Solar DAB

Chickadee

Featured Posts

Any one tried out a solar DAB radio? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-DAB-Digital-Solar-Radio/dp/B003GM62PQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326980066&sr=8-1 I need an alternative to using my phone, laptop or TV to listen to DAB wondered if this could be the answer. The car stereo I have on the boat is only a couple of years old so don't really want to replace that. What other options do I have?

Any one tried out a solar DAB radio? http://www.amazon.co...26980066&sr=8-1 I need an alternative to using my phone, laptop or TV to listen to DAB wondered if this could be the answer. The car stereo I have on the boat is only a couple of years old so don't really want to replace that. What other options do I have?

This is the radio without the Solar

(I have a non-solar one - I think it's great)

I think that £18 for a solar add-on is expensive - - I simply recharge mine when engine's running / or on land-power

At the risk of sounding cynical, I think anything that costs so little that comes with a solar panel attached is a toy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-ECO1BK-Ecologic-Digital-Battery/dp/B001G1FRVO/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326991840&sr=1-5

This looks more interesting, but I haven't tried it.

At the risk of sounding cynical, I think anything that costs so little that comes with a solar panel attached is a toy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-ECO1BK-Ecologic-Digital-Battery/dp/B001G1FRVO/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326991840&sr=1-5

is it just me that can't see the solar panel????? :unsure:

ah, edited as just seen first linky........

does it put in more than the radio uses, or just prolong listening time but runs out eventually???

Edited by matty40s

Thats why I asked to be honest. I did wonder how effective it would be.

Mmm maybe I should just get that one then. How long does it last once charged?

It takes standard AA NiMh rechargeable batteries - (so easy and cheap to replace them if you ever have to) . . and a charge last 12 hours with 2300mh batteries

(I inevitably have the radio on when I fall asleep - and it's still playing ion the morning!)

It takes standard AA NiMh rechargeable batteries - (so easy and cheap to replace them if you ever have to) . . and a charge last 12 hours with 2300mh batteries

(I inevitably have the radio on when I fall asleep - and it's still playing ion the morning!)

ooh! sounds just what I need! Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm now the owner of one of these lovely Roberts DAB radios but I can't seem to get it to hold its charge. I've charged it on my bf parents house leccy for about 10 hours 3 times and it still won't last longer than about 5 minutes. Am I doing something wrong. Do I need to try different batteries? I'm well disappointed. :(

I can't remember what the expected run time was but I'm sure it should be more than 15-20 minutes!

It was the last one of this model in the shop and heavily reduced so if we take it back we'll have to pay more for the new model or have a totally different one so I'm eager to try and get this one to work if I can.

If it was sold to you as new by the shop, it doesn't matter what price they sold it for, it will still be covered with the full manufacturers guarantee and you will be entitled to a replacement if it is not functioning properly.

I am not familiar with the radio, but could it be that there is a switch that you need to set to a 'charge' position when you are charging the batteries?

Roger

Yep set it to charge its deffiently taking a little charge each time.

If the shop don't have a replacement they can just give me my money back then I'll be back to square one so I really want to try to get this one to work.

Might just try a really long charge and see what happens.

I bought a rechargeable torch a couple of years back which had been a demo model. It had internal rechargeable AA batteries, but wouldn't hold a charge for more than a couple of minutes. When I opened it to look at the batteries, I found that someone in the shop had replaced them with alkaline ones which seemed to take a tiny bit of charge. The shop gave me some free rechargeables and all was fine after that, so might be worth checking.

Roger

Chick - - - - my batteries will certainly last at least 10 hours on a charge!

I am using 2,300Ma (x4) rechargable AA batteries (mine didn't come with batteries - I bought mine (Maplin/Tesco/everyone else) (2,000Ma at maplins)

(Looking on-line now, the Maplins are currently on offer at £4.99)

It May well be that the batteries you have been supplied are too small, wrong type, ex-demo - - (what rating are they?)

• Greenie 1

THanks i'll check what they are when I get home. They were sealed in the box in another plastic wraping thing. Didn't look like it had been opened before so i'm fairly certain this are the batterys it was supposed to come with.

I think i've got some rechargable 2,300ma's in my camera I might give them a go see how long it lasts for.

I really hope its just the batteries as this was the only DAB rechargeable battery radio I could afford at the moment.

If this is an 'old' model then it may be possible that it has been in store a long time and the batteries have 'failed' due to old age.

As before it does not work, therefore it is not of merchantable quality, take it back and get your money back, do not accept a repair.

ps. you are totally at liberty to ignore this. B)

Edit: looks like you were posting as I typed, trying the other batteries is a good idea.

Edited by bottle