Maplins

The Crusty Crow

Featured Posts

When my partner moved on the boat last year she came armed with a variety of electronic weaponry. After blowing 2 tooth brushes we invested in a pure sin wave inverter. We decided to buy one from Maplins. and ordered a 1000w one online and have used it with no problems until a few days ago. After the warning alarm came on we switched it off. When we turned it back on again something popped. We tried taking it to Maplins but their customer services department didn't want to know as its about 5 weeks since the warranty ran out. We have a spare 600 watt £50 one that we have had to wire in but have had no problems so I can't see it being a wiring fault. Does anyone know if we can pursue it with Maplins or should we just cut our loss and invest in a better make. Looking at Sterling ones on eBay at the moment. Any advice anyone? Also I've since looked inside and can see that one of the cylindrical (capacitor maybe) components has blown.

When my partner moved on the boat last year she came armed with a variety of electronic weaponry. After blowing 2 tooth brushes we invested in a pure sin wave inverter. We decided to buy one from Maplins. and ordered a 1000w one online and have used it with no problems until a few days ago. After the warning alarm came on we switched it off. When we turned it back on again something popped. We tried taking it to Maplins but their customer services department didn't want to know as its about 5 weeks since the warranty ran out. We have a spare 600 watt £50 one that we have had to wire in but have had no problems so I can't see it being a wiring fault. Does anyone know if we can pursue it with Maplins or should we just cut our loss and invest in a better make. Looking at Sterling ones on eBay at the moment. Any advice anyone? Also I've since looked inside and can see that one of the cylindrical (capacitor maybe) components has blown.

Is the sterling inverter on Ebay a recon unit?If so ask yourself this question,why is there so many recon Sterling units being advertised?

The very best inverters are reputed to be Mastervolt and Victron

Sterling are, I believe the next best of the branded ones

There is an host of unbranded ones around, some may be good, others may be rubbish

You pays yer money and makes yer choice

You'll find many boaters whom swear by the three brands above

(but they are all dearer than the unbranded ones, of course!)

Our Sterling inverter is now 2 1/4 years old, and hasn't missed a beat, yet.

Is the sterling inverter on Ebay a recon unit?If so ask yourself this question,why is there so many recon Sterling units being advertised?

Because Sterling recondition/repair the returned articles, and sell them on in the UK

Victron and Mastervolt may/may not sell their on, (at least - not in the UK!)

The very best inverters are reputed to be Mastervolt and Victron

Sterling are, I believe the next best of the branded ones

There is an host of unbranded ones around, some may be good, others may be rubbish

You pays yer money and makes yer choice

You'll find many boaters whom swear by the three brands above

(but they are all dearer than the unbranded ones, of course!)

Our Sterling inverter is now 2 1/4 years old, and hasn't missed a beat, yet.

Because Sterling recondition/repair the returned articles, and sell them on in the UK

Victron and Mastervolt may/may not sell their on, (at least - not in the UK!)

Thats the point,there is alot of them.

We tried taking it to Maplins but their customer services department didn't want to know as its about 5 weeks since the warranty ran out.

How long is your warranty?

If you bought the inverter less than 2 years ago then you may be covered by an EU directive described here: Clicky

You've done well to have it last that long. Ours lasted halfway along the south Oxford top pound. The design of the electronics inside our maplin inverter was very old fashioned and not brilliant. We changed to a Sterling one and never had a problem.

When looking at inverters don't look at the headline figures - look at the continuous rating and the temperature its quoted at. Our 1kW maplin inverter was quoted at something like 1kW for 5 minutes, 800W for 12 and 600W for 30mins all at something like room temperature. The sterling that replaced it is rated at 600W continuous at 40 deg ambient. This is a lot better. You also need to look at the surge rating - how much extra capacity its got that can be used for a few seconds.

How long is your warranty?

If you bought the inverter less than 2 years ago then you may be covered by an EU directive described here: Clicky

I think under EU directive they have to at least repair it. I find going into the shop with the faulty goods and then start spouting EU law normally works. Something 13 month old should work and they have to repair it. The problem is the British sometimes just do not fight hard enough for their rights and the retailers rely on this. One reason why retailers try so hard to make it seem like everything only has a 12 month warranty is so they can sell their over priced and useless extended warranty. If maplins will not repair it then go straight to Trading Standards and tell Maplin that is what you are going to do.

I think under EU directive they have to at least repair it. I find going into the shop with the faulty goods and then start spouting EU law normally works. Something 13 month old should work and they have to repair it. The problem is the British sometimes just do not fight hard enough for their rights and the retailers rely on this. One reason why retailers try so hard to make it seem like everything only has a 12 month warranty is so they can sell their over priced and useless extended warranty. If maplins will not repair it then go straight to Trading Standards and tell Maplin that is what you are going to do.

I agree with this post ,go back to Maplins and ask to speak to the manager ,if you start talking about "trading standards" I'm sure you'll find them very helpfull.

RESULT!

After a second visit to the store armed with a printed copy of the EU directive. Thanks for the link carlt. The manager said that the 12 month max was printed in the terms and conditions in their catalogue and on receipts.

We couldn't find this anywhere. There was some mention about reasonable period but no specific length of time.

The manager said we would have to write to customer services but he did give us the area managers name (accidently) and the head of customer services. We sent an email to both explaining our situation.

Yesterday we received a phone call from the store manager that Maplins will provide a new inverter which we can pick up in a few days time.

We'll probably buy a better quality inverter anyway as I doubt Maplins will do the same again.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

RESULT!

After a second visit to the store armed with a printed copy of the EU directive. Thanks for the link carlt. The manager said that the 12 month max was printed in the terms and conditions in their catalogue and on receipts.

We couldn't find this anywhere. There was some mention about reasonable period but no specific length of time.

The manager said we would have to write to customer services but he did give us the area managers name (accidently) and the head of customer services. We sent an email to both explaining our situation.

Yesterday we received a phone call from the store manager that Maplins will provide a new inverter which we can pick up in a few days time.

We'll probably buy a better quality inverter anyway as I doubt Maplins will do the same again.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Still get the Maplin one use it as a spare, or better still frame it !

Picked up a new inverter today from Maplins. Prob still keep my eyes open for a better one though.

Great result. Stick it straight on fleabay whilst still brand new and add the money towards a better one :cheers:

Tim