How far can I go?

davewally

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I am going from Devizes to Bath next week.

How far can I go on my BW licence?

Does it cover the Avon or where do I have to turn around in Bath?

Thanks

Dave

Yes, you can go down the Avon to Bristol on your BW licence.

You may be confusing with the other river Avon from Tewkesbury to Stratford and onwards. That is run by a Trust and requires its own licence.

Beware the continues lines of conti nues moorers...

You will not get out off tick over after you pass Semmington..

But you are fine once you reach the Avon at Bath, you can steam all the way to Hannam (a further five locks and 9 miles), almost as fast as you like. And a. Very good run it is too.

Enjoy

Thanks Brian and Luctor.

Hanhams quite tempting. That would put me within 2 miles of where I grew up.

Whats the rules on mooring on the Avon? Do you just stop anywhere or do you have to pay mooring fees like the Thames?

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Brian and Luctor.

Hanhams quite tempting. That would put me within 2 miles of where I grew up.

Whats the rules on mooring on the Avon? Do you just stop anywhere or do you have to pay mooring fees like the Thames?

Thanks

Dave

Avon's great stop anywhere you can get a pin in the ground or tree laugh.gif No charges except when you get to Bristol docks, although there's some debate as to mooring at Pulteny weir. I wouldn't pay but some do.

• Greenie 1

No, you don't have to pay, but you limited where you can sensibly moor. After you exit the canal and turn left, the first free mooring are a few hundred yards down the river, on the right, against the,'railings'. Good mooring for Bath, and Sainsbugs if you need stocking up..

Next sensible mooring is the visitor mooring after Swineford lock, unless you moor on one of the lock mooring, but off course only for the night..

After Swineford, the next visitor mooring are at Keynesham, but there is only aa short pontoon there. As usual on river mooring, those moored tend not to object to either making room, or breasting up..

Next is Hannam, which has a floating visitor pontoon, and water on the opposite side, next to the lock.. :wacko::rolleyes:

Also two pubs, with a good supply of Ale (so I have been told.. :blush: )

Top up your water at the Bath top lock, as the only wtare point after that is not working.

And don't look the locals straight in the eye...

The last ones tongue in cheek. Sometimes..

No, you don't have to pay, but you limited where you can sensibly moor. After you exit the canal and turn left, the first free mooring are a few hundred yards down the river, on the right, against the,'railings'. Good mooring for Bath, and Sainsbugs if you need stocking up..

Next sensible mooring is the visitor mooring after Swineford lock, unless you moor on one of the lock mooring, but off course only for the night..

After Swineford, the next visitor mooring are at Keynesham, but there is only aa short pontoon there. As usual on river mooring, those moored tend not to object to either making room, or breasting up..

Next is Hannam, which has a floating visitor pontoon, and water on the opposite side, next to the lock.. :wacko::rolleyes:

Also two pubs, with a good supply of Ale (so I have been told.. :blush: )

Top up your water at the Bath top lock, as the only wtare point after that is not working.

And don't look the locals straight in the eye...

The last ones tongue in cheek. Sometimes..

We clearly don't moor sensibly laugh.gif

We've moored along the high wall outside the back of the Hop Pole pub. It is high though and you need to get on the roof to get up to the tow path. About 1/2 a mile from the railing moorings at Kingsmead. Good pint of Bath ale to be had there and beer garden.

you used to be able too moor at the boat house to visit the pub, but only whilst using the pub. Not sure if you still can. We've moored opposite that mooring also, there's a pathway leading to the road bridge on that side as well. Or moor on the pub side just past the bridge. We've moored lots of other places on that route, but their not "conventional moorings", basically anywhere you can get the boat in is a mooring to me laugh.gif

Hi,

the Avon sounds like fun.

I've just made a new gangplank from an old aluminium ladder (it's next to me now in the sitting romm with the paint drying), looks like a good oportunity to try it out.

We've got eleven days ahead of us. We aren't in any hurry. We wan't to explore whatever's west of us but I think Bath could arrive quite quickly.

Being able to go down to the Avon gives us a chance to explore further. That would be nice.

The weather may decide how far we go. I don't mind a bit of rain but it's not so much fun spending too long in it. Better to moor near a good pub.

Thanks

Dave

If the rain carries on as it has, check the state of the Avon before you go down it, as it can get quite a flow on when all that rain starts coming down river after a few days.

And when I said sensible mooring, I meant pontoon mooring, with rings. There are obviously more places along the bank where you can moor. There are often boats moored in the lock cut before Weston lock (first lock after you get on the river), and there is a pub there aswel. You can moor at the outside of the locklanding at Saltford lock, handy for the Jolly Sailor pub .

If the rain carries on as it has, check the state of the Avon before you go down it, as it can get quite a flow on when all that rain starts coming down river after a few days.

And when I said sensible mooring, I meant pontoon mooring, with rings. There are obviously more places along the bank where you can moor. There are often boats moored in the lock cut before Weston lock (first lock after you get on the river), and there is a pub there aswel. You can moor at the outside of the locklanding at Saltford lock, handy for the Jolly Sailor pub .

That's the Dolphin Inn half way along the thin stretch of canal next to the small stone bridge, approaching the first lock you mention (Weston Lock) You used to be able to moor a narrowboat right outside the pubs beer garden, don't know if you still can any more and leave enough room for another boat to get by.

