Signwriting

DHutch

Featured Posts

at the end of the last season we got our bottom painted (upto the walkway) - and we are going paint the cabin this spring

- i can do stright lines, and we did a touch up job on the name, but we have three groups of flowers on each side and these are going to need repainting.

- i was wondering if one has tryed to have a go themselfs and had some "hints n tips" becuase we though we might get my sister to have a go doing them for us (becuase shed more naturaly artist then i am!!)

thanks, daniel

I found BRUSHES are very important,

yeah, I agree, it is difficult without brushes..... :o (sorry, couldn't resist that).

I'm about to embark on a 3 day journey from the snowy highlands of NE Turkey back to the UK for Xmas, so I'm feeling a little light-hearted (and light-headed - it's the altitude - 8000ft).

Edited by chris polley

Ok, thanks

- my grandad was going to get a book or two, and some brushes and give then to my sister

i had a look on Phil Speight wen site and he seams the sell a "roses starter kit"

Craftmaster's ROSES STARTER KIT - Everything you need - in a box!

In this box you will find everything you will need to begin painting proper traditional canal roses. There are 5 tins of paint, 3 paint brushes and full instructions telling you how to use them - as well as a full colour illustration showing all the separate stages. DESIGNED BY PHIL SPEIGHT- MASTER PAINTER IN THE WATERWAYS CRAFT GUILD.

- so i'll try and get hold of one of thos

Daniel

Ok, thanks

- my grandad was going to get a book or two, and some brushes and give then to my sister

i had a look on Phil Speight wen site and he seams the sell a "roses starter kit"

- so i'll try and get hold of one of thos

Daniel

What a neat idea for a crimbo prezzie. I will have to remember that one.

Give a prezzie to someone that they have to use on your boat, thats so kewl. :o

Guest Sweeney

I can recommend Painting Roses and Castles, by Anne Young, printed by David and Young. £12.99 from WH Smiths (ordered).

Since er indoors started using it the space is rapidly disappearing.

Regards,

Sweeney.

• 3 weeks later...

Go to

www.mobilesignmaker.com

They will come to you and will do most designs in most colours etc.

and will do the work in vinal. Which ok is not as traditional, but looks great and will last a lot longer that paint.

We have our boat wrapped in the stuff.

Call us crazy but it does look good.

you can telephone as well

ask for Simon or Neil

PS

They also have an expert painter who works for them and he does all the flowery things, he paints milk churns with the castle and rose designs on

Edited by Thalia

It definately does look good.

Although I was a little off topic (sorry) because the flowers etc would not look good in vinal but lettering, and other designs and main colouring all look fab.

The lasting longer comment. The material is gaurenteed by the companies that sell it to last 10 years. (this is assuming it is on a shop front or a its used as a vehicle graphic)

I am well aware that it is unlikely to last that long on Thalia, but its not going to fade in the time it is on there.

I doubt if it is to everyones taste. But I love it.

I'll probably use vinyl lettering for mine too, mainly because I have access to it for free to any design or colour I choose.

But the trees, odd ding and stuff will damage it far easier than paint probably. And paint looks far more of a proper job.

. And paint looks far more of a proper job.

Well it actually shows through the effect of the paint underneath, so it still looks painted to the untrained eye. Just extra shiney. Much easier to clean as well. I like that bit!

(It workes very well to touch up scratches on bikes as well)

Hi Thilia

Everyone to there own, I believe some people even plant plastic flowers in there gardens. :)

If my fiance or I were any good at painting or we could afford to have it re sprayed, I would personally choose that option coz I am a bit olde worlde, I still love our boat how she is.

Coz It ment I could have her in my wedding colour scheme :D

Edited by Thalia

I spent two days watching Ron Hough paint the back panels on my boat, and decided at that point that there is so much to getting the lettereing exactly right and in the correct position, that it is a task best left to an expert. I am reasonably artistic person, and actually did some graphic design training when I was much younger (the old fashioned way with paint and brushes - I even had a couple of exhibitions), but after watching Ron, I decided that I could never come close to his level of expertise. After the overall design of a boat, the sign writing is probobly the most important part if of it's appearance, You spend thousands on the shell so why not a few hundred on the signwriting?

Absolutly, the skill in painting is definately not to be knocked.

When we have made our millions from being the mobile sign maker and a horse trainer we will absolutley have a beautifully painted boat, with all the authenticity in the world but we just don't have that sort of money (see loose stern tube) and the vinyl graphics are free to us while we are in that business.

I'll try to get a pic of our boat to show you, I realise it sounds like we have a plastic looking boat, but it really doesn't.

And I wish I could paint it all my self too, but we tried that. And like you said it would take years and possibly a life time to gain the skill to paint the designs so that I would be happ that they were perfect. :D

Vinyl lettering depends so much on the preparation. I've seen plenty of boats where the lettering is curling up at the edge.

But my boat has vinyl lettering. Most of it has been on for at least seven years. We changed the name of the boat when we bought it, 4 years ago, and the local vinyl shop matched colour and font exactly. You have to look pretty closely to tell it is vinyl not paint. There is also a fairly fancy compass rose graphic on the side, again at least 7 years old, which is also as good as new.

I think if the quality of the vinyl is good, and the surface is cleaned properly, it should last a good while. Easy to apply as well - ready spaced.

• 2 weeks later...

:) Hello! You can get a basic kit of brushes and paints from a number of suppliers. A.S. Handover are pretty good as are Wrights of Lymm. They also supply one shot lettering enamels which are used the world over and I can recommend them as I am a signwriter and use them every day! To do lettering you need to use chisel edged brushes. If you are going to get some then I would recommend brushes with a mixture of ox hair and sable because they are cheaper than pure sable. If you want to trace a picture for example you can use tracing paper or if you dont have any then you can use comuter paper and tape it over what you want to trace then wet it all over with white spirit and it will make it visible.then just trace it with a pencil and before you draw it where you want it put chalk the back of the drawing then rub it in and off you go! The paints may need to be thinned down a bit and what I use is Pure gum turpentine which you can get from most hardware shops. Good luck! :)

In response to the vinyl option I would say don't touch that stuff with a barge pole!

I have been in the signwriting business for about 16 years and I have never lost my love of paint and brushes! infact it has got stronger. Vinyl lettering has no soul. If you write something with the brush you are putting a real part of yourself into it. I love to use gold leaf because it looks absolutely amazing with a good shadow and outline!! Vinyl lettering shrinks leaving an outline of glue. When you clean it you catch the edges which are raised and they will start peeling. It has its uses but this isnt one of them. Long live the brush!! :lol:

Edited by wormsplicer