Dodgy digital.

Featured Posts

I have to change to digital TV next month.Int that interesting folks.

I was given a Thompson set top box and remote control a few years ago with no destruction booklet.

Well i connected it all up with the appropriate wires and things to my beautiful Matsui CRT TV and had instant ag,long screens,short screens,letterbox screens,on the long screen Bruce Forsyths chin would have been on my floor,however fixing the remote control i was able to correct all that as mentioned below.

First of all the remote control was acting extremely remotely and was rattling so i took it to bits and fixed it.

Now the instruament works wonderfully ''a joy to beHOLD'',''BUT'' whatever i do concerning manual or auto tuning it completely dodges and doesn't recognize ITV 1,or the old channel 4 or 5. ITV 1 i never ever watch,its all soaps and game shows,but 4 and 5 i quite like. I can get everything else under the sun including loads of channels not even Freeview.But those three channels just don't seem available.Any ideas would be appreciated before i splash out on a new wretched box thing. :unsure: Bizzard.

I've just discovered that i'm getting Channels 4+1,5+1 whatever they are plus some ITV plus 1's.None of these are in TV Choice.

Edited by bizzard

snip

But those three channels just don't seem available.Any ideas would be appreciated before i splash out on a new wretched box thing. :unsure: Bizzard.

We had to do a number of 'first time installations' on the run-up to our changeover (and for 1 month after), because they were swopping cnannels/encoders/summat

- see HERE or HERE

ET to say your First-Time installations/set-up or similar wording, you should find somewhere in your 'Menu'

Edited by dave69700

We had to do a number of 'first time installations' on the run-up to our changeover (and for 1 month after), because they were swopping cnannels/encoders/summat

- see HERE or HERE

ET to say your First-Time installations/set-up or similar wording, you should find somewhere in your 'Menu'

Many thanks Dave and for the links,will have a bash at it later.

Regards Bizzard.

hi,your 4+1&5+1do programmes 1 hourlater than 4&5 main channels are broadcast,hope this helps,john

Interesting,so for example say the whole of 4's evening programs are exactly the same but all running an hour later than the true transmission time.

Thanks Bizzard.

No wonder i was given the wretched thing.I'm already bonkers this could be serious.

Edited by bizzard

At Bishop Stortford you have a choice of transmitters. Crystal Palace & Sudbury.

Assuming you have a directional aerial, try pointing at the opposite to the one you are presently using. You will need to re-tune.

If your not already using it, Sudbury is NNE of Colchester. Get your old hand bearing compass out, blow off the dust, walk well away from the boat & get a bearing approx 060°M.

I understand when analogue is finally switched off, at Crystal Place at least, we may get a boost in transmit power for digital signals.

I was given a Thompson set top box and remote control a few years ago with no destruction booklet.

What's your Thomson model number? I may know where to find a user guide.

At Bishop Stortford you have a choice of transmitters. Crystal Palace & Sudbury.

Assuming you have a directional aerial, try pointing at the opposite to the one you are presently using. You will need to re-tune.

If your not already using it, Sudbury is NNE of Colchester. Get your old hand bearing compass out, blow off the dust, walk well away from the boat & get a bearing approx 060°M.

I understand when analogue is finally switched off, at Crystal Place at least, we may get a boost in transmit power for digital signals.

I see Richard,channel 5 analogue used to come from Cambridge.I wondered why i could sometimes get Anglia ''SUDBURY''

Stortford is or was right on the fringe,extreme of all signals.But digital seems to be better than analogue now.

060 it is, Steering 060 Capt Hula.

Is this the kiddy My link

That looks like it.

IMPORTANT. Make sure also that the box is upgraded as on P12.

I've checked mine on your link Dave and mines too old to be on there,its DT1 1000

My links were to show the reasons for missing channels and how generally to go about correcting it.

Biz,

I'm sure it's been mentioned before on here (can't find it now) that some older boxes are not suitable for the current and future transmission of digital channels on Freeview - your missing channels could be down to the age of your box.

Is this the kiddy My link

Thanks Wonderdust,i have book marked that link.That's my little b--------d. There's no provision for resetting to factory settings,maybe i'll get a download update sooner or later. Thanks again. Bizzard.

Edited by bizzard

Thanks Wonderdust,i have book marked that link.That's my little b--------d. There's no provision for resetting to factory settings,maybe i'll get a download update sooner or later. Thanks again. Bizzard.

No Biz, not factory settings - use the Auto-tune, 2nd para, page 6. This will replace what you have, with what it will now find out there. Then go for the upgrade on page 12.

MJG Martin, is this what you mean:-

Boxes that do not support both 2k and 8k modes

Some boxes are having problems during switchover supporting both modes at the same times:

* Sharp TU-R160H

* Humax 9200T

* Thomson DTi 1000

The workaround appears to be to add the "8k" channel manually (C62 for Selkirk, for example) and then to do this procedure after switchover is complete My Freeview box has no EPG, is missing Film4, Channel 4+1, no sound on ITV3 or the channel line up is wrong - ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice, since 2002

This is on top of the boxes that could not cope with the changes to the Network Information Table (NIT): Daewoo DS608P, Labgear DTT100, Triax DVB 2000T, Portland DP100 and these VCR/STBs: Daewoo SV900, Bush IDVCR01 from http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051492

I don't know what they mean by 8k channel, but presumably it'll be one of those missing after a retune :unsure:

I used to be well into fixing 'Brown Goods' before I had my boat, now I can't keep up with the technology. I have to rely on the younger generation and Google :(

Biz

After you have followed all the advise and managed to get a picture could you start a thread of anything that is worth watching!!!

