Standedge Tunnel

benfordboy

Featured Posts

Not for us (Being Petrol & GRP so the biggest NO NO :( ) But realistically how far in advance to you need to book passage for Standedge Tunnel ?

Have a friend heading North & have also been asked by another who may make a detour up the HNC.

Is it possible to gain passage at short notice ? IIRC Waterscape used to say 3 working days but I suppose that is an advice not a guarantee.

Not for us (Being Petrol & GRP so the biggest NO NO :( ) But realistically how far in advance to you need to book passage for Standedge Tunnel ?

Have a friend heading North & have also been asked by another who may make a detour up the HNC.

Is it possible to gain passage at short notice ? IIRC Waterscape used to say 3 working days but I suppose that is an advice not a guarantee.

The most I've had to book ahead was a week.

I booked on a Monday for the Wednesday. Didn't actually get through because all three slots were taken but otherwise BW said I would be have been able to. The nice lockies even checked for a cancellation on the Tuesday. So I think it's just a capacity thing.

As far as I know, there are three passages in each direction, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It seems booking a couple of days before is ok, providing there is a vacant slot. Obviously more difficult to say when slots will be filled, but my limited experience suggest that you ought to be thinking one or two weeks ahead in the season to get the next vacant slot. For example, we met another boater last week, between Huddersfield and Slaithwaite who hadn't appreciated he needed to book a passage and on ringing BTC/BWB/BW/CaRT on the Monday was allocated a booking Wednesday week.

For example, we met another boater last week, between Huddersfield and Slaithwaite who hadn't appreciated he needed to book a passage and on ringing BTC/BWB/BW/CaRT on the Monday was allocated a booking Wednesday week.

I find it hard to believe that, 11 years after Standedge re-opened, there are still boaters who get that near or even nearer to the tunnel with no idea that they need to book. But I do know that this happens though, as I have met such boaters myself. I can't imagine not planning a journey over unfamiliar waters and having a read about what to expect!

I find it hard to believe that, 11 years after Standedge re-opened, there are still boaters who get that near or even nearer to the tunnel with no idea that they need to book. But I do know that this happens though, as I have met such boaters myself. I can't imagine not planning a journey over unfamiliar waters and having a read about what to expect!

And check and measure your hull profile against the information provided by CRT - we had booked but i hadn't realised how essential the height was and we have very upright cabin sides, and as I had a half empty watertank I was turned back - hoping to get through in a few weeks, I think I will just do it. I'm not a 'plan ahead' kind of guy so the concept of being at a precise point on a certain day is very foreign so knowing when we will have to be there is a bit of a pressure, so allowing lots of time.

The half empty water tank shouldn't have been a problem. There are taps at both ends and on both occasions we've been through the lockies have advised us to fill up.

The first time we went through we booked a month in advance, the second time was about a week before - just before we left Manchester.

Regards

Pete