I have just almost fallen off a wobbly toilet

BeninReading

Featured Posts

Morning all,

I have a Sealand Traveler toilet which is on top of a holding tank which can be pumped out. The toilet has become increasingly wobbly to the point that ones balance is required just to stay on the thing! I have removed the outer cover on the toilet to reveal four mounting screws around the perimeter. I have tried tightening these up but no change. I assume (and hope) these screws to not screw into the underside of the holding tank, but into some sort of mounting plate which may well have rusted away. I have vinyl floor mat around the toilet, which I am reluctant to move until I have a plan of what I am doing. I was wondering if a) anyone has a similar experience of this happening B) anyone knows how these type of toilets are fixed in place c) How I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

One of Ripple's toilets did this when I owned her. It turned out that the mounting bolts you describe had corroded and more than one was no longer holding the loo down. The solution is to get a kit of replacement bolts and seals. I don't recall this being all that expensive and I was able to order it through the marina chandlery. However, to make the repair the toilet bowl has to be lifted off. Make sure the cabin is ventilated and do not do this job on a hot day!

Edited by magpie patrick

Usually these screws are special ones that fit into a plastic mounting plate which itself is then screwed to the tank. These screws often corrode away, with the effect you describe. It is possible, but unlikely, that the plastic plate has failed; much more likely it is merely a matter of removing the four nuts, lifting the bowl away, sliding the bolts out sideways and then reassembling (preferably with a new gasket). The parts are readily available. If the screws appear to be brass, they are almost certainly this type.

Of course, if you are unlucky, you may have a bigger job but the only way to be certain is to take the bowl off and have a look. We have had to replace the bolts twice in 20 years - plus on one occasion we discovered that the plastic plate was itself fixed to a mild steel collar that fitted on top of the stainless steel tank. The mild steel rusted away and deposited the entire assembly (with user attached) into the tank..

It's a good idea to have a thorough pumpout first, unless you are very good at holding your breath.

Great - I will have an exploratory look this evening...thanks very much for thorough replies. Ben

Make sure you have a reserve porta potti on board before removing the bolts. If mine was anything to go by all the bolts sheared when I tried to remove them, I seem to remember they were brass.

The toilet has become increasingly wobbly to the point that ones balance is required just to stay on the thing!

You balance may be helped if you hold the boat shaft in both hands, (as per tightrope walking). You may need to open windows to facilitate! :D

Make sure you have a reserve porta potti on board before removing the bolts. If mine was anything to go by all the bolts sheared when I tried to remove them, I seem to remember they were brass.

They are sintered "brass" and very poor quality. They need replacing every 2-3 years.

To make matters worse, they push up through a sort of foam rubber, which I'm sure harbours umm - dampness; very acid.

The kits are expensive, so I've bought some 6mm stainless coach bolts from Screwfix, filed the dome down a tad and two flats in the side of the head.

Result a DIY fix SS should last a lot longer than the Sealand rubbish

There was another thread on this just a couple of weeks ago, so have a search.

The important thing is to do exactly what OldGoat says, its not a job you want to be doing often, so do it properly!

.......Dave