That'll be a short thread.

That'll be a short thread.

(note the repeats :lol: )

Have you tried doing a search with the aerial unplugged, when finished save and this will wipe all the channels, next plug aerial back in and rescan this might pick up the missing channels.

If not you will probably have to do a manual scan and add the the missing channels yourself.

Here is a link to the channels. Put your postcode in and it lists the frequency the channels are sent down you have to save these manually

MJG Martin, is this what you mean:-

Sorry I don't know the technical reason for it I just recall a discussion about older boxes not working, particularly when an area completely switches over.

These things are so ridiculous cheap now -

http://www.ebuyer.com/320295-goodmans-gdr10-freeview-receiver-gdr10

that personally if I was the OP I'd get an up to date one and not mess about with an old one.

These things are so ridiculous cheap now -

http://www.ebuyer.com/320295-goodmans-gdr10-freeview-receiver-gdr10

that personally if I was the OP I'd get an up to date one and not mess about with an old one.

There is something in that, I suppose, but even a new box still needs an initial set-up and possibly re-tune during changeover (this Goodmans does say auto retune but...) so If Biz can set his mind to this function, it will save more items from landfill/recycling.

Anybody want an old ON-digital Box? 8^)....Now that really does have to go to be recycled!

(or maybe Biz has got some idea for a new whiiiiz this week on reusing old set-top boxes?) ;)

That was a brilliant response chaps,i thank you all very much indeed.

All this is obviously why i was given the ''BOX''i shall have words with them,they were obviously too lazy to walk to the bin.

Being as i want to keep my magnificent Matsui CRT TV as its picture is much better and clearer than the LCD screens i've seen,and its only 13 years old and so should see me out.

As we're not changed over to dodgital here yet i think i'll leave ''THE THOMSON''effort of a contrivance alone and just re-calculate all the hourly differences and amend the TV Choice each week,and so wait for the change over as this could alter again anything i do to it now. This thread nearly developed into another one like old Sebrof's AAAArrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh's.

Once again many thanks to all.

Kind regards to all Bizzard.

ps Wheeze time soon.

Biz

After you have followed all the advise and managed to get a picture could you start a thread of anything that is worth watching!!!

Wilko John i'll compile a list of ''IT!''on a fag paper..

After all the trials and tribulations with the b-----dy ''THOMSON''digi-box device i decided to build it into my homemade built in TV erm cabinet.This is like a miniature theatre with a little curtain that draws across to hide all the gubbins as i don't like electrical stuff, wires and all ect on show when not in use.

Any way whilst chopping about this cabinet so as to accomodate ''THE THOMSON'',i was levering my magnificent Matsui telly about in it with all the plugs still plugged in.When all this converting was done and the units connected again, ''Nothin!!''.Just a horrible scrambled mess on the screen and after much trying to tame and bring everything back under control via the very remote remote control thing i decided that i'd busted the Telly somehow,so out it came again,Mmmm. Scart socket all gone wonky,so off came the back and yes i'd strained it by levering it about with the Scart lead plugged in and busted about three of its 19 or so tags,close inside the socket.oh!. I happened to have a spare male-female scart lead and so spent a happy night long vigil soldering in the new female socket, 20 tags i think under a magnifying glass to the circuit board,by hands are still all a-shake and i'm now crossed eyed with all the concentration. But all went splendidly and my beautiful Matsui telly which nearly became a ''Chop Suey''telly is now up and working again perfectly. :wacko:

Ps. I tried your compass course bearing for my aerial of 060 degs Lord Nelson (Richardhula)thanks it seemed to be of similar reception but will try again tomorrow.

Edited by bizzard

rly became a ''Chop Suey''telly is now up and working again perfectly. :wacko:

Ps. I tried your compass course bearing for my aerial of 060 degs Lord Nelson (Richardhula)thanks it seemed to be of similar reception but will try again tomorrow.

Yeh your about midway between Crystal Palace & Sudbury so not surprising I guess. Most folk in Chelmsford use Sudbury though which is similar distance.

Yeh your about midway between Crystal Palace & Sudbury so not surprising I guess. Most folk in Chelmsford use Sudbury though which is similar distance.

Bit of ghosting though Richard,could be the ghost of Borley rectory causing it at Long Melford nearby.

Having recently tried to bring to life a digibox that was actually badged Grundig, but was one actually using early Thompson electronics, I also came to the conclusion that certain of the Thompson models can't any longer be made to tune all available channels, (and it is not simply a case of loading later firmware, if available).

So I binned it, along with a newer Sagem one that could tune all channels but had never performed very well at our home. (BBC4 is problematic - a shame as it is one of the few channels that often has anything worth watching!).

Getting something newer, I'm astounded how the technology has changed, and wish I hadn't wasted any time now buggering around with stuff not up to the job.

Having recently tried to bring to life a digibox that was actually badged Grundig, but was one actually using early Thompson electronics, I also came to the conclusion that certain of the Thompson models can't any longer be made to tune all available channels, (and it is not simply a case of loading later firmware, if available).

So I binned it, along with a newer Sagem one that could tune all channels but had never performed very well at our home. (BBC4 is problematic - a shame as it is one of the few channels that often has anything worth watching!).

Getting something newer, I'm astounded how the technology has changed, and wish I hadn't wasted any time now buggering around with stuff not up to the job.

I suppose its worth subscribing to ''Which''to check all these things out.