Manchester Ship Canal

homer2911

Featured Posts

Has anyone 'done' the Manchester ship canal? where can I find information about planned group narrowbaoat jaunts?

If you do a search on here, you will find a link to a Mykaskin video of one of his cruises - great watching.

Might have been on a crossing the Mersey thread.

I hope to do a short hop between the Weaver and Ellesmere Port this year at Easter. I did it for the first time a couple of years ago.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more details.

Liam

Has anyone 'done' the Manchester ship canal? where can I find information about planned group narrowboat jaunts?

As I understand it you have to do it by appointment. There are other rules but I can't remember what they are

Has anyone 'done' the Manchester ship canal? where can I find information about planned group narrowboat jaunts?

Any idea when and which part?

Other threads on this site will explain who to contact and what you need but briefly you will want:

Permission and strict times from the Manchester Ship Canal company (Peel)

A 'seaworthiness' certificate (different from BSC)

Extra long ropes

A deep pocket (you have to pay for each lock)

We did Weaver to Ellesmere Port last year (no locks) it was great fun and we will probably do the whole length from Salford to Ellesmere Port later this year.

Or the whole hog and across the Mersey if anyone is interested.

Other threads on this site will explain who to contact and what you need but briefly you will want:

Extra long ropes

We did Weaver to Ellesmere Port last year (no locks) it was great fun and we will probably do the whole length from Salford to Ellesmere Port later this year.

I'd like to consider the Mersey crossing around the end of May - Pm me if its a goer

Extra long ropes

I believe you also need an alternative means of propulsion. When a friend did it a few years ago they accepted a canoe paddle.....

I believe you also need an alternative means of propulsion. When a friend did it a few years ago they accepted a canoe paddle.....

I've never heard of that one for the MSC.

The Board of Trade did once ask for a pair of oars to be carried on the trip boat Lapwing in case of emergencies on the Weaver, but it never actually was put into effect.

Tim

There is no requirement for alternative means of propulsion

IWA advice

Or contact:

Harbour Master, Manchester Ship Canal Company

Queen Elizabeth II Dock

Eastham,

WIRRAL,

CH62 0BB

Tel 0151 327 1461

Fax 0151 327 6278