Stoke to Gloucester

lesrollins

Featured Posts

Stoke to Stone, Stone to Great Haywood, GH to Penkridge, Penkridge to Stourport, Stourport to Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury to Gloucester. If the tide's low you'll manage Stourport to Gloucester in one day.

When I put the route into canal plan I opted for 5hr days which gave me a 11 day cruise. As a complete narrowboat novice I thought it would be better to take my time and not rush into it. Would I be able to do the river severn on a high tide ? or would it be to dangerous.

When I put the route into canal plan I opted for 5hr days which gave me a 11 day cruise. As a complete narrowboat novice I thought it would be better to take my time and not rush into it. Would I be able to do the river severn on a high tide ? or would it be to dangerous.

You only have to worry about tide on the reach between Upper Lode (Tewkesbury)and Gloucester, and then only when the high water at Sharpness exceeds about 7.8 metres.

Click here for Sharpness tides

Call the lockie at Upper Lode (01684 293138) for advice - he's very helpful, and will not let you out of the lock if it's dangerous. He will ask if you've navigated this section before, and give you a handout sheet of instructions if you are new to it.

If there is a big tide it's often a good idea to go down as far as Haw Bridge (BW pontoon mooring) and have a pint while the high water passes.

The problem is not so much the speed of the flow, but all the debris that comes with it, so it's worth avoiding the section below Haw Bridge during the flood tide.

Gloucester is well worth the trip IMHO just to be able to moor in the docks among all the historic warehouses.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Well thats it folks contracts on the house have been exchanged and we are picking the boat up next Friday. What size anchor will I need for a 70ft boat and what thickness chain and rope. Whats the best material for rope. Cheers

Wow, getting closer now!

Lots of info on anchors on this forum, for example see My link

Try using the search tool (top of the page): tip, use the gear wheel icon next to it to get a bigger search form, and on this change the "return results" to "posts", as the default is not helpful.

Have you settled on a route?

I'm heading up to Worcester on the 9th, there's a big tide that day so we'll get a push up river if we time it right.

Make sure you contact glos lock to book!

That whole weekend is March Severn Bore time, all the tides Friday to Monday exceed 9 metres with two 9.8 metre tides on Sat and Sunday.

The tides are expected to move up at breakfast time and early evening so good idea to plan around there.

Good luck, take care, and above all else, enjoy it and take your camera.

Wow, getting closer now!

Lots of info on anchors on this forum, for example see My link

Try using the search tool (top of the page): tip, use the gear wheel icon next to it to get a bigger search form, and on this change the "return results" to "posts", as the default is not helpful.

Have you settled on a route?

I'm heading up to Worcester on the 9th, there's a big tide that day so we'll get a push up river if we time it right.

Make sure you contact glos lock to book!

We have opted for the stoke, stone, penkridge, stourport route. We might be starting off on friday if the money gets transfered quickly. But if not it will be on monday, because there is a dishwasher to come off the boat and a cupboard to be put in its place, but they will not do the work until all the funds for the boat are in place.

We might be starting off on friday....................... if not it will be on monday

but you did not say which Friday or Monday.

Already getting used to the canal way of life. ;)

Have a good trip when ever it starts. :cheers:

We might be starting off on friday....................... if not it will be on monday

but you did not say which Friday or Monday.

Already getting used to the canal way of life. ;)

Have a good trip when ever it starts. :cheers:

Its going to be Friday 2nd March or Monday 5th March. The keys to the house will be through the estate agents door at 7.00am Friday morning then its a trip up to Stoke. I have just brought an anchor, chain and rope just in case

Edited by lesrollins

hi we did this journey under very similular circumstances 9 years ago end of March. never owned or driven a narrowboat before. went from Kerridge dry dock on the Mac to Gloucester. booked 2 weeks off work and found our survey had missed a hole in the weed hatch so ended up in Stourbridge to have a new one fitted, but still did the journey down the staffs and worcs in 2 weeks over the easter holidays. good luck and look forward to seeing you when you get here. R n B Canal Art on Tytas. the change of BW closures down here are around the 20th March so you will need to check severn locks for opening times.