any boats for sale?

jackiejet195

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am trying to buy a boat on not much budget, if anyone knows of anything for sale. I have quite a bit of knowledge of the narrowboat world and know I'm probably dreaming when I say my spec would be: 45' to 50', all steel, not too old, no structural work needed, clean and fairly contemporary inside, budget of £20,000 ideally with fixed double, multi fuel burner, water heater etc etc etc. Would consider a sailaway with mains ring, gas and plumbing in place, lined etc, maybe a boat builders has old stock for sale at a reduced price. I've been looking at all the normal internet sites for a few months now and regretfully said no to a 50' all steel hancock and Lane 1983 boat at £17,000 when I managed to get first refusal. Anyone got any suggestions or know of any boats? I live in london but am willing to travel to look. Thanks alot, jackie

The right length, but again, over budget...

50ft 1993 John White Narrowboat. Isuzu engine, 4 berths, nice clean and tidy, well looked after boat, based on the Bridgewater at the moment. £35,950.

Hi, thanks for suggestions so far, I seem to spend hours trawling apollo, boats and outboards, ebay and marina sales as well as asking arund friends who live on boats...anyway, keep suggestions coming in! Cheers Jackie

HI Jackie,

There is a nice looking tug on ebay, up to £14.500 last time I looked, I've been following the progress of "Icarus" been up for sale for ages, nice looking little boat, was up with Alvechurch, apolloduck and then ebay, quite fancied it but it was way too small for the Proudfoot-Jervis hoard, they want about £20,000 for it, I book marked it so I can get the email number for you if you want, don't think it sold.

REgards,

Ally p.

HI Jackie,

There is a nice looking tug on ebay, up to £14.500 last time I looked, I've been following the progress of "Icarus" been up for sale for ages, nice looking little boat, was up with Alvechurch, apolloduck and then ebay, quite fancied it but it was way too small for the Proudfoot-Jervis hoard, they want about £20,000 for it, I book marked it so I can get the email number for you if you want, don't think it sold.

REgards,

Ally p.

Icarus was on e-bay again very recently, but like most narrowboats put on there, seemed to dissapear again quite soon after appearing.

From memory it would fail the length criteria. I'm pretty sure it was sub 40 foot.

What I've seen of narrowboats on e-bay, the bidding is seldom what I'd call really serious, and virtually all seem to stay as "reserve price not met" before going off into the ether. (But yes, before people tell me I have that all wrong, I know people on the forum have successfully picked up good deals by this route...)

Jackie,

You've been quite honest about possibly optimistic to get that spec at that budget. You MAY be lucky, but from what I've seen getting that kind of size, structurally sound, without heaps of work being required, they normally come in closer to £30K than £20K.

Stating the obvious, but if you start with a part-fitted 'sailaway-plus' type boat, you are either going to have to acquire it at well under your budget, or expect what you spend on fitting it to take you a lot higher anyway.

I'll keep my eye open though, as I've noticed a few "for sale" banners appearing on boats around here (Hertfordshire) recently.

Good luck with the search....

Hi,

I am trying to buy a boat on not much budget, if anyone knows of anything for sale. I have quite a bit of knowledge of the narrowboat world and know I'm probably dreaming when I say my spec would be: 45' to 50', all steel, not too old, no structural work needed, clean and fairly contemporary inside, budget of £20,000 ideally with fixed double, multi fuel burner, water heater etc etc etc. Would consider a sailaway with mains ring, gas and plumbing in place, lined etc, maybe a boat builders has old stock for sale at a reduced price. I've been looking at all the normal internet sites for a few months now and regretfully said no to a 50' all steel hancock and Lane 1983 boat at £17,000 when I managed to get first refusal. Anyone got any suggestions or know of any boats? I live in london but am willing to travel to look. Thanks alot, jackie

www.narrowcraft.co.uk/ have a 50' boat named Lapworth for £15950 in their brokerage section. Don't know how old it is but might be worth a look.

Mike

If you've got 20k to spend look at boats for 23-27k. Just because people are advertising at that price it doesnt mean they are selling them at that price. You can really knock prices down, certainly 10% and prehaps more.

