Barrus Alternator Connections

steelaway

Featured Posts

Hi all

After all this trouble I have had with my 110A alternator I would appreciate it, if some one could take a photo of the connection details of this bloody alternator.

I'm getting conflicting information - even from Barrus

Thanks in anticipation.

Alex

Hi all

After all this trouble I have had with my 110A alternator I would appreciate it, if some one could take a photo of the connection details of this bloody alternator.

Thanks in anticipation.

Alex

Conflicting information Alex? From Barrus? Never! :wacko:

Haven't got access to a camera at the moment but will try to get a photo tomorrow.

When mine went wobbly, I removed it and took it to Cox's, (as recommended by Barrus). They rang to ask about an "extra" wire on the back of it as they hadn't seen one on a Barrus 110 alternator before. They checked it out and found that it was causing a constant drain of an amp or so, even when the engine was off but were unable to ascertain what it's purpose was. In the end they sealed it off and it has been working fine.

Bob.

Conflicting information Alex? From Barrus? Never! :wacko:

Haven't got access to a camera at the moment but will try to get a photo tomorrow.

When mine went wobbly, I removed it and took it to Cox's, (as recommended by Barrus). They rang to ask about an "extra" wire on the back of it as they hadn't seen one on a Barrus 110 alternator before. They checked it out and found that it was causing a constant drain of an amp or so, even when the engine was off but were unable to ascertain what it's purpose was. In the end they sealed it off and it has been working fine.

Bob.

Hi Bob

If its the one with the white plastic sheave, that's one of the wires causing the problem. Barrus said it wasn't to be used but the alternator repair said its the exciter and indicator lamp.

Help!!!

Alex

Alex,

My 110a alternator failed when the engine was commissioned. Seems several engines had been shipped with the "wire with the white plastic sheave" connected and it seems to have caused the failure.

Barrus asked me to disconnect the wire but it was still not charging. They came out and fitted a free replacement next day.

This was 4/5 years ago but I think Barrus might be right.

Paul

nb Lady Soar - another excellent Soar Valley shell

Alex,

My 110a alternator failed when the engine was commissioned. Seems several engines had been shipped with the "wire with the white plastic sheave" connected and it seems to have caused the failure.

Barrus asked me to disconnect the wire but it was still not charging. They came out and fitted a free replacement next day.

This was 4/5 years ago but I think Barrus might be right.

Paul

nb Lady Soar - another excellent Soar Valley shell

Hi Paul

You can see now why I need a photo -You would think the alternator people would know which are which connections - but not necessarily the Barrus wiring.

Alex

Hi Bob

If its the one with the white plastic sheave, that's one of the wires causing the problem. Barrus said it wasn't to be used but the alternator repair said its the exciter and indicator lamp.

Help!!!

Alex

Do not connect the white connector. If you connect it the regulator will be bypassed and the alternator will deliver maximum output and won't last very long. This wire is only needed when a charge controller is used. I got this info from Barrus about four years ago when I asked whether it should be connected. The alternator is a Prestolite incidently.

Ian

Edited by Flyboy

Hi all

Thanks in anticipation.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Photos as requested.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3440/img0741copy.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7954/img0742copyu.jpg

Edited to add: The engine and alternators were supplied in late 2005.

The unused wire is blue/white and the end covered with black insulating tape. The other connections are I hope, fairly evident.

HTH.

Bob.

Edited by Bimbly1

Hi Alex,

Photos as requested.

http://img19.imagesh...img0741copy.jpg

http://img197.images...mg0742copyu.jpg

Edited to add: The engine and alternators were supplied in late 2005.

The unused wire is blue/white and the end covered with black insulating tape. The other connections are I hope, fairly evident.

HTH.

Bob.

Hi Bob

Thanks for the photo's

That's wonderful and now I'm pretty sure that's solved it.

Thanks again

Alex

Alex,this is the one fitted by Barrus (RG 5725): http://www.prestolit...duct=ALTERNATOR

Ian

Latest news on my alternator saga

I was told by my local auto electricians that the rectifier was blown. Quoted £70 for a guaranteed rebuild. They then tell me they cannot source a rectifier so couldn't do the job.

I rang Barrus and they quoted for a new one at £240 but gave me the name of their repairers.

I rang these people, who were first class, but as it is a Prestolite (confirmed by Bob's photo I emailed to them) they cant buy a rectifier either as Prestolite wont supply them.

Brilliant!!!!

The best they can do is to supply new alternator at about £150.

Do I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Alex

Latest news on my alternator saga

I was told by my local auto electricians that the rectifier was blown. Quoted £70 for a guaranteed rebuild. They then tell me they cannot source a rectifier so couldn't do the job.

I rang Barrus and they quoted for a new one at £240 but gave me the name of their repairers.

I rang these people, who were first class, but as it is a Prestolite (confirmed by Bob's photo I emailed to them) they cant buy a rectifier either as Prestolite wont supply them.

Brilliant!!!!

The best they can do is to supply new alternator at about £150.

Do I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Alex

at £150 you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper alternative especially as it's quite a high output unit.

OTOH I found the forum here quite helpful - you need to be specific about the alternator number / rectifier part No; that may be on the links above. They could at least tell you if it was available. In my experience folks often say "not available" if there's some hassle in getting supply, whereas a private individual can often cut through the carp.

Depends on how much legwork YUO are prepared to do and of course, how urgent the job is. Could also be profitable to contact ADVERC ans ask them nicely who does their work. They are into high output alternators.

at £150 you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper alternative especially as it's quite a high output unit.

OTOH I found the forum here quite helpful - you need to be specific about the alternator number / rectifier part No; that may be on the links above. They could at least tell you if it was available. In my experience folks often say "not available" if there's some hassle in getting supply, whereas a private individual can often cut through the carp.

Depends on how much legwork YUO are prepared to do and of course, how urgent the job is. Could also be profitable to contact ADVERC ans ask them nicely who does their work. They are into high output alternators.

Hi

Thanks for the forum link.

I've sent an email to a link I found - mtimerman@prestolite.com.

I'll see what he has to say.

Alex