how do we know

spud150

Featured Posts

hi all

we are alan and mel ,just bought our first boat a 50ft semi trad ,we wil be bringing it back from thorn near doncaster to rippon next week does any one know the best route for a novice

thanks alan

hi all

we are alan and mel ,just bought our first boat a 50ft semi trad ,we wil be bringing it back from thorn near doncaster to rippon next week does any one know the best route for a novice

thanks alan

There is only really one way I would choose and that is Thorne to Bramwith, turn right onto the New junction Canal and then left at the end onto the Aire & Calder, towards Knottingly, pick up the River Aire and cruise to West Haddersley and enter the Selby Canal through the flood lock. Up to Selby and out on to the Ouse (At a time determined by the lock keeper), Through York and on to Boroughbridge, enter the Ripon Canal off the Ure and you are there.

I am going to be honest and say that's an ambitious route (the Ouse bit) for a novice so do your homework and make sure your boat is well prepared for tidal river cruising, engine serviced and filters changed.

If unsure about your engine speak to the guys at Staniland Marina at Thorne before you set off.

Edited by The Dog House

Service the engine, replace filters and fan belt if required, carry spare filters and fan belt with tools. Learn how to use the stern gland greaser and carry spare packing for same. Check fuel tank for crud that will block filters and if bad pay to have the fuel polished i.e. pumped through filters until it is bright and clean. I used to use a narrow 6mm plastic pipe onto a wet vac to suck the bottom of the tank clean. use a clear bottle inside the vac to catch the fuel then you can see if there is any water or sludge. The rivers are calming down now as the rain and thunderstorm stop. Wait for a neap tide (which are quieter) to leave Selby and buy the Ripon motor boat guide to the Ouse and Trent. Treat the trip as a holiday and use the boaters method "do not pas a village without wandering round and call at every Pub".

PS anchor and chain are a must on rivers.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

Two rather frightening posts - cant recall ever considering having fuel "polished" in about 25,000 miles offshore over the years. Agree about the anchor and chain on rivers.

Is there an alternative route that is less demanding and less frightening?

There is only really one way I would choose and that is Thorne to Bramwith, turn right onto the New junction Canal and then left at the end onto the Aire & Calder, towards Knottingly, pick up the River Aire and cruise to West Haddersley and enter the Selby Canal through the flood lock. Up to Selby and out on to the Ouse (At a time determined by the lock keeper), Through York and on to Boroughbridge, enter the Ripon Canal off the Ure and you are there.

I am going to be honest and say that's an ambitious route (the Ouse bit) for a novice so do your homework and make sure your boat is well prepared for tidal river cruising, engine serviced and filters changed.

If unsure about your engine speak to the guys at Staniland Marina at Thorne before you set off.

Two rather frightening posts - cant recall ever considering having fuel "polished" in about 25,000 miles offshore over the years. Agree about the anchor and chain on rivers.

Well the OP could have his boat lifted out and taken to Ripon by road, or they could follow the route I suggested.

The alternative inland Waterway route is out onto the Trent via. Keadby and into the Ouse via. Trent Falls...nuff said.

hi

its on the leeds liverpool north of bradford

Ok if you mean Shipley which is on the L&L north of Bradford then you do not have a cat in hells' chance of getting to Ripon from Thorne via. there, unless you waste time cruising there and then turn back and pick up the River Aire past Knottingley that is.

I seriously suggest you orientate yourself, buy yourself a few guides and maps or take Wanted's advice in the second post.

Ah, but Alan and Mel have just bought the boat, unless it's brand spanking new, they'll have no idea whatsoever about the state of the fuel in the tank

Finding out it's dirty in the middle of a river is no place to find out!

And unless they get a good heavy anchor, chain and rode in the next few days - they shouldn't be going on the river at all!

Ok if you mean Shipley which is on the L&L north of Bradford then you do not have a cat in hells' chance of getting to Ripon from Thorne via. there, unless you waste time cruising there and then turn back and pick up the River Aire past Knottingley that is.

I seriously suggest you orientate yourself, buy yourself a few guides and maps or take Wanted's advice in the second post.

sorry i meant shipley insted of ripon

Sorry from me too - I misunderstood...

