Canal etiquette

Cellarman

Featured Posts

I take tickover to mean the minimum throttle movement in order to engage forward gear. Some days depending on the weather condition more throttle is necessary to have full control of the boat. Some people have taken exception to this but generally those that move alot know that it is rather better to suffer a bit of rocking than have 60ft of steel up close and personal.

Boondock

Ta. What about the "I" at the end? To Be Honest Injun?

I assume that this is what those young people call text (or txt?) speak. You're obviously a mobile phone owner.

Right then, we should slow down to a considerate speed, which may be tickover or just above depending on the swim of our boat and the grunt of our engine, when passing moored craft. That should get past t'committee I reckon.

I'm still not convinced about the slowing down when passing a moving boat bit, though.One poster suggests that otherwise we may take the other boat's water away; but he's taking ours too, so the water flows should surely cancel each other out. I have noticed our stern moving sideways AFTER we've passed another boat but that's easily corrected.

I think I corrected the extraneous I with an edit and do you mean there are still people who don't have a mobile phone... :o how do they survive?? :lol:

Committee I think have approved it - they just need to let the 'self appointed' speed police on their boats know the decision.

As to the moving boats thing - yes I've noticed the same though I don't think that comes from the depth but rather the flow around the hulls. Chertsey (I think it was) once described a technique on here of approaching a boat coming the other way almost head on and then steering and 'skirting' around the other boat with both boats them coming into line as the sterns passed each other....

Sounds like an aquatic version of playing "chicken" to me. I have seen it done and have thought that it was just t'other bloke being macho and showing how late he could safely pull out, if you'll pardon the expression.

I don't know what proportion of adults in Britain own a phobile mone - about a third perhaps? I am happy to be a part of the other fraction, though I must admit that Mrs. Athy does own such a device. Like a car and a wife, one per family should suffice.

I think I corrected the extraneous I with an edit and do you mean there are still people who don't have a mobile phone... :o how do they survive?? :lol:

Committee I think have approved it - they just need to let the 'self appointed' speed police on their boats know the decision.

As to the moving boats thing - yes I've noticed the same though I don't think that comes from the depth but rather the flow around the hulls. Chertsey (I think it was) once described a technique on here of approaching a boat coming the other way almost head on and then steering and 'skirting' around the other boat with both boats them coming into line as the sterns passed each other....

That's exactly what I was taught to do - - both the boats wake creating a 'cushion' of water between them, and keeps an even distance between them

Edited by Grace & Favour

That's exactly what I was taught to do - - both the boats wake creating a 'cushoin' of water between them, and keeps an even distance between then

I have heard this technique before, and in a world where everyone on the canals had a similar level of expertise it would be fine. However, I find it hard to guess the experience of an approaching boat's helmsman and so find it safer to get over nice an early leaving them in no doubt that i) I've seen them and am not ploughing on regardless and ii) we'll be passing each other on the right.

Sounds like an aquatic version of playing "chicken" to me. I have seen it done and have thought that it was just t'other bloke being macho and showing how late he could safely pull out, if you'll pardon the expression.

I don't know what proportion of adults in Britain own a phobile mone - about a third perhaps? I am happy to be a part of the other fraction, though I must admit that Mrs. Athy does own such a device. Like a car and a wife, one per family should suffice.

Way out Mike - even I was surprised at it being 91% mind..

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/facts/

Proportion of adults who personally own/use a mobile phone in the UK 91% (Q4 2011)

Though it does say own/use so perhaps it includes couples who share a phone :unsure: (though I do wonder what they do if they need to ring the other person and they've got the phone and the other person has not)

Edited by MJG

Way out Mike - even I was surprised at it being 91% mind..

To use an expression often heard in the North, especially in retail outlets. HOW MUCH??? Perhaps the statistic may be interpreted as "91% of households" in which case I rather shmefacedly admit that chez Atherton qualifies.

(though I do wonder what they do if they need to ring the other person and they've got the phone and the other person has not)

Weeeell, they could a) use a phone box, B) if at home, use the house's phone or c) decide that (like a vast proportion of mobile phone calls I suspect) their call is not necessary and not bother.

Weeeell, they could a) use a phone box, B) if at home, use the house's phone or c) decide that (like a vast proportion of mobile phone calls I suspect) their call is not necessary and not bother.

So you have the mobile on you and are out and need to ring Mrs A who is also out and so you go into a phone box - how's that going to work then?? :P

Jan's 80 year old mother has just got one of these -

http://www.orange.com/en_EN/press/press_releases/cp100901en.jsp

We have the assurance she can summon help if she needs to while out and about (she is not in the best of health) and we can contact her if we need to as she is prone to making spontaneous decisions to go out for the day with friends and we are left wondering where the hell she is when we ring her at home...

Edited by MJG

So you have the mobile on you and are out and need to ring Mrs A who is also out and so you go into a phone box - how's that going to work then?? :P

Mischievous wee tyke today, are you not, Martin?