The Dolphin was my first local pub, 35 years ago laugh.gif back then it was quite an event when a n/b would moor up out back and it's crew pop in for a beer. Pub's a lot different now, much bigger with much larger beer garden, was a highly rated pub about 5 years ago, good food & real ales, not sure of it's status now though. But as stated you can moor just before the lock and walk back to the pub about 500 yards.

If the rain carries on as it has, check the state of the Avon before you go down it, as it can get quite a flow on when all that rain starts coming down river after a few days.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

Good point, it can get quite a fast flow and water level rise quite quickly, always allow plenty of slack on your mooring rope if it's rainy, especially on the railings at Kingsmead. And if the water level is high you can't get under the 2 road bridges there either.

Photo of the kingsmead moorings. Facing up river toward road bridges and Widcombe bottom lock

OnTheRiver006.jpg

Edited by Julynian

You can moor on the offside of the lock landing at the jolly sailor (I think that's saltford lock. The lock at saltford is helpfully called swineford I think) and not get in anyone's way. It's a nice pub too and a good stopover.

We've moored along the high wall outside the back of the Hop Pole pub. It is high though and you need to get on the roof to get up to the tow path. About 1/2 a mile from the railing moorings at Kingsmead. Good pint of Bath ale to be had there and beer garden.

you used to be able too moor at the boat house to visit the pub, but only whilst using the pub. Not sure if you still can. We've moored opposite that mooring also, there's a pathway leading to the road bridge on that side as well. Or moor on the pub side just past the bridge. We've moored lots of other places on that route, but their not "conventional moorings", basically anywhere you can get the boat in is a mooring to me laugh.gif

I did both of these last summer. It's best to phone the boathouse pub if you want to stay overnight. They're fine about it (or were) you just need to let them know in advance.

Note that the river after hannam is owned by bristol harbour. You're supposed to buy a temp licence at the next lock (netham) to get to bristol.

Edited by deletedaccount

Note that the river after hannam is owned by bristol harbour. You're supposed to buy a temp licence at the next lock (netham) to get to bristol.

The river after Hannam (lock) is also tidal, and there are no mooring between Hannam and Netham lock. You can info about times to travel into Bristol Floating Harbour from Trevor the lock keeper ar Hannam, or call the number on the sign. You do not have to pay to go on the river to Bristol, but you do have to pay for mooring, if you stay.

Hi,

the Avon sounds like fun.

I've just made a new gangplank from an old aluminium ladder (it's next to me now in the sitting romm with the paint drying), looks like a good oportunity to try it out.

We've got eleven days ahead of us. We aren't in any hurry. We wan't to explore whatever's west of us but I think Bath could arrive quite quickly.

Being able to go down to the Avon gives us a chance to explore further. That would be nice.

The weather may decide how far we go. I don't mind a bit of rain but it's not so much fun spending too long in it. Better to moor near a good pub.

Thanks

Dave

Ooh my first post.

And it's about a pub. Bath ain't the be all and end all, for a good pub try the Cross Guns at Avoncliff, Box Steam Brewery beers (pint of Funnel Blower....Yum!) and dangerous ciders. And tues night is singing night if'n you like a shanty or two.

For rivers the banks belong to riperian owners (i.e dont belong to the navigation company) therefore you should really be careful where you moor.

Dont know the Avon but certainly on the Trent and Ouse there are very few places where casual mooring is actually allowed.

Hi all,

I am going from Devizes to Bath next week.

How far can I go on my BW licence?

Does it cover the Avon or where do I have to turn around in Bath?

Thanks

Dave

if you are thinking of going past Bath bottom lock onto the Avon, BW have just issued a flood alert

River Avon

Wednesday 25 April 2012 until further notice

The River Avon is in flood, and has been closed to boating traffic until further notice.

Enquiries: 01380 722859

More stoppages on this waterway:

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/kennet-and-avon-canal/boating/stoppages

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Please do not reply to the email. It has been automatically generated.

To unsubscribe from this service please go to: http://www.waterscape.com/login and uncheck the relevant box.

Hi,

it looks like the weather has cancelled any chance of going down the Avon.

Oh well, travel very slowly towards Bath and back again. Never mind it will be good to get out.

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi,

it looks like the weather has cancelled any chance of going down the Avon.

Oh well, travel very slowly towards Bath and back again. Never mind it will be good to get out.

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions.

Many thanks

Dave

It can clear up almost as quick as it appears, I'f the rain holds off for a couple of days it would probably be easily navigable again. We've actually been on it in high flood, bit scary at first especially when your pontoon is 5 feet higher than the day before laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

thanks for the advice.

We made it to Bath. The avon looks a bit flooded.

DSCI0334.jpg

That was Wednesday, it was going down a bit by then.

Luctor, I said hello as I passed but didn't realise it was you until we had passed.

Stopping for a pint at the cross guns on the way back, discovered the beer garden was closed.

DSCI0343.jpg

Now we are in Bradford for the next four or so weeks whilst the leak is repaired.

Still despite the rain we had a great time.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Luctor,

we weren't there. Abandoned the boat and went back to the house.

More decorating to do and finish the brakes on my other bike for it's MOT. It needs doing before the exhaust falls of the one I am using daily at the moment.

We are looking forwards to the day when the house has a for sale sign outside, everything we need is in storage and we get to move on to the boat full time.

Ta

Dave