Eberspacher problem

barney84

Featured Posts

Thanks again for all your posts after i jumped in there , and does come down to personal opinion want to stay as selfsuficient poss , and with no diesel heating how do we get hot water without running the engine , was possibly looking into diesel generater for hot water if at all possible , which we would have to run anyway to top up batteries or time things right and just use the engine !!! Aaarrrh just bibbbling on now soz and thanks again

There's a manual for Hydronic 10 here.

Appears 54 is:

"Flame cutout in high mode

Heater has started (flame detected) and indicates flame loss in a power setting. Check fuel flow rate, blower speed, fuel supply, exhaust pipe and combustion air piping. If combustion is O.K., check flame sensor, replace if necessary. Flame sensor values:900 ohms

at -25°C, 1100 ohms at +25°C."

cheers,

Pete.

Hi thank you I will have a look into it

• 11 months later...

Hi all today at the boat I turned on my eberspacher(d5w)to warm the place up abit but it seems to have developed a problem

It starts to do it's checking then blows out a puff of smoke then seems to turn it's self off

Has anyone had a problem like this if so what can I check for

I have a similar problem and I have been told it is due to voltage drop when the glow Plug is being fired. Does anyone know the minimum voltage required before the unit closes down ?

Cheers

has the unit ever been serviced?

mine ran for six and a half years without a service.it is not hard to do.if i can do it anybody can.just take your time.here is the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14SUSxfPHPY

get the correct parts from here http://www.pfjones.co.uk/eberspacher-heaters-eberspacher-parts/eberspacher-spare-parts.html#.UTW8vzevOH8 or ebay or where ever.the fault codes can be found on the eber.site i think.

i have heard that a lot of the problems with these units is bad/incorrect installation.

make sure it has fuel/power and air.

DO NOT be put off by all the ''we dont need it/use it'',''waste of money'',they are toys'',''they dont work'' blah!blah! blah!

they are a very good secondary/backup form of heating as they can be timed.

they are a very good water heater if you are not cruising,dont have a landline and dont want to wear out your engine.

i know of people who got a new build widebeam and thought that they could manage with just a diesel fired heater because they were hooked to a land line.boy! were they sorry.

best of luck. paul.

When our boat was built, in ignorance we thought that a diesel system, with automatic control would be ideal. No room taken up in the boat, no ash, no bags of coal or wood, it was a no brainer.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing!

Our ebersplutter failed many times in the few years we struggled with it. I'm a capable service engineer so whenever I could I serviced it myself. The fault was almost always coking up, but many failures were components, which is expensive. Voltage does play a major part in failing to start as well.

We finally gave up on it and bit the bullet. We now have what we consider the best system. A Hurricane heater. These can be fitted with a heat exchanger so that the engine heat can be used in the boat as well/instead of the heater. It's powerful and where the D5W uses .84 l/hr to produce around 5Kw this usnit is rated at 7.2 Kw for .85 l/hr so doesn't need to run as long.

They are designed for easy owner servicing.

Having said that the down side of this unit are:

1. It's fairly noisy.

2. We have had a problem, but it turned out to be a faulty part which was fitted under guarantee.

3. It's expensive.

If you don't want the hassle of a stove in your living area this is a good way to go.

Bob

When our boat was built, in ignorance we thought that a diesel system, with automatic control would be ideal. No room taken up in the boat, no ash, no bags of coal or wood, it was a no brainer.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing!

Our ebersplutter failed many times in the few years we struggled with it. I'm a capable service engineer so whenever I could I serviced it myself. The fault was almost always coking up, but many failures were components, which is expensive. Voltage does play a major part in failing to start as well.

We finally gave up on it and bit the bullet. We now have what we consider the best system. A Hurricane heater. These can be fitted with a heat exchanger so that the engine heat can be used in the boat as well/instead of the heater. It's powerful and where the D5W uses .84 l/hr to produce around 5Kw this usnit is rated at 7.2 Kw for .85 l/hr so doesn't need to run as long.

They are designed for easy owner servicing.

Having said that the down side of this unit are:

1. It's fairly noisy.

2. We have had a problem, but it turned out to be a faulty part which was fitted under guarantee.

3. It's expensive.

If you don't want the hassle of a stove in your living area this is a good way to go.

Bob

4.they allso look like they take up a bit of space

I found lots of info on this web site. www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk Dont be put off by the name their is lots of usful info (well I found it useful anyway). On the home page look at the menue on the left top side and choose the obvious option. Sorry dont know how to do the linky thing.

