Alrewas River Section, T&M

BruceinSanity

Featured Posts

I've just been speaking to Harry Arnold here at the Mercia Open Day, and he tells me that the river is so far up at Alrewas that you can't see the level board, much less read it. Apparently the whole downstream landing is underwater and the cows in the adjoining field crowded into one corner.

Since there are reports of a lot of water in the river at Great Haywood, presumably it will take quite a while to go down.

I've just been speaking to Harry Arnold here at the Mercia Open Day, and he tells me that the river is so far up at Alrewas that you can't see the level board, much less read it. Apparently the whole downstream landing is underwater and the cows in the adjoining field crowded into one corner.

Since there are reports of a lot of water in the river at Great Haywood, presumably it will take quite a while to go down.

I think that is a pretty rare occurrence - I wonder how the boats on the LTM's at Wychnor are faring??

spelling ed.

Edited by The Dog House

has anyone got photo's of arlewas as we are sat below branston lock waiting for news of when we can proceed through arlewas.

thanks in advance,

This is the first time I can recall the river section closing in the summer, but from Harry's account it's pretty dramatic. If you want up to the minute info, call 03030 404040 and ask to speak to the Central Shires office.

This is the first time I can recall the river section closing in the summer, but from Harry's account it's pretty dramatic. If you want up to the minute info, call 03030 404040 and ask to speak to the Central Shires office.

thanks for that bruce, i rang and they said it's still in flood, not sure when it will be clear to pass, guess we just have to sit and wait, good job we are not in a hurry.

thanks for that bruce, i rang and they said it's still in flood, not sure when it will be clear to pass, guess we just have to sit and wait, good job we are not in a hurry.

You're welcome.

Latest news I have from someone on site is that it is still very high, but going down quickly. We plan to leave Mercia on Wednesday, now, and amble slowly towards Alrewas, probably getting to Wychnor on Friday or maybe Saturday.

You're welcome.

Latest news I have from someone on site is that it is still very high, but going down quickly. We plan to leave Mercia on Wednesday, now, and amble slowly towards Alrewas, probably getting to Wychnor on Friday or maybe Saturday.

maybe you would like to look at this it's the level station at drakelow My link we are sat below branston lock and have been for 2 days now.

Edited by goodboy

maybe you would like to look at this it's the level station at drakelow My link

Unfortunately as I have discovered when monitoring the River Aire there doesn't seem to be a correlation between the EA level indicators and when BW allow passage.

Unfortunately as I have discovered when monitoring the River Aire there doesn't seem to be a correlation between the EA level indicators and when BW allow passage.

well like you said BW wont tell you when you can pass but the current level is 2.89 and normal is between 1.02 metres and 2.04 metres so when it get's there it should be safe to pass.

I had a look last night ( Sunday 8th. July). The river level was half way up Alrewas lock. The lock landing was completely underwater and the fields were lakes and the wier non existant. The towpath opposite the wier was also underwater, I reckon the water was running at 5 to 6 knots. certainly faster that most narrowboats. Quite a few Shakespeare & Canaltime boats waiting above the lock where the water was nearly at the top of the piling.

the river levels have gone down at arlewas but the office wont tell us if it is passable they are just saying the whole of the trent is in flood, do's anyone know if there are boats going through today.

The notice is still up at Fradley stating 'River Section Closed' No boats coming up & boats are starting to breast up on the moorings below Junction Lock.

ETA ---- There is now a Waterscape stoppage today ---- closed until further notice, enquires to 0303 040 4040

Edited by Midnight Rider

The info for Drakelow is interesting, especially as the problem at Alrewas will at least partly be the river backing up over the weir. I guess Drakelow is below where the Tame joins, though, so the river will be even higher there than above.

Looks like we may well stick where we are for another day or so.

heigh ho…

the river levels have gone down at arlewas but the office wont tell us if it is passable they are just saying the whole of the trent is in flood, do's anyone know if there are boats going through today.

The river is not all closed. We are still sailing daily and several other boats are still using the stretch from Nottingham to Newark over the last few days. :cheers:

Tim

The info for Drakelow is interesting, especially as the problem at Alrewas will at least partly be the river backing up over the weir. I guess Drakelow is below where the Tame joins, though, so the river will be even higher there than above.

Looks like we may well stick where we are for another day or so.

heigh ho…

That EA site is very interesting, thanks, goodboy. Working back upstream shows it rising again at Great Haywood, and a pulse now falling at Darlaston. Meantime the Penk and Sow are very quiet.

So it looks like we can expect a rise again at Alrewas in the next 24 hours, then falling away once more.

just took a 12 mile round trip walk to arlewas took us just over 4hrs not bad seeing as it didn't rain, anyway i have video of the weir which is still in flood, wychnor gauge is well into the amber but arlewas gauge is 2" into the red running at about 4mph, LTM's are fine don't look like water went over the bank there seeing as grass is still green. not sure how to add video on here. found a site to upload this pic.

20120710_153507.jpg

Edited by goodboy
  • Greenie 1

Hi

I am due to reach the river section on Saturday 14th. Has anyone had any updates or have an update on the latest situation or expectation?

Call 03030 404040 and speak to the Central Shires Office. The river is still up at Kings Bromley according to the EA site, but as has been said here earlier, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Alrewas Section will stay closed.

We've now decided to sit tight here in Mercia until Monday, to give the tail back a chance to clear, assuming it reopens sometime in the next two days.

Call 03030 404040 and speak to the Central Shires Office. The river is still up at Kings Bromley according to the EA site, but as has been said here earlier, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Alrewas Section will stay closed.

We've now decided to sit tight here in Mercia until Monday, to give the tail back a chance to clear, assuming it reopens sometime in the next two days.

just spoke to C&RT and the said the river went up again this morning and will be closed for the rest of the day and will be reviewed again tomorrow.

just spoke to C&RT and the said the river went up again this morning and will be closed for the rest of the day and will be reviewed again tomorrow.

Norwyn on Shell Bell has blogged with an update and pic here. Basically, Fradley busy but not breasted up, some space at Alrewas, river level just moving from red into amber.

I've just had an email from Waterscape/C&RT to say that the river section is now open but still in the amber, so take care.

If you can bear to, I'd stay put for another 24 hours to let it come down a bit further. The turn across the stream to get into the lock can be pretty tricky when it's flowing strongly.

I've just had an email from Waterscape/C&RT to say that the river section is now open but still in the amber, so take care.

If you can bear to, I'd stay put for another 24 hours to let it come down a bit further. The turn across the stream to get into the lock can be pretty tricky when it's flowing strongly.

thanks for the update bruce, we have had a few boats come past us this morning but some are still going up, tricky or not if we dont move soon it will be rising again, we shall see how it is later.

thanks for the update bruce, we have had a few boats come past us this morning but some are still going up, tricky or not if we dont move soon it will be rising again, we shall see how it is later.

Go for it today, ASAP, the levels will start to rise again soon, with more rain forecast later, tommorow, and then monday/tuesday....

Go for it today, ASAP, the levels will start to rise again soon, with more rain forecast later, tommorow, and then monday/tuesday....

I think I'd be doing the same. It should be fine on amber - just keep away from them weirs!!