Corridor width

Featured Posts

I'll shortly be fitting a bathroom into my boat & I'm wondering about the corridor. What is the average width of these? Are there any regulations as to how wide they have to be for safety reasons? Obviously I want to give as much space to the bathroom as I can. :cheers:

I'll shortly be fitting a bathroom into my boat & I'm wondering about the corridor. What is the average width of these? Are there any regulations as to how wide they have to be for safety reasons? Obviously I want to give as much space to the bathroom as I can. :cheers:

Is this a narrowboat?

Yes a narrowboat.

OK - just measured our corridor at gunwale height and it's 21.5 inches

The bathroom is 45.5 inches wide at the same height.

I can comfortably walk down our corridor but only if I tilt one shoulder forward of the other, if that makes sense.

HTH....

I looked at the biggest object i might want to move along the boat (my generator) and based the corridor on that, 24"

That's not a bad idea. It wouldn't work for me though as my dad regularly visits the boat & he is enormous! (sorry dad)

I'm hoping there are no regs regarding this so I can maximise space, I do remember having to 'shuffle' a bit down the old corridor, wish I'd measured it.

I can comfortably walk down our corridor but only if I tilt one shoulder forward of the other, if that makes sense.

HTH....

Thanks for that Martin, yes I had to do the same lean down the old corridor. If I stick to 21" then I should be about where I was before.

The next obstacle will be getting all the materials through the front door, this should be fun given the struggle I had removing the old fittings, I even wondered If they'd originally fitted the boat out before welding the roof on :blush:

mine allows for the width of toilet cassette to be pulled out

Another very good point, I'm going the cassette route.

My corridor was limited by having a 27" sit-bath in the bathroom across the width of the boat.

Despite this, even my rather large frame can comfortably walk down the corridor. I would keep it reasonably wide though as it puts people off buying a boat if the corridor is too narrow and people have to shuffle sideways. (and I've dealt with some where I could barely get down the corridor!).

Make the corridor part of the bathroom then the width isn't an issue.

I have considered this but I couldn't work out how to do it! I can't make the bathroom a central walk through as I am now committed to a side walkway to fit in with my layout. I tried & failed to design 2 swinging doors that would close neatly against the boat sides, & then close back against the bathroom again. If that makes any sense at all :wacko:

HTH....

Sounds like ours,I too have to do the shoulder tilt thing. I could have built the bathroom into the corridor a little less, except that I wanted the 4 foot bath across the boat. Another time I would put a "dog leg" in the bathroom side adjoining corridor,so that there would be more shoulder clearance,but full width for bath at lower half.

bath-1.jpg

Edited by Guest

Do you use your bath a lot? I'm planning on just a shower cubicle, hoping I don't miss the bath too much.

If we were having a boat built we would have a bath but with a shower above.

Jan likes a bath, I like a shower, job done.

To the OP, you have read through the BSS before you make any changes to your boat, haven't you?

I have glanced at it yes, & revert back when needed. Although a newbie to narrowboats I consider myself competent enough to tackle the job safely.

I have glanced at it yes, & revert back when needed. Although a newbie to narrowboats I consider myself competent enough to tackle the job safely.

I have made the passageway past my fixed double bed close to the minimum advised by the BSS.

I am going to make a BSS-sized template so that I can keep checking as I build.

22" minimum really for corridor but a walk through bathroom is do-able generally....our smallest was 5'4" long, with a bath/shower/sink unit & cassette loo! Never say never! oh, & storage!!

Edited by Ally