Miniweeeeze.

bizzard

Featured Posts

To help keep your water tank clean inside here's a wee wheeze that will help to do so.

Nip out and buy a small plastic funnel,around 4 to 6'' at the bell end.Then cut off bits, bit by bit from the small spout end until your hosepipe is a tight fit when pushed through.The idea is that the funnel will rest over your tank filler hole upside down ''bell-mouth down''whether a deck or gunnel filler hole. It will be easier to start pushing your hosepipe in through from the bellmouth end as it will guide the hose into the tapered spout.So starting from the tap end of your hosepipe push the funnel along the whole length of the hose stopping about 2' from the boats filler end.This couple of feet of hose pokes down into the filler allowing the funnel mouth to rest snuggly around the opening to ward off all the bits of dust,dirt,bits of leaves,acid rain,flies,spiders and all manner of bugs that try to gain entry when your not looking and leave the hose unattended to fill your tank up with water. No more sickness,nausea or dysentery and horrid things like that. :mellow:

To help keep your water tank clean inside here's a wee wheeze that will help to do so.

Nip out and buy a small plastic funnel,around 4 to 6'' at the bell end.Then cut off bits, bit by bit from the small spout end until your hosepipe is a tight fit when pushed through.The idea is that the funnel will rest over your tank filler hole upside down ''bell-mouth down''whether a deck or gunnel filler hole. It will be easier to start pushing your hosepipe in through from the bellmouth end as it will guide the hose into the tapered spout.So starting from the tap end of your hosepipe push the funnel along the whole length of the hose stopping about 2' from the boats filler end.This couple of feet of hose pokes down into the filler allowing the funnel mouth to rest snuggly around the opening to ward off all the bits of dust,dirt,bits of leaves,acid rain,flies,spiders and all manner of bugs that try to gain entry when your not looking and leave the hose unattended to fill your tank up with water. No more sickness,nausea or dysentery and horrid things like that. :mellow:

Miniwheeeese Super Deluxe version of the above that will stop all known dirt.

Instead of the funnel an rubber sink unblocker sucker can be used,just yank its handle off and make a hole in its recess also a tight fit for your hosepipe which you poke through. This should be pressed down around your tank filled and should remain ''in suck'' under vacuum whilst filling up and so will not allow the tiniest of microbes to enter. :closedeyes:

My gast is flabbered. It might even work on a good day!

You're on a roll Bizzard, keep those little grey cells active - there's a danger something sensible might appear very soon!!!!!!! :D

Edited by Rebotco

My gast is flabbered. It might even work on a good day!

You're on a roll Bizzard, keep those little grey cells active - there's a danger something sensible might appear very soon!!!!!!! :D

This whheeeese WAS meant to be bloomin sensible,especially the sink sucker version. :banghead:

Miniwheeeese Super Deluxe version of the above that will stop all known dirt.

Instead of the funnel an rubber sink unblocker sucker can be used,just yank its handle off and make a hole in its recess also a tight fit for your hosepipe which you poke through. This should be pressed down around your tank filled and should remain ''in suck'' under vacuum whilst filling up and so will not allow the tiniest of microbes to enter. :closedeyes:

Hi Bizzard

Surely as the tank fills it will need to evacuate air so how will the sucker remain a sucker laugh.gif

I'm not sure of the size thread that the brass cap screws into, but I wondered weather 2" or 1.5" waste pipe bight be able to be threaded into that insert, 3 or 4 inches long, you could then glue on a standard stop end cap. to that you can drill a hole and use one of these

KGrHqNlEE84JS9m2vBPR6YgPpTQ60_3.jpg

as a bulkhead type fitting through the hole in the end cap using the connectors hose grip end. No need to fit additional pipe inside as the waste pipe should make a good seal if threaded nicely.

You then simply connect your water hose with the appropriate snap on connector.

I thought this one up moons ago, but never got around to doing anything about it.

Hi Bizzard

Surely as the tank fills it will need to evacuate air so how will the sucker remain a sucker laugh.gif

I'm not sure of the size thread that the brass cap screws into, but I wondered weather 2" or 1.5" waste pipe bight be able to be threaded into that insert, 3 or 4 inches long, you could then glue on a standard stop end cap. to that you can drill a hole and use one of these

KGrHqNlEE84JS9m2vBPR6YgPpTQ60_3.jpg

as a bulkhead type fitting through the hole in the end cap using the connectors hose grip end. No need to fit additional pipe inside as the waste pipe should make a good seal if threaded nicely.

You then simply connect your water hose with the appropriate snap on connector.

I thought this one up moons ago, but never got around to doing anything about it.

Ahoy Julynian,

Water tanks or their filler tubes should have separate breather or overflow outlets so hopefully those will be big enough not to allow any pressure to build up and blow the sink sucker off.If anyone proves this not to be,they only have to turn the tap down a bit to lessen the flow,just a bit experimentation required i think.

Yours sounds a very good idea to me,after all they pump out bogs in a similar fashion,certainly worth experimenting with,as it can be done at very minimal cost.

My idea was based on ''mid-air re-fueling'' as performed by aeroplanes belonging to the RAF so i reckon my idea might be a bit too hi-tech and beyond most peoples grasp. My water filler is in my well under the Cratch cover arrangement,so i don't really have the dirt infiltration problem.But i have lots of plumbing fittings and will have a bash at your exellent idea when i get time. :cheers:

Ahoy Julynian,

Water tanks or their filler tubes should have separate breather or overflow outlets so hopefully those will be big enough not to allow any pressure to build up and blow the sink sucker off.If anyone proves this not to be,they only have to turn the tap down a bit to lessen the flow,just a bit experimentation required i think.

