Shiny Bitcumin?

Featured Posts

Hey,

So ive just stripped out my boat, took out the shower and sink unit and the steel wall is quite rusty.

Ive scraped and sanded down the wall and bought some bitcumin, its shiny not dull? and ive given the wall afew coats to prevent any more corrosion.

I didnt use a undercoat, just the bitcumin straight to the steel :blink: Was this a mistake?

Should i scrape the bitcumin off and start over with something else or will it be okay?

I noticed the hulls are all dull bitcumin and this is fair shiny..

Just wondering if i made a mistake :(

Thanks..

Edited by Ben Johnson

Hey,

So ive just stripped out my boat, took out the shower and sink unit and the steel wall is quite rusty.

Ive scraped and sanded down the wall and bought some bitcumin, its shiny not dull? and ive given the wall afew coats to prevent any more corrosion.

I didnt use a undercoat, just the bitcumin straight to the steel :blink: Was this a mistake?

Should i scrape the bitcumin off and start over with something else or will it be okay?

I noticed the hulls are all dull bitcumin and this is fair shiny..

Just wondering if i made a mistake :(

Thanks..

Hi

Bitumen is always shiny when applied first out the tin, it will stay that way for some time on the interior, in sunlight though it dullens very quickly.

No need for primer or undercoats, bitumen directly on to metal will be fine as long as it's degreased and clean. Wise to put 2 coats as well.

If you have other bits to do internally it might pay to apply an anti rust stuff like rust cure or many similar products to the rust prior to bitumen.

This is going to sound very dumb, but I assumed Bitumen was only applied to the outside of the boat, and that if I found rust in say the bilge, I would clean up with a wire brush and apply a rust converter like Fertan?

This is going to sound very dumb, but I assumed Bitumen was only applied to the outside of the boat, and that if I found rust in say the bilge, I would clean up with a wire brush and apply a rust converter like Fertan?

Exactly as I mentioned a few posts ago. After applying most rust treatments they need to be covered. If you,ve cleaned your bilge and applied Fertan then you need to repaint over that. Fertan will only protect for a short period of time, 6 months I think, so will need to be over painted within that time.

You can use bitumen internally, my entire internal hull was painted in bitumen.

SNIP

You can use bitumen internally, my entire internal hull was painted in bitumen.

This is true, but don't try to put anything other than more bitumen over it. That includes spray foam! And be very careful about fire if you are going to weld anywhere that has bitumen on the inside.

N