Pub Reviews please

12uthy

Featured Posts

Hi folks we have booked a holiday going along the Macclesfield to Whaley Bridge and back to Stoke and we have a few ideas as to where to eat along the way.

I wonder if any of you have tried these pubs and can tell us what they were like and how child friendly they were:

1. The Old King's Head at bridge 43

2. Windmill Inn at bridge 25

3. Boar's Head at bridge 15

4. Fool's Nook at bridge 49

5. Railway Inn at bridge 75

Any comments would be very helpful, thanks

I am a bit of a geek when it comes to looking at which pub to go to. This needs a little bit of research!

Look at the website www.canalsidepubs.co.uk/pubs/macclesfield.htm

this gives you all of these pubs and some details

2 have websites

Windmill (Whiteley Green, Macclesfield) www.thewindmill.info

Railway (Congleton) www.therailwayinncongleton.co.uk

Boars Head is in Higher Poynton, Stockport

Old Kings Head is in Gurnett, Macclesfield

Fools Nook is in Macclesfield

There are pub review sites. Put in the pub name and location into a search engine (eg google) to find reviews of these pubs.

Alternatively hope that somebody here can make a recommendation! :cheers:

I can remember going in the The Windmill Inn and having chips - big fat ones cooked in beef dripping - tasty !

Many thanks for the mention of the website which is a hobby (research is so taxing) and non commercial. If you find any more pubs en-route or the details have changed, I would be very grateful for the information so I can update the website for the benefit of all

Not cheap, but a lovely place with great food.

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/suttonhall/

Just South of Macc. And only a short walk from the canal.

I'd be there like a shot for at least one evening on a trip from Stoke to Whaley Bridge - possibly twice if timings permitted :)

Richard

Hi folks we have booked a holiday going along the Macclesfield to Whaley Bridge and back to Stoke and we have a few ideas as to where to eat along the way.

I wonder if any of you have tried these pubs and can tell us what they were like and how child friendly they were:

1. The Old King's Head at bridge 43

2. Windmill Inn at bridge 25

3. Boar's Head at bridge 15

4. Fool's Nook at bridge 49

5. Railway Inn at bridge 75

Any comments would be very helpful, thanks

I would highly recommend the The Old Kings Head by Gurnett Aqueduct that you have listed. Doesn't look much from the outside but nice and cosy/comfortable inside with great food.

Huge and tasty portions - we went for Sunday lunch & the boys couldn't finish the roast which is unheard of and pie was delicious.

Nice and informal atmosphere - no separate 'restaurant' part despite the description in the Nicholson's guide. Made it more relaxed. Very child friendly and welcomed dogs inside too.

We moored at the aqueduct and the couple on boat next to us went to Sutton Hall and recommended it though it sounded a bit too upmarket for our rainsoaked rabble!

Thank you all for your postings, they've all been really useful. :cheers:

The Fools Nook has changed hands a few times in the last couple of years. My last visit wasn't impressive but it may have changed in the last 12 months.

The Old Kings Head serves great food. The landlord took the pub on to keep it open and deserves support. The Windmill is OK but food and beer is expensive. I would recommend the Vale Inn at Bollington which is a must if you like beer. It's Bollington Brewery tap, children welcome.