Alternator Output Advice

Meandering

Featured Posts

I am just starting fitting out my new boat (Meandering) and intend to fit AGM batteries (largely due to access). The battery suppliers have advised that I need a 14.8 V charging capability to maintain the AGM batteries. Now, I have a Beta Marine 38 engine fitted but cannot confirm the voltage output from the 100A alternator (phones Beta Marine but they could not tell me which I find bazaar!). Can anyone with knowledge of these engines please advise if I can get the required 14.8 voltage from the standard setup or would I need an external voltage regulator fitted to the alternator to push up the voltage? Thanks.

I am just starting fitting out my new boat (Meandering) and intend to fit AGM batteries (largely due to access). The battery suppliers have advised that I need a 14.8 V charging capability to maintain the AGM batteries. Now, I have a Beta Marine 38 engine fitted but cannot confirm the voltage output from the 100A alternator (phones Beta Marine but they could not tell me which I find bazaar!). Can anyone with knowledge of these engines please advise if I can get the required 14.8 voltage from the standard setup or would I need an external voltage regulator fitted to the alternator to push up the voltage? Thanks.

I wonder if they have or are about to change the supplier for the alternator and the admin hasn't "caught up" yet...

If you give Andrew Growcoot a ring I am sure he will be able to give you the answer, or at least the alternator make and model that they will be supplying......

On our Beta 43, we have an Iskra 175, which does output at 14.8 volts

Nick

Only sure way to find out is to actually measure alternator voltage when batts are fully charged. Either run engine for several hours or better still fully charge from shore power battery charger then disconnect and carry on with engine for a short while before taking a reading.

We have AGMs and charge at 28.8v - or 14.4v in your case. Sometimes it does go as high as 29.6ish (14.8)

Sterlings options on my inverter charger for AGM are:

AGM 1 14.1A Absorbtion 13.4A Float

AGM 2 14.6A Absorbtion 13.7A Float

Open Lead Acid 14.8A Absorbtion 13.3A Float

Calcium 15.1A Absorbtion 13.6A Float

He also says that these are merely options and you should ask the battery supplier and choose the option that fits the closest.

I'm pretty sure you wont come to any harm by charging at a lower max voltage, you merely won't get charged as fast as you would at the higher voltage.

My Beta 38 with Iskra 100A charges at 14.6V

Richard