Firstly, i do not have a mobile phone but she does, so I can ring her from home or from a phone box as she generally takes the device with her when she goes out.

Secondly, define "need": how did everyone cope until perhaps five or six years ago when mobile phone use became widespread? This brings me back to my point about how many calls are actually necessary. When I see/hear people in a supermarket ringing home to discuss the relative merits of different brands of custard powder it makes me cringe. Did they leave their brain at home? I bet the mobile phone companies like them doing it, though, as they amass huge bills each month!

just bored - weathers crap and am ready to go boating but can't go till tomorrow. :(

I do agree on the need thing but their can be circumstances where they can prove invaluable and extremely convenient.

I have a PAYG phone and topped it up by £5 about 2 months ago - I've just topped it up by the same and expect it to last as long. :cheers:

Firstly, i do not have a mobile phone but she does, so I can ring her from home or from a phone box as she generally takes the device with her when she goes out.

Secondly, define "need": how did everyone cope until perhaps five or six years ago when mobile phone use became widespread? This brings me back to my point about how many calls are actually necessary. When I see/hear people in a supermarket ringing home to discuss the relative merits of different brands of custard powder it makes me cringe. Did they leave their brain at home? I bet the mobile phone companies like them doing it, though, as they amass huge bills each month!

Thing is, the mobile phone is a communication device. It's for communicating. You know, like talking. How many of your conversations in any given day are strictly necessary? If I'm in Tesco's and it's slipped my mind what brand of custard the mam'sahib prefers (I prefer not to use my brain for storing such trivia), I possess a device with which I can find out immediately and for free (well, for nothing more than it costs to own the device). Also, last month when I was viciously attacked by my own axe, it came in v. handy indeed and I am ever so grateful I didn't have to hobble, pants around ankles with blood spurting in all directions, to the nearest out-of-order phone box.

just bored - weathers crap and am ready to go boating but can't go till tomorrow. :(

I do agree on the need thing but their can be circumstances where they can prove invaluable and extremely convenient.

I have a PAYG phone and topped it up by £5 about 2 months ago - I've just topped it up by the same and expect it to last as long. :cheers:

I had not read the latter part of your previous post, sorry, and I can see (though your link would not open) that a mobile phone can be useful as an alarm-call device for your mother-in-law.

You're stuck in Mnemonic City whilst you await your boating trip - you have a PAYG phone? Does it make porcine noises instead of ringing?

Mr. Hearts, yes, I realise that telephones are for communication, I have used them on and off for many years, you cheeky monkey. But if you think that knowing your mem'sahib likes and dislikes comes under trivia which are not worthy of storage in your brain, I think that your priorities may be open to question. That said, Mrs. Athy and I celebrated our Silver Wedding anniversary yesterday, and I discovered only last weekend that she doesn't like Milky Way chocolate bars. Whoops.

Edited by Athy

...I think that your priorities may be open to question.

You are not mistaken there. The unexamined life is not worth living, etc.

...I discovered only last weekend that she doesn't like Milky Way chocolate bars. Whoops.

When you had already bought her one, I presume? More for you, then. Not quite so "whoops" after all, although in these situations it always best to affect a "whoops". Nom nom nom. ;)

That's exactly what I was taught to do - - both the boats wake creating a 'cushoin' of water between them, and keeps an even distance between then

That's what you'll find Tawny Owl doing if I'm steering

Richard

And I am not going to just put the engine in gear since it shakes the bugger too much. I will reduce to just above bad vibration speed, about 1000 rpm and just fast enough to steer.

If it helps, when you passed me the other day, I thought your speed was fine

Richard

You are not mistaken there. The unexamined life is not worth living, etc.

When you had already bought her one, I presume? More for you, then. Not quite so "whoops" after all, although in these situations it always best to affect a "whoops". Nom nom nom. ;)

Nearly: when I spotted a Milky Way egg on special offer while we were in Asda's. Same result when I pointed out a Mars bar egg |(how can anyone not like Mars bars?). Luckily we then found a Caramel egg which she told me that I liked. ;)

Edited by Athy

That's what you'll find Tawny Owl doing if I'm steering

Richard

If it helps, when you passed me the other day, I thought your speed was fine

Richard

Thank you. But you did have your head down an engine ole!!

But Lily Maud makes very little disturbance as she cuts thro the H2O

Nice one, Floaty, have a Green Thing.

No doubt GRP cruiser owners would go for a Crunchie, day-hire boaters would choose a Picnic and BCN dwellers would insist on a Bournville.

Mrs. Athy and I celebrated our Silver Wedding anniversary yesterday, and I discovered only last weekend that she doesn't like Milky Way chocolate bars. Whoops.

Many congratulations. The Memsahib and I are celebrating 30 years of Marital Gridlock today.