Try this one:

http://www.boatshopuk.co.uk/index.php/page...boat_index/0187

Yep, but at 40 feet, it fails the 45 to 50 feet criteria again. In my experience those extra feet add quite a lot to the price of a second-hand boat at this price point.

www.narrowcraft.co.uk/ have a 50' boat named Lapworth for £15950 in their brokerage section. Don't know how old it is but might be worth a look.

Mike

Yes, I saw this when I had a browse around last night.

I'm no expert, but I'm slightly suspicious, as it says "steel hulled" rather than "all steel". My understanding is that the original Barney boats had glassfibre cabins, and although it doesn't particularly look like it from the pics, you would need to check what this one has.

The internal picures do it no favours, but if it's the now discontinued 2 cylinder Sabb engine, they have a lovely sound!....

Looks like a steel top judging by the metal hand rail, as apposed to wood hand rails found on wood/grp tops, might be wrong though.

Yes Nigel, that's what I thought, until I looked at picture published in "The Inland Boat Owners Book". It shows an original (which I understand means glassfibre cabined) Barney boat alongside a later all-steel version.

Both have what look like steel handrails, so I'm not convinced this guarantees it's a steel top, (although I agree on grp boats wood is usual).

Don't know much about these boats, though, other than I've seen at least one other up for sale recently. I can't find the details again, though.....

Of course, if Jackie hasn't seen it before, and has any interest, she justs needs to ring them to check....

Of course, if Jackie hasn't seen it before, and has any interest, she justs needs to ring them to check....

and quick, boats this length at that price are been snapped up! Jackie, try and find out any history on the hull, ie hull surveys not more than 5 years old.

Hi everyone, thanks for advice, Lapworth is a wooden top and at present age unknown. I've already said no to a wooden top (2000 build on a 1969 steel hull). Hi Nigel, did you have the Hancock and Lane I came to see?

Hi canalman, i'm just going to check those sites now but go to them regularly anyway. Don't think I said before but I'm looking for a boat for full time residential. Cheers, jackie

Have you seen this one

48' Cruiser Narrowboat "Ladybird Three" By Harbour Marine c.1974, with Lister SR2 13hp Diesel Engine, 4 Berths, Chemical Toilet, Shower, Central Heating, Fridge, Cooker, 12/ 240v Electrics, BSC to Nov 2006,

£19,750

At http://www.surftech.co.uk/canal/venetian/forsaleFrame.htm

Venitian marina

Have you seen this one

48' Cruiser Narrowboat "Ladybird Three" By Harbour Marine c.1974, with Lister SR2 13hp Diesel Engine, 4 Berths, Chemical Toilet, Shower, Central Heating, Fridge, Cooker, 12/ 240v Electrics, BSC to Nov 2006,

£19,750

At http://www.surftech.co.uk/canal/venetian/forsaleFrame.htm

Venitian marina

Again I'm 95% certain this will be a GRP top. Some of these seem to have survived fine, wheras on other I gather it's impossible to stop the leaks.

If you are prepared to go for wood or GRP cabin, (and I'm not going to get into the debate again about the relative merits of each material :cheers: ), then I think you'll find a lot of candidate boats sub £20K.

In my view it's the combination of "all steel" and "at least 45 feet", that will make it a tough act to find anything in this price band that doesn't need quite a bit more spent on it to bring it up to live aboard standard.

Harborough marines built between 1970 - 1980 had grp tops, if this one is steel, its had a new top on. My first HB was built in 1969 and she was all steel. :cheers: infact its on e-bay at the mo, she's called Eagles Providence. Gosh... how boats have gone up in price! I paid 9k but had a full overplate done on top of that. I'll try and find the link.

Here she is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/37ft-liveaboard-Cana...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by nigel carton

Hi Alistair,

i turned down the wooden top as it was a 1969 hull make unknown that hadn't been out of the water or blacked for 5 years let alone surveyed, then with a 2000 build wooden top (not by a boat builder) covered in thick fibre glass. Very nice inside but slight water damage in 2 places. General opinion seems to be that combo of steel and wood not good, they don't hold their value and are not particularly desirable when you want to selll them on. It was for around £12K though. Thanks for everyone's advice! Jackie