Is my paloma knackered?

Boatman Al

Featured Posts

Hi all

Today i properly inspected the Paloma boiler i was considering scraping in a previous post. First thing i noticed is that to get the pilot light to stay on i need to hold in the ignition for 10 seconds which produces a roaring flame, then let go. If i dont let this roaring flame blaze for 10 seconds the pilot wont stay on. That sound normal?

The other definate problem is a joint on the right hand side of the unit is badly leaking and bleeding through into the right hand control and leaking there too. THe joint in question is pictured on these links

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8432215/IMG_0875.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8432215/IMG_0876.jpg

Ive tightened the screw pictured as tight as i can and the leak is no better. Do i need to replace a seal? or is this knackered.

cheers

Hi all

Today i properly inspected the Paloma boiler i was considering scraping in a previous post. First thing i noticed is that to get the pilot light to stay on i need to hold in the ignition for 10 seconds which produces a roaring flame, then let go. If i dont let this roaring flame blaze for 10 seconds the pilot wont stay on. That sound normal?

Yes.

The other definate problem is a joint on the right hand side of the unit is badly leaking and bleeding through into the right hand control and leaking there too. THe joint in question is pictured on these links

Ive tightened the screw pictured as tight as i can and the leak is no better. Do i need to replace a seal? or is this knackered.

cheers

Hard to judge which joint you mean exactly but I think you mean the 'O' ring. This is typical frost damage. Dismantle it and put back the displaced ring, bend the retaining clip straight and put it all back together, and all should be fine.

In short, no your Paloma is a LONG way from being knackered. But if you end up replacing it, can I have the old one pleease?? :D

Hi all

cheers

This is perfectly normal- it is the thermocouple Flame Supervision Device warming up. Once it is warm the heat from the pilot is enpought to keep it hot.

With the paloma running (hot water tap on) occasionally push in the plastic knob at the side. This keeps the pilot jet clear of crud. You have to do it with a tap on, or the little pin that does the clearing puts the pilot out.

There is also a gauze sort of thing round the air inlet to the pilot- this collects dust, so clean that occasionally (paintbrush or a really good blow).

N

Hi all

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8432215/IMG_0875.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8432215/IMG_0876.jpg

cheers

Hi,

The heat exchanger pipe exiting the inlet control valve appears to have been bent probably caused from being frozen. Remove the pipe check 'O' ring and replace if damaged, straighten the retaining clamp and GENTLY bend pipe back in to line with the housing. You should now be able reassemble and be leak free.

From looking at your pictures there does appear to be gap between the two halves of the diaphragm housing which may of also so suffered from freezing.

Your Paloma is a PH-5LFE and does not have a standing pilot cleaning button or gauze filter.

Regards Bob

But if you end up replacing it, can I have the old one pleease?? :D

I am just about to remove one from a static if you are interested.

I was going to eBay it but you can make me a sensible offer.

It was in full working order when last used less than a year a go. We were living in the static for about 3 years before that.

Thanks for the responses.

Bob, the pipe thats bent that you referred to... is that the one going into the joint thats leaking?

Yes, the one that's held in place by the Stainless collar, you'll need to bring it back in to line so it sits square in the housing.