Clothing up?

GSer

Featured Posts

Side cloths are pretty straight forward and i think i'm best part there with those but roping the topcloths leaves a couple of options at least

Zig zag a single line through the gunwhale rings, long enough to secure a single cloth, ie not giving a linear/regimental look.

Or using Individual ropes joining just two rings, giving a more even look to the appearance.

I've seen some boats have little hooks that locate in the rings, that must make things a little easier.

I'm using a truckers hitch to create tension in the ropes, is that how its normally done.

So many questions, hemp, or use more modern materials is another i'm pondering.

Cheers

Paul

There's probably as may ways to fasten the top cloths down as there are owners/users of historic boats, but the common theme is to avoid actual knots, so that a single tug on the loose end will undo it, speeding up the unclothing process. Generally it's an individual string across the top plank from gunnel to gunnel, hook on one end then threaded through the opposite ring and back up to the top plank. From there it gets harder to describe ...

Having pulled the string as tight as possible, go across the top plank and under the string on the opposite side from where it returns to the top plank, some folk take a full turn around the string at this point to better 'lock' it against the edge of the top plank. Take the string back to the other side of the top plank and repeat. Then wrap the string around under itself to form a sort of 'mat' effect across the top plank until you use most of it up. Then wrap it around the double string coming up from the gunnel and finish by passing a loop through between the two strings up tight against the turns. This will stay put, but can be undone with single pull on the loose end.

A similar system is used to both fasten and tension the side cloths - except the string goes back and forth under the top plank with a sharp tug to tension up the sheets before being wound and looped as above.

That's great info, thanks.

That clip is great, very informative, not only good info on clothing up, but its nice to see how they handled a pair, i've got alot to learn :blink:

I like the mop twirling sequence (just after the clothing up). That's something I've always found tricky!

• 1 month later...

When you look at most people's gunnel rings, they sort of flop down in the scallop notched out for them. I was lucky enough to have new gunnels on Chertsey and when it came to fitting these rings I said that they should lay flat on the gunnel across the notch. This certainly makes them easier to catch with a hook when standing/kneeling on the top plank. I made my topcloth strings with two hooks; one spliced onto the end and one free running - its easier to hook the ring both sides than thread the string through. I will also use hooks for the topcloth strings; at the moment they're done with blur polyprop. These are just small s-hooks crimped on with big pliers.

Here's a piccie

IMG_0372blog.jpg

more here:

http://chertsey130.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/on-side.html

and here

http://chertsey130.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/stringing-along.html

Edited by Chertsey

If you're going to do them from the top planks could you make a 5 foot lightweight Dutch hook to clip the s-hooks on.

Btw do you have galvanised s-hooks I had problems finding them?

I thought they were called Dutch hooks, but a search seems to imply they're something different. Like a boat hook with a snap for pushing a rope through.

If you're going to do them from the top planks could you make a 5 foot lightweight Dutch hook to clip the s-hooks on.

Btw do you have galvanised s-hooks I had problems finding them?

I thought they were called Dutch hooks, but a search seems to imply they're something different. Like a boat hook with a snap for pushing a rope through.

Got the s-hooks in Kelsalls (Cannock way); excellent shop if you're in the area. Pete Boyce also brought some with him, presumably from Braunston. Yes, they're galvanised.