Thorne to Shipley would be a much better proposition for a novice trip. :cheers:

yes you will have some river sections but all non tidal and generally benign...

A new to them boat with unknown service history! In 25 years of canal and river boating I have seen my 40 ton barge bouncing up by a meter on the River Mersey have known a engine stop leaving Tarleton on the tide because of water in the fuel, the same boat had a new fuel tank put in while we where at Ripon. Seen fuel filters blocked with sludge several times. Luckily only one fuel failure on a tidal river. Several fan belts and alternators and some problems with overheating and burst hoses. Set out your stall and you will enjoy yourself.

Go to Ripon it is much nicer than Shipply.

Not quite going off topic,but we are thinking of going towards Sheffield from Skipton.From Leeds to Sheffield would it be necessary to have an anchor for this route?

No

Ah, but Alan and Mel have just bought the boat, unless it's brand spanking new, they'll have no idea whatsoever about the state of the fuel in the tank

Finding out it's dirty in the middle of a river is no place to find out!

And unless they get a good heavy anchor, chain and rode in the next few days - they shouldn't be going on the river at all!

I agreed about the anchor and chain for rivers.

Given that they have mentioned Shipley as an alternative for their 1st trip, it seems that getting to Ripon quickly may not be crucial, even if it is their home point, and they will want to get there eventually.

If my assumption is correct, and the trip to Shipley is on "normal" canals, where the worst that can happen if you breakdown is you tie up and fix things, then Shipley might be the sensible option.

Does everyone who buys a 2nd hand boat need to get the fuel polished? I've heard it mentioned if a bug problem or similar is suspected, but never as a precaution, without evidence of an actual related problem.

I agree about setting out your stall, but where do you stop?

Alan and Mel. When we first bought our boat, we intended mooring it in Ripon. When I learned that it involved going on a tidal river etc, I changed our plans and stayed on safer canals. We did have the choice of having someone with experience, move the boat for us, on the tidal stretch, but they quoted £300. Unless you "have" to moor in Ripon, perhaps you should look at other alternatives. :)

I agreed about the anchor and chain for rivers.

Given that they have mentioned Shipley as an alternative for their 1st trip, it seems that getting to Ripon quickly may not be crucial, even if it is their home point, and they will want to get there eventually.

If my assumption is correct, and the trip to Shipley is on "normal" canals, where the worst that can happen if you breakdown is you tie up and fix things, then Shipley might be the sensible option.

Does everyone who buys a 2nd hand boat need to get the fuel polished? I've heard it mentioned if a bug problem or similar is suspected, but never as a precaution, without evidence of an actual related problem.

I agree about setting out your stall, but where do you stop?

The advice given was "Check fuel tank for crud that will block filters and if bad pay to have the fuel polished" which is good advice.

Cheers

Howard

The advice given was "Check fuel tank for crud that will block filters and if bad pay to have the fuel polished" which is good advice.

Cheers

Howard

You are, of course, correct. That'll teach me to read the question fully! Apologies!

Don't worry about the Ouse I am in Boroughbridge at present having been on the Ouse for 7 days so far it is like a mill pond at present. The lock keeper at Selby keys you out as the tide rises so the river is with you all the way to Naburn after that it is non tidal. Just go for it and enjoy a great cruise!!

If you are planning on being on the Ouse within the next 3 weeks I would be happy to join you at Selby to do the tidal bit about 3 hours

Alan and Mel. When we first bought our boat, we intended mooring it in Ripon. When I learned that it involved going on a tidal river etc, I changed our plans and stayed on safer canals. We did have the choice of having someone with experience, move the boat for us, on the tidal stretch, but they quoted £300. Unless you "have" to moor in Ripon, perhaps you should look at other alternatives. :)

Is your advise based on never having done it yourself, just the advise you received from someone else?

Edited by cotswoldsman

Is your advise based on never having done it yourself, just the advise you received from someone else?

I was just relating what happened to us when we first took to the canals...having zero experience. We were told by more experienced boaters that doing the tidal bit as newbies wasn't wise. We may have been told fibs, and your comments about it being simpler than we thought, is encouraging...as I'm hoping to do some of that stretch in the next year or two...