Licensing a new boat.

The Jolly Roger

Featured Posts

Hello folks

We will be moving on to our first new boat at the end of March, so thought I would start thinking about getting licensed-up.

Going for a Gold license as we will be cruising the Thames in September and I am aware that BW licenses go from Jan-December.

However, I have just been told by Katy at BW in Leeds, that even though I am starting my licence four months into the calendar year, I still have to pay for a full year, losing nearly £300. She had to ask somebody else for this information, which, too me seems wrong, but I dare say somebody out there has experienced a similar scenario and can comment. Can you imagine it if you bought a new boat in September, wanted to licence it, and were told that you would have to pay for a full year when you only have three months cruising time left.

The (Not So) Jolly Roger

Hello folks

We will be moving on to our first new boat at the end of March, so thought I would start thinking about getting licensed-up.

Going for a Gold license as we will be cruising the Thames in September and I am aware that BW licenses go from Jan-December.

However, I have just been told by Katy at BW in Leeds, that even though I am starting my licence four months into the calendar year, I still have to pay for a full year, losing nearly £300. She had to ask somebody else for this information, which, too me seems wrong, but I dare say somebody out there has experienced a similar scenario and can comment. Can you imagine it if you bought a new boat in September, wanted to licence it, and were told that you would have to pay for a full year when you only have three months cruising time left.

The (Not So) Jolly Roger

From here -

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-it/choosing-and-buying-a-licence/standard-licences#goldE&W

BW & EA Gold Licence - England & Wales

12 months beginning 1st January

The Gold Licence allows you to cruise freely on EA navigations and on BW waterways in England, Wales and Scotland. It is available for twelve months only, beginning on 1st January. If you already have a BW licence that expires on a different date, we will refund the outstanding portion if you wish to switch to a Gold Licence. We do not have the authority to refund existing EA licences. Please contact the EA licensing office which issued your licence.

You must comply with the Conditions, Acts, Bye-Laws and Regulations that apply to whichever waterway your boat is being used on.

Gold licences are not refundable and are only issued for full calendar years commencing 1st January.

Unless Gold Licenses are treated differently, a license starts in the month you buy it and then comes up for renewal one year later. That's how my standard license has been renewed for 8yrs. August to August.

Ah - just seen MJG's post.

Edited by Higgs

You can start your British Waterways licence at any month, not just January to December. As for the Thames, you can get a visitors licence and if you are only going to be on the Thames for September it may be the best option. For next year, if you decide to go for a Gold Licence you can get a refund on and unexpired portion of your BW licence.

BTW the EA will be changing the licencing system from (I think) next year so your licence can start at any month as with BW at the moment. More details here

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/Thames_IWO_FAQs_Nov_2011.pdf

HTH

Dave

Don't blame BW for this one. It's the EA that causes gold licences to run Jan-Dec, because that's what EA licences do. As others have pointed out, BW licences can start any month.

If you get a year's BW licence, you should be able to back it for a refund of the unused portion if you want to get a Gold licence for 2012 next January.

And either get a visitor licence for the Thames this year or leave it until next year (post Olympics)

The Gold licence was / is a joint agreement between EA and BW. "You lot" get a great deal because the Gold is only about one month's extra cost per annum, whereas for me who's home base is the Thames, the Gold cost me twice as much....

Envy aside,

EA are creaking towards a rollong twelve month licence period, but nothing (other than intentions) has yet been said, and there's no guarantee that the Gold will move to that basis as well.

So for this year the OP's best bet is to buy a STL (visitors' licence) Depending on his cruising plan a week's licence could be bought for Oxford to Reading. Dive up the K&A then buy another week's licence for the rest of the trip or do the same with a break up the Wey.

Details here from the EA web site