When I spotted a Milky Way egg on special offer while we were in Asda's. Same result when I pointed out a Mars bar egg |(how can anyone not like Mars bars?). Luckily we then found a Caramel egg which she told me that I liked. ;)

No doubt GRP cruiser owners would go for a Crunchie, day-hire boaters would choose a Picnic and BCN dwellers would insist on a Bournville.

I established two basic truths some years ago. (1) chocolate eggs are compulsory this time of year. (2) they had better be large, expensive, and made of plain chocolate, preferably fairly traded. It doesn't get any easier!

Contrast my liquid Easter egg which usually comes in a glass bottle from a Scottish island...

Lily Maud makes very little disturbance as she cuts thro the H2O

That's the most important consideration, getting us back on topic!

• Greenie 1

Many congratulations. The Memsahib and I are celebrating 30 years of Marital Gridlock today.

I established two basic truths some years ago. (1) chocolate eggs are compulsory this time of year. (2) they had better be large, expensive, and made of plain chocolate, preferably fairly traded. It doesn't get any easier!

Contrast my liquid Easter egg which usually comes in a glass bottle from a Scottish island...

That's the most important consideration, getting us back on topic!

Not if you are going to talk about Laphroig!

Hi all

..............We were passed one evening - after dark - by a boat which zoomed past us within just a foot or so, pushing us heavily against the bank.

Such behaviour is inexcusable, especially from narrowboat owners.

As a newcomer to the world of boating the very first thing I was told was not to create any wash when passing other stationary boats. So far I believe I have done ok looking over my shoulder to see if any movement takes place as I move by. What thought did occur to me is that if other boaters are unaware of the fact that their wash is causing an issue to others then why not put a sign on the stationary boat saying please pass slowly (forgive me if this is a stupid idea)?

What I also found a bit scary was that last weekend there were boats moored on both sides of the canal and I had a boat coming towards me. I slowed to almost a stop unsure if there was room for both of us to pass and did feel like I was drifting towards the other boat at one point until I picked up the revs a little.

The other thing I was concious of was passing moored boats at just above tickover gave me a sense that the boat owner behind me found me a bit annoying trundling along so slowly. I thought this was what boat ownership was all about or is it the Sunday driver issue all over again? As I made the turn into our Marina entrance I was quite surprised to find he didn't slow up for me making my turn (wasn't sure I could make it in one) again making me feel somehow inadequate and also unnerving me as he passed close behind me. Am I expecting too much from other canal users to give me space when entering or exiting a Marina or is this also an example of playing Chicken?

Edited by Escape

As a newcomer to the world of boating the very first thing I was told was not to create any wash when passing other stationary boats. So far I believe I have done ok looking over my shoulder to see if any movement takes place as I move by. What thought did occur to me is that if other boaters are unaware of the fact that their wash is causing an issue to others then why not put a sign on the stationary boat saying please pass slowly (forgive me if this is a stupid idea)?

What I also found a bit scary was that last weekend there were boats moored on both sides of the canal and I had a boat coming towards me. I slowed to almost a stop unsure if there was room for both of us to pass and did feel like I was drifting towards the other boat at one point until I picked up the revs a little.

The other thing I was concious of was passing moored boats at just above tickover gave me a sense that the boat owner behind me found me a bit annoying trundling along so slowly. I thought this was what boat ownership was all about or is it the Sunday driver issue all over again? As I made the turn into our Marina entrance I was quite surprised to find he didn't slow up for me making my turn (wasn't sure I could make it in one) again making me feel somehow inadequate and also unnerving me as he passed close behind me. Am I expecting too much from other canal users to give me space when entering or exiting a Marina or is this also an example of playing Chicken?

I think you need to make a judgement on what's a reasonable amount of wash to leave, since its impossible to not leave any, strictly. You should go slow enough to not bump around the boat and keep it secure on its mooring, but if people can't be bothered to adequately moor their boats then ultimately its their problem, not yours so don't go super slow otherwise you'll never get where you want to!

If someone's behind you then its equally as courteous to offer they overtake (or match their speed), as it is for them to 'back off' and give you space. I always let boats go past in a convenient spot well before maneouvres such as mooring, turning or entering a marina. At some point, you're so close anyway that you can no longer offer the overtake - so try to plan ahead, or make good way anyway so as not holding them up if an ovetake isn't possible.

I had not read the latter part of your previous post, sorry, and I can see (though your link would not open) that a mobile phone can be useful as an alarm-call device for your mother-in-law.

The link was to a very easy to use mobile phone from Orange

try it again - Orange's web site is often a pain in the arse (PITA) by the way (BTW).

http://www.orange.com/en_EN/press/press_releases/cp100901en.jsp

You're stuck in Mnemonic City whilst you await your boating trip - you have a PAYG phone? Does it make porcine noises instead of ringing?

Only if I top it up...PAYG is an abbreviation for....dang....suckered...