Human-Powered Generators - Crackpot or Cracking?

cl@rkey

Featured Posts

Has anyone here looked into the feasibility of using human-powered generators (using exercise bikes, cross trainers, etc) for direct/immediate small-scale domestic usage, or helping top-up the batteries? Is the technology available to make this a viable option, or is it far too inefficient until the likes of room temperature superconductors come along?

Any electrical experts out there that can shed a little light? :)

I managed to have a "play" with a military hand-cranked generator when I was in my late teens and seem to recall that it was a muscle bursting effort for not a lot of amps..........

The problem is that the calories used and consequent fuel (food) consumption in generating human powered electricity make it uneconomical. It is cheaper to eat less and run a Honda generator!

Has anyone here looked into the feasibility of using human-powered generators (using exercise bikes, cross trainers, etc) for direct/immediate small-scale domestic usage, or helping top-up the batteries? Is the technology available to make this a viable option, or is it far too inefficient until the likes of room temperature superconductors come along?

Having experienced the bikes/cross trainers in my gym it is difficult for an ordinarily fit person to generate a continuous 200 watts for a long time. I reckon your average person would do 15 mins or so before getting tired, but let's assume though that you can do 30 mins. 200W is about 16A for a 12V system. So you would generate a charge replacement of 8Ah which is minuscule in the scale of your daily usage.

Roger

Edited to add that Bottle's link contains this very telling phrase: 'can be a valuable tool in teaching an appreciation of the physical energy required to produce the electricity'.........nuff said :o

Edited by Albion

Why not cut out the "middle man" and go direct for propulsion? Wouldn't need a starter battery at all then. Much more efficient to connect this bike direct to some paddle wheels. Wouldn't need an engine either.

We could call it the "Pedalo" ..............What dya mean, its bin dun before????? :rolleyes:

Having experienced the bikes/cross trainers in my gym it is difficult for an ordinarily fit person to generate a continuous 200 watts for a long time. I reckon your average person would do 15 mins or so before getting tired, but let's assume though that you can do 30 mins. 200W is about 16A for a 12V system. So you would generate a charge replacement of 8Ah which is minuscule in the scale of your daily usage.

Roger

15 mins!

Just thinking about it exhausts me!

I only just manage to cycle to the pub because I know that there's rehydration therapy available when I get there

Roger

Edited to add that Bottle's link contains this very telling phrase: 'can be a valuable tool in teaching an appreciation of the physical energy required to produce the electricity'.........nuff said :o

Perhaps it would only be economical for those already paying a gym membership? :)

AFAIK a fair amount of the energy generated is lost in resistance, so maybe this is *crackpot* until the advent of room temperature superconductors?

15 mins!

I only just manage to cycle to the pub because I know that there's rehydration therapy available when I get there

Well, at least that's energy that hasn't been wasted! :cheers:

Perhaps it would only be economical for those already paying a gym membership? :)

AFAIK a fair amount of the energy generated is lost in resistance, so maybe this is *crackpot* until the advent of room temperature superconductors?

Well, at least that's energy that hasn't been wasted! :cheers:

We've a superconductor on our local train service

A rather lovely young lady in fact

It might be worth looking into power generation in Third World countries.

I recall seeing an article and picture where a bicycle was held stationary, there was no tyre on the rear wheel, and a drive belt ran round the wheel rim, coupling to a car alternator. Also in the picture were an adult and a 'teenage' child, and a standard wet acid 'car' battery.

They had no other means of recharging the battery. I don't recall if a 'time to recharge' was mentioned.

The bicycle looked like any single speed device you would be unsurprised to see in any article about third world country.

Of course, power usage in a remote village of a 3rd world country may be somewhat less than the typical UK narrow-boat.

I suggest that power generation using a bicycle is more efficient that any hand cranked generator (efficient as in 'making best use of the human body').

I'm not certain that using exercise bikes is a valid comparison, as the two bikes are made for different purposes.

I'm not going to bother Googling this.

Cheers.

I know someone (I think he even posts here now and again) who has a bicycle powered PA system. I can be powered by 1 bike and up to 4 for extra amps. It's used at festivals to great effect.

15 mins!

By pure chance I was going up to the gym after my last posting and as one of my cardio exercises is on a recumbent bike I thought I would see how I fared so as to be able to give good feedback.

The exercise (number 3 out of 3 cardio exercises) comprised 1 minute at 60 watts, 1 minute at 230 watts, 1 minute at 60 watts and so on for a total of 15 mins. By the end of this I was dripping with sweat, legs aching and it was pretty much mind over matter to finish (yes, I know, too much information :sick:). At the end the display told me that I had averaged about 141 watts continuously. Anyone that can keep up 200 watts continuously for 30 mins is pretty fit IMO.

Roger

http://www.baka.co.uk/rinky/works.htm

Works a treat incidentally and is now only one of many bicycle powered sound systems at the Green Gathering and suchlike.

SOE used several designs of pedal generator in the last war, they are both crackpot and cracking! Largeley silent using no petrol they can be used wherever you have one, BUT the power actually put into batteries is small, however as an alternative to NO power yes they have their uses.

From something I read a while ago a typical (not fit) cyclist produces about 100W for 1/2 hour ish. A fit club cyclist is usually between 200 - 400W for 3 hours ish. The body only stores about 2500 calories of "fuel" so you need to eat after 2 - 3 hours. A UCI pro is 400W+ for about 5 hours. Cavendish tops at about 1400W (from his book boy racer) and Chris Hoy is about 2500W but for 1 - 2 minutes (Cav can hit peak power and cadence after riding 170km stage).

You can buy turbo trainers that you attach to your bike to keep fit in the winter. They have a frame that the bike is clamped to (uses modified quick release skewers) and a drum that the back wheel rolls against. The drum is then attached to a fan or on more expensive ones it tends to use a small electric machine. Usually you have a special tyre on your bike since the trainers are hard on them. It's probably something like this your thinking of. They're really boring to use!

Edited by Chalky

The body only stores about 2500 calories of "fuel"

Are you sure? There are people around my neck of the woods who seem to defy that statistic!

You can buy turbo trainers that you attach to your bike to keep fit in the winter. They have a frame that the bike is clamped to (uses modified quick release skewers) and a drum that the back wheel rolls against. The drum is then attached to a fan or on more expensive ones it tends to use a small electric machine. Usually you have a special tyre on your bike since the trainers are hard on them. It's probably something like this your thinking of. They're really boring to use!

Yes, but if you can build a system that could, say, power a tv, you'd be alleviating the boredom as you pedalled. Powering appliances directly (as in Black Ibis' example, i.e. cutting the battery out of the loop) would obviously make things more efficient. I think the problem would lie in generating enough regulated power, so as not to damage those appliances.

I know someone (I think he even posts here now and again) who has a bicycle powered PA system. I can be powered by 1 bike and up to 4 for extra amps. It's used at festivals to great effect.

Unfortunately, he no longer posts here. But he does still have a website

There is also Bicycology, who do a range of pedal-powered appliances.

Thanks for all the links and comments.

It's easy to dismiss bike generators, and their ilk, when thinking of them as wholesale replacements for existing power generation. However, as a supplement to those supplies (and perhaps even as emergency backups!), I believe them worthy of consideration - especially if you like to keep fit and are already paying gym fees!

That said, I doubt they'll do anything to enhance the look of your boat interior. :)