Hi all stupid questions here ! Just wondered if any of these diesel heating systems were any good ,looking to get widebeam built with one of these systems fitted are they worth it bearing in mind we will be living aboard and didnt fancy coming home to a winging wife being cold !!!!

Simon & jan - we too are having a widebeam built (delivered as a sailaway as of mid March). I'm fitting a Webasto system to the boat and having worked with these heaters over the years, can say, so long as they are maintained then they are reliable. Our widebeam will be moored at Burton Waters if you ever want to drop by and see how the fit out is going!?

:cheers:

4.they allso look like they take up a bit of space

Yesss, but not as much as a solid fuel stove and all its fuel. We didn't have any trouble getting into our engine compartment (we're semi trad), while leaving room to service it as well.

Yesss, but not as much as a solid fuel stove and all its fuel. We didn't have any trouble getting into our engine compartment (we're semi trad), while leaving room to service it as well.

i am sure that the hurricane is a good unit but the size comparison was with an eber.and not a solid fuel stove.

I have a similar problem and I have been told it is due to voltage drop when the glow Plug is being fired. Does anyone know the minimum voltage required before the unit closes down ?

As well as checking the voltage at the heater under load while firing up, apparently there's also an internal fuseholder in the control box/ECU which can become iffy.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I must be in line for a record. I have a 14 year old + D5W that yet has to be fired up for the first time. it's fully fitted apart from being 'watered up' and a fuse replaced (removed for safety porpoises). It's been a 'donor' several times for friends but has yet to produce a single BTU of heat. Over the years I've seen a number of references to stripping them down, de-coking them etc but never been able to find specific instructions. Do they exist and if so,where? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.as a change of moorings means that a working Eberspacher would be really useful.

Frank

Try You Tube

Edited to remove repetition.

Hi all today at the boat I turned on my eberspacher(d5w)to warm the place up abit but it seems to have developed a problem

It starts to do it's checking then blows out a puff of smoke then seems to turn it's self off

Has anyone had a problem like this if so what can I check for

Happens to mine after a period of idleness of a month or so. I turn it off, let it cycle through the power down sequences and then start it again, usually with no further problem. It's 7 years old and has been serviced once.

HTH.

Edited by Bimbly1

mines a d4w, serviced many many times, only parts I bought where the gaskets for the rebuild and once the glow plug went. 95% + it was coked up nothing more. if you do manage to get it to light by luck/weather conditions then let it run for as long as you can, give it a chance to clear the soot. :)

I found it work for me (when trying to keep it going 24/7 :) )

• 5 months later...

I hope I am in the right place, I am new to this forum. If I should have started a new topic, someone please tell me.

I have a 14 year old Eberspacher Hydronic D10 in my boat, and it has packed up! The fault code is 048

It ran for about 25 minutes and then just stopped. Code 048, according to a fault diagnostic brochure from Espar is an "open circuit fuel metering pump". I have some mechanical/electrical knowledge (not enough) and checked the voltage supply to the pump, which started at around 6 volts but rapidly dropped to around 0.4 volts which does now not seem to vary (I can only assume this initial reading was residual voltage from the controller which is now not being replenished ?) I ran a separate 12 V feed from the battery to the pump and it pulsed strongly. I also tried to check the resistance of the pump, the manual says this should be 20 ohms, but could only get a reading around 8 ohms.

I have checked all the fuses and connectors and all are receiving around 12 volts. The blue wire (pump) into the multi-pin also reads 12 volts.

Are there any more diagnostic checks I can carry out to try and establish what is wrong ? I seem to remember some check you can do by connecting a blue or white wire to 12 volt to see if the blower/pump is working ??

If I am thinking straight, it would appear that the "brain" is not sending 12 volts to the pump as part of the start up process but absolutely nothing happens when I turn on the power. Normally the fan and pump run first and then the diesel pump starts ticking but this sequence doesn't even try to get going.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions ? I have tried restarting it and each time code 048 returns.

Sorry to rattle on but any help would be appreciated.

12 volts, if that reading is accurate and true it is far to low, have you tried starting it (Erbaspacher) with the engine running, ie, alternator giving a much higher voltage. (14++ volts)

ps. I hope your batteries are giving out more than 12v if not then they are totally 'flat' and the Erberspacher will not start.