Hire boat in the rain

Timx

Featured Posts

Have hired three boats out this year,in March June and July and obviously, it rained on all three trips.Personally steering in the rain does not bother me too much if the wind is not blowing too much at the same time, and I can perversely even enjoy it if its warm as well. However,as not many hire boats come with a cratch cover the other people on the boat can not really sit at the front in the rain, and to sit inside,you cant see over the bow,so not much fun for them,So obviously a cratch cover overcomes this.My Question is, is there anything available,on the market, that would make do,I know their bespoke to individual boats but is there anything adaptable out there ,that would do as a temporary ,make do alternative that would give some cover,that you can see out of,that we could take away with us each time we hire different boats on holidays. I presume theres not, but just asking.

A large 'fishing' umbrella, or garden patio table umbrella, as the latter can be 'square' and therefore be a better fit to the area.

In both cases I envisage the central pole being tight against the front of the cabin, so half the 'umbrella' is actually over the cabin roof.

How the pole is retained would vary from boat to boat, and be a test of the hirers ingenuity.

HTH

A large 'fishing' umbrella, or garden patio table umbrella, as the latter can be 'square' and therefore be a better fit to the area.

In both cases I envisage the central pole being tight against the front of the cabin, so half the 'umbrella' is actually over the cabin roof.

How the pole is retained would vary from boat to boat, and be a test of the hirers ingenuity.

HTH

good idea, patio umbrella's come with a water or sand filled base in which you attatch the umbrella as you would at home. carrying the base empty of course and filling it up when on board. :cheers:

good idea, patio umbrella's come with a water or sand filled base in which you attatch the umbrella as you would at home. carrying the base empty of course and filling it up when on board. :cheers:

MMM That could work with a heavy enough base ,and even a covering over the top of the shade,covering the sides..will have to have a look on line.

I'm pretty sure our local hire company Wyvern Shipping include a patio umbrella and base in their hire boat's equipment.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Or find a boat with a cratch and cover? How many people is it for? Fabuloso III here at Mercia, for instance, is a private hire (but all paperwork/insurance proper) and I know it has a cratch and cover. [i have no connection with the boat - just offering this idea to be helpful.]

Have hired three boats out this year,in March June and July and obviously, it rained on all three trips.Personally steering in the rain does not bother me too much if the wind is not blowing too much at the same time, and I can perversely even enjoy it if its warm as well. However,as not many hire boats come with a cratch cover the other people on the boat can not really sit at the front in the rain, and to sit inside,you cant see over the bow,so not much fun for them,So obviously a cratch cover overcomes this.My Question is, is there anything available,on the market, that would make do,I know their bespoke to individual boats but is there anything adaptable out there ,that would do as a temporary ,make do alternative that would give some cover,that you can see out of,that we could take away with us each time we hire different boats on holidays. I presume theres not, but just asking.

We hired from Union Canal Carriers a couple of summers ago.

Their boats (some at least) had cratch covers

Must admit, it made all the difference in the rain

I still got soaked up the back though lol

Soggy bacon rolls and watery coffee :(

Cheers,but I mostly always get a hire boat off latelink,so cant ever specify a particular boat yard, just the best boat at best price,and go from whereever that is on the week or two I want,and only once had a cratch cover,..