Screw fix

Kristian

Featured Posts

For some reason, International don't seem to make black paint, only red and a few other light colours. Have you used any black paint you would recommend?

Never seen black sorry. I know they do a grey as I once used it, which could possibly be made into black with suitable pigment added?

Black paint on a deck? Hmmm.... not good.

Effect of solar gain?

Thinking aloud really, but I have noticed that some garage floor paints are suitable for outdoor use(the particular International that I use definitely is) and some makes no mention of being suitable for outdoor use. Might be worth bearing in mind.

Thinking aloud really, but I have noticed that some garage floor paints are suitable for outdoor use(the particular International that I use definitely is) and some makes no mention of being suitable for outdoor use. Might be worth bearing in mind.

That is why in my post I specified solvent based. I noticed that and it can be hard obtaining the outdoor one at times.

That is why in my post I specified solvent based. I noticed that and it can be hard obtaining the outdoor one at times.

Isomehow managed to miss your post Tony. Your findings are very similar to mine with International.

Isomehow managed to miss your post Tony. Your findings are very similar to mine with International.

Twas buried in a load of text. SHMBO keeps on at me for using too many paragraphs when she proof reads the magazine stuff - so we get points missed. :rolleyes:

Why not?

Presumably because it will get too hot. For steel boats light colours are more practical in summer. My cabin sides are black and they are hotter to the touch than the creme roof. How much of that heat is transferred into the boat is difficult to judge, but with the sun beating down on the steel even sprayfoam will have a hard job of preventing heat conduction from outside because it's bonded to the steel.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to do it, but just to give you some idea, on a hot summers day you'd never be able to walk barefoot on a black deck.

Edited by blackrose

We have used floor paint on the roof and decks. Some clearly state for concrete floors, so probably best avoided (unless you have a concrete boat, of course), while others do state good for metal. We have found though that the consistency can vary considerably; couple of years back we re-did the roof with some stuff that was dry by it came out of the tin. Worked OK though, as applied thickly with a stiff brush, it gave an excellent no slip, slightly ribbed finish. Durability has been good, even in the highest fottfall areas.

Mike.

• Greenie 1

Presumably because it will get too hot. For steel boats light colours are more practical in summer. My cabin sides are black and they are hotter to the touch than the creme roof. How much of that heat is transferred into the boat is difficult to judge, but with the sun beating down on the steel even sprayfoam will have a hard job of preventing heat conduction from outside because it's bonded to the steel.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to do it, but just to give you some idea, on a hot summers day you'd never be able to walk barefoot on a black deck.

I see. It's just that I've seen a few all black boats and I thought they looked cool, in my extremely subjective opinion, than the red or green ones. As the summers are fairly short in the UK, I would still tend to prefer black to other colours, as the reverse (not so cold in the winter) must also be true.

What about the paint itself, do you just recommend the extr. expensive marine paints or have you achieved satisfactory results with more common oil based varieties?

Edited by pedroinlondon

I see. It's just that I've seen a few all black boats and I thought they looked cool, in my extremely subjective opinion, than the red or green ones. As the summers are fairly short in the UK, I would still tend to prefer black to other colours, as the reverse (not so cold in the winter) must also be true.

What about the paint itself, do you just recommend the extr. expensive marine paints or have you achieved satisfactory results with more common oil based varieties?

I used International ten year gloss on the cabin sides last year. So far so good. I seem to recall other members have used this paint too.

http://www.international-paints.co.uk/products/info/10_year_exterior_gloss.jsp

We used the previously mentioned International paint on our roof last year after a series of 'blistering' problems with a well known brand of paint commonly found in selected chandlers, this is the first year we ain't got blisters...so I would recommend it...

Got the Leyland floor paint on my boat. It's ok. No problems. It has anti-slip qualities.

Not used the floor paint but Leyland paint is usually ok.

At the uni motorclub we used to buy the big vats of white gloss cheap from screwfix, then nip round the decorators shop who also sold layland paints (but where much more expensive) and get a half liter of what ever colour we wanted but really dark. Mix the two, and paint whatever trailer/container/subframe was to be victim that day.

I have also used the 'no nonsense' floorpaint from screwfix on a plywood trailer floor and while it appears flexible and sticky enough to largely remain on the floor (limited surface prep) it wasnt quality paint by any means!

Daniel