more wear and tear.

I'll let you know how it pans out.

Just to add that I've used MR MDF (the green stuff) on another project and found it fine. I know someone who experimented with leaving some of the green in a bowl of water for a while and it was remarkably resilient.

Roger

Just to add that I've used MR MDF (the green stuff) on another project and found it fine. I know someone who experimented with leaving some of the green in a bowl of water for a while and it was remarkably resilient.

Roger

I left a big offcut outside on the pontoon for about 6 months after fitting out my bathroom. Eventually I gave it to a neighbour who wanted something to make a cupboard shelf. It was still fine, although I don't know what grade of green MDF it was.

I left a big offcut outside on the pontoon for about 6 months after fitting out my bathroom. Eventually I gave it to a neighbour who wanted something to make a cupboard shelf. It was still fine, although I don't know what grade of green MDF it was.

As far as I understand it green is the moisture resistant type and, I am told, there is a blue moisture proof version but I have no personal knowledge of the moisture proof stuff.

Roger

Roger

I left some soaking for a long time, plywood would have given up long before then.