Building L-Shaped Sofa Bed - Dimensions?

Featured Posts

I currently have a house type sofa bed, which folds out widthways, but isn't really very suitable, or comfortable. I want to get rid of it and build an L-shaped sofa bed, with dining table facility.

What is the typical depth/width of the cushion part from knee to backside. The current sofa has a 24" cushion which, when added to the 5" thickness of the cushion secured to the hull lining, would mean the front of the sofa would be 29" from the hull lining. Whilst probably comfortable, this looks a bit much.

I'm hoping someone with a built in sofa, or sfa bed, will be able to give me some measurements.

Or maybe there are some designs on the web.

I bought Graham Booths book about building Rose, but it doesn't go into much detail about sofa beds and dinettes, (which I thought it would :( )

Any ideas or advice gratefully accepted!

Many Thanks

Richard

I currently have a house type sofa bed, which folds out widthways, but isn't really very suitable, or comfortable. I want to get rid of it and build an L-shaped sofa bed, with dining table facility.

What is the typical depth/width of the cushion part from knee to backside. The current sofa has a 24" cushion which, when added to the 5" thickness of the cushion secured to the hull lining, would mean the front of the sofa would be 29" from the hull lining. Whilst probably comfortable, this looks a bit much.

I'm hoping someone with a built in sofa, or sfa bed, will be able to give me some measurements.

Or maybe there are some designs on the web.

I bought Graham Booths book about building Rose, but it doesn't go into much detail about sofa beds and dinettes, (which I thought it would :( )

Any ideas or advice gratefully accepted!

Many Thanks

Richard

E Mail sent with photos/sketches

Floor to seat surface 44cm. Dinette seats may be higher, but for general seating I find 44cm comfy. Foam depth 12.5cm. Large foam size 122cm (4') x 61cm (2') x 12.5cm (5"). To create a backrest - foam peices sit on the large foam bases. Height 35cm (13.75"), depth 12.5cm (5"), lengths 122cm (4').

My 'L' shape seat is 10' x 4', so I have a few more than the above, but it's just a guide. Use good quality foam, if you are using foam. Good for frequent use.

I don't have a table for this set-up, but it will make a reasonable sized double bed if needed.

Edited by Higgs

Ours are generally 24" depth....ie back to knee bend on the base, BUT we then have the back rest cushions resting ontop of the base cushions, giving either 19 or 20" 'seat' depth.

That's what I was thinking..... Giving a 4ft double when the back and the base are side by side.

I assume that 19" is comfortable enough for back to knee bend, from looking at a variety of pictures, it seems to be the norm. As I said, I'm currently sitting very comfortably on a sofa with 24" from back to knee bend.

Thanks to all for the quick responses.

Richard

E Mail sent with photos/sketches

Hi David,

I don't seem to be able to reply from my email account - cant delete emails either, so I think it's a glitch with the service. I'm receiving fine.

Thanks for the photos. Just what i need. The slide out action works just like my standalone sofa bed, and looks very effective.

I didn't receive any sketches. I received .jpgs 4-7 and 10-15, Thus 1-3, and 8-9, missing, if they are part of the series.

Apart from the design, I was unsure about dimensions, but it looks like the cushions are 24" deep, making a 4ft double. I'll be making it 6ft long, seats 19" from floor to bum, and probably 5" thick medium firmness foam - subject to any more input :)

Thanks again - very useful!

Richard

That's what I was thinking..... Giving a 4ft double when the back and the base are side by side.

I assume that 19" is comfortable enough for back to knee bend, from looking at a variety of pictures, it seems to be the norm. As I said, I'm currently sitting very comfortably on a sofa with 24" from back to knee bend.

Thanks to all for the quick responses.

Richard

Hi David,

I don't seem to be able to reply from my email account - cant delete emails either, so I think it's a glitch with the service. I'm receiving fine.

Thanks for the photos. Just what i need. The slide out action works just like my standalone sofa bed, and looks very effective.

I didn't receive any sketches. I received .jpgs 4-7 and 10-15, Thus 1-3, and 8-9, missing, if they are part of the series.

Apart from the design, I was unsure about dimensions, but it looks like the cushions are 24" deep, making a 4ft double. I'll be making it 6ft long, seats 19" from floor to bum, and probably 5" thick medium firmness foam - subject to any more input :)

Thanks again - very useful!

Richard

Nos 1, 2, and 3 which include dimensions should have arrived, I did not send Nos. 8 & 9 but have sent a second email with them attached.

Nos 1, 2, and 3 which include dimensions should have arrived, I did not send Nos. 8 & 9 but have sent a second email with them attached.

All received fine. Thanks for taking the time.

Still having a problem sending emails.

Richard

• 5 years later...

Bit of feedback:

Five and a half years later I replaced the old sofabed with a new sofa from sofabedbarn:

It takes up quite a bit of space, (6ft3in x 2ft9"), but is comfortable, easy to use, has a drawer underneath, and there is room for me and 2 dogs with a bit to spare :)

https://www.sofabedbarn.co.uk/3-seat-clic-clac-sofa-beds/9-belvedere-futon-sofa-bed.html#/5-choose_your_fabric-taupe_soft_chenille_bristol/47-choose_your_wood_colour_stain-pine/57-size-belvedere_with_one_drawer/42-choose_your_mattress-luxury_memory_foam_mattress

They delivered to the boat. It came through the front doors easily without removing the cratch cover, and was easy to put together, (I didnt do it, but it looked easy).

I respect someone who doesn`t rush things but makes their decision following a great deal of thought. I might add that I wonder whether such a period would have elapsed if you had company other than dogs. I mean of the wife/partner (politically correct!!) kind:giggles:

2 hours ago, jddevel said:

I respect someone who doesn`t rush things but makes their decision following a great deal of thought. I might add that I wonder whether such a period would have elapsed if you had company other than dogs. I mean of the wife/partner (politically correct!!) kind:giggles:

I've been trying to entice the wife back on board, but she hasnt been for a couple of years at least. She said it was the bed mattress, ( which was definitely knackered), but I got a new one about a year ago, and she hasn't been. Thought the sofa bed might help, (me and one of the dogs on the sofabed, wife and other dog on proper bed :) ), but it's currently too cold to see whether the sofa bed has worked, or whether she really doesnt like boating, (or me :( )