Yours sounds a very good idea to me,after all they pump out bogs in a similar fashion,certainly worth experimenting with,as it can be done at very minimal cost.

My idea was based on ''mid-air re-fueling'' as performed by aeroplanes belonging to the RAF so i reckon my idea might be a bit too hi-tech and beyond most peoples grasp. My water filler is in my well under the Cratch cover arrangement,so i don't really have the dirt infiltration problem.But i have lots of plumbing fittings and will have a bash at your exellent idea when i get time. :cheers:

I thought you were trying to fly the boat for a moment laugh.gif

My idea was based on ''mid-air re-fueling''

Yeah there probably is a breather somewhere,not sure. You can always drill a 1mm hole in the top of the unit I suggested if it was a problem, you would also know when the tank was full as you would get a little fountain of water from the 1mm hole laugh.gif

I have all next week on the boat, so might have a bash at it too, I'll just have to hunt around for off cut waste pipe. I wonder if the brass thread is a standard BSP thread, I would think so possibly, if it was would just need to find a steel straight female connector to cut the thread in the plastic.

If you flog any on flea bay I want a cut mind laugh.gif

I thought you were trying to fly the boat for a moment laugh.gif

Yeah there probably is a breather somewhere,not sure. You can always drill a 1mm hole in the top of the unit I suggested if it was a problem, you would also know when the tank was full as you would get a little fountain of water from the 1mm hole laugh.gif

I have all next week on the boat, so might have a bash at it too, I'll just have to hunt around for off cut waste pipe. I wonder if the brass thread is a standard BSP thread, I would think so possibly, if it was would just need to find a steel straight female connector to cut the thread in the plastic.

If you flog any on flea bay I want a cut mind laugh.gif

Has your boat not got an overflow pipe leading to a skin fitting on the hull? Bugs and spiders can creep in there too yer know.If so it might be more hygenic to bung a cork in it after refilling with water and rely on your wee hole in the cap to avoid a vacuum,but it would have to be quite a big hole if taps and shower ect are running at the same time in the boat,or you'll be wondering what the high speed sucking shriek is. No worries i still work the Exchange & Mart. :mellow:

Has your boat not got an overflow pipe leading to a skin fitting on the hull? Bugs and spiders can creep in there too yer know.If so it might be more hygenic to bung a cork in it after refilling with water and rely on your wee hole in the cap to avoid a vacuum,but it would have to be quite a big hole if taps and shower ect are running at the same time in the boat,or you'll be wondering what the high speed sucking shriek is. No worries i still work the Exchange & Mart. :mellow:

There's certainly no overflow, we're stainless tank and it's in the bottom of the bow, you got me thinking now, as when water is drawn from the tank it has to be replaced with air, so there must be a breather hole somewhere. possibly fitted to the top of the tank somewhere. The fill hose is about a foot long from the deck floor to the tank, could be a breather in that somewhere.

There's certainly no overflow, we're stainless tank and it's in the bottom of the bow, you got me thinking now, as when water is drawn from the tank it has to be replaced with air, so there must be a breather hole somewhere. possibly fitted to the top of the tank somewhere. The fill hose is about a foot long from the deck floor to the tank, could be a breather in that somewhere.

That's where your type usually are and led out to a skin fitting well above the waterline.A hole in the cap big enough to counteract the vacuum would also allow wee beasties in.

That's where your type usually are and led out to a skin fitting well above the waterline.A hole in the cap big enough to counteract the vacuum would also allow wee beasties in.

The speed at which a water tank fills a small 1or 2mm hole would suffice. I'll take a look at my tank at the weekend and see where any air intake is. If the hole had to be bigger a wee bit of mesh would hold back the beasties,

I'll try to find out the thread size too.

The speed at which a water tank fills a small 1or 2mm hole would suffice. I'll take a look at my tank at the weekend and see where any air intake is. If the hole had to be bigger a wee bit of mesh would hold back the beasties,

I'll try to find out the thread size too.

Look i'm pissed at the mo but its the water you use Julynian that causes the vacuum not filling the tank.

Look i'm pissed at the mo but its the water you use Julynian that causes the vacuum not filling the tank.

Yeah agreed of course there must be or my tank would implode laugh.gif So my proposed gadget shouldn't need a we hole it.

I just don't know where the breather hole is, will be on the boat tomorrow though and will seek enlightenment.

Julian

Yeah agreed of course there must be or my tank would implode laugh.gif So my proposed gadget shouldn't need a we hole it.

I just don't know where the breather hole is, will be on the boat tomorrow though and will seek enlightenment.

Julian

Ooo, once imploded its very difficult to unplode them.

Ooo, once imploded its very difficult to unplode them.

I use those snail things, that folk have to hoover round the insides of aquariums. Hopefully they have a long lifespan, but if you think they've snuffed it, just chuck a few more in :mellow: ...sorted.

I use those snail things, that folk have to hoover round the insides of aquariums. Hopefully they have a long lifespan, but if you think they've snuffed it, just chuck a few more in :mellow: ...sorted.

But can these snail things see in the dark.

They won't last long, they live on algae, algae can only grow in sunlight, what ever else they might eat, it certainly won't be their own poo, what does it taste like laugh.gif