Water Tank

Rebotco

Featured Posts

My fresh water tank is at the very front of the bow, formed by the steel hull and coated with black stuff.

Not too keen on this idea, especially as little black flecks come out of the tap sometimes.

Can't really see how to recoat it though, as there is only a screwed-on 12" square access plate to get at it.

I sure couldn't fit down that and suspect my arms wouldn't reach far enough to get in all the corners anyway!

So what options have I got?

Anyone used those flexible water bag things? I have seen them up to 200 lts but they cost around £300.

Or is there any sort of spray on lining that could be applied?

Thanks

Brian

I remembered reading something about integral water tanks in CB magazine so I did a search for you and found THIS

Thanks for that. By 'eck, you've got a good memory for an article two years ago!

The thread doesn't really get past the initial difficulty of removing the access panel though. But its nice to know I'm

not the only one to come across this question.

Brian

My fresh water tank is at the very front of the bow, formed by the steel hull and coated with black stuff.

Not too keen on this idea, especially as little black flecks come out of the tap sometimes.

Can't really see how to recoat it though, as there is only a screwed-on 12" square access plate to get at it.

I sure couldn't fit down that and suspect my arms wouldn't reach far enough to get in all the corners anyway!

So what options have I got?

Anyone used those flexible water bag things? I have seen them up to 200 lts but they cost around £300.

Or is there any sort of spray on lining that could be applied?

Thanks

Brian

Bump! Still waiting patiently for some more wisdom on this question. Thanks. Brian

Have tried - and failed to find anything on flexible water tanks.

Brian

Hi.

I also have tried and failed to find useful threads.

I know their are companies that make flexible tank liners and I am considering fitting one to my integral water tank and am currently researching this 'project'. When I have something meaningful I will let you know and hope you will do the same for me.

Good luck

Ditchdabbler

We used a company called HCL who make skirts for hovercrafts but will supply liners for tanks using the same material. They do however need accurate measurements to work from. 8 years on, ours is still good with no maintenance needed. We have got an inbuilt water filter system on board for our drinking water tho.

We used a company called HCL who make skirts for hovercrafts but will supply liners for tanks using the same material. They do however need accurate measurements to work from. 8 years on, ours is still good with no maintenance needed. We have got an inbuilt water filter system on board for our drinking water tho.

Yes, I also used a company on the Isle of Wight who made hovercraft skirts (back in the 90s) and made the tank to my design even though it was a three D shaped triangular thing (if you can imagine what I mean) to fit into the bow of our first boat. It was brilliant. Never had any taint in the water over years of use and it may still be in use now for all I know as the boat now belongs to a member of this forum. I too had got fed up with more and more frequent blacking of an integral tank and, although pricey, the flexible tank was well worth the price in the long run IMO.

Roger

Yes, I also used a company on the Isle of Wight who made hovercraft skirts (back in the 90s) and made the tank to my design even though it was a three D shaped triangular thing (if you can imagine what I mean) to fit into the bow of our first boat. It was brilliant. Never had any taint in the water over years of use and it may still be in use now for all I know as the boat now belongs to a member of this forum. I too had got fed up with more and more frequent blacking of an integral tank and, although pricey, the flexible tank was well worth the price in the long run IMO.

Roger

just how pricey? are we talking 4 figures? as i am seriously looking into this option on my build

any information would be great

Hi.

I also have tried and failed to find useful threads.

I know their are companies that make flexible tank liners and I am considering fitting one to my integral water tank and am currently researching this 'project'. When I have something meaningful I will let you know and hope you will do the same for me.

Good luck

Ditchdabbler

Hi DD

As others have indicated, HCL and Plastimo seem to be the main manufacturers of these.

The most interesting info I've just come across is from HCL here HCL link

This seems better and possibly cheaper than the standard double-skin types. It also says the measurements do not need to

be accurate as they stretch up to 50%.

Brian

Sounds well worth talking to them.

just how pricey? are we talking 4 figures? as i am seriously looking into this option on my build

any information would be great

About £400, c/w brass fittings but that was a few years ago. Have just found the paperwork - www.hovercraftconsultants.co.uk

That sounds about right for the time. Mine was in the low £300s IIRC but that was quite a few years before Wandering Snail's I reckon. You will need to make some allowance also for the changes to the tank that will need to be made (cutting a hole to feed the outlet through....to name but one) and for modifying the plumbing slightly but, overall, I reckon you will be pleased with the result.

Roger

I think you would be wise to scurf off the rust, vactan and repaint the tank even if (or especially if?) you're going to install a tank liner.

You'd only have to do it once, but I wouldn't put a liner in on top of rust and old flaking paint

Edited by blackrose

I think you would be wise to scurf off the rust, vactan and repaint the tank even if (or especially if?) you're going to install a tank liner.

You'd only have to do it once, but I wouldn't put a liner in on top of rust and old flaking paint

Would that really be necessary? Rather defeats the object of having a liner in the first place doesn't it?

As the type I've linked to above is "elastic" there would be little or no movement to cause abrasion on a nb, I'm thinking.

Or do you mean to do it more for the hull's wellbeing?

Brian

Would that really be necessary? Rather defeats the object of having a liner in the first place doesn't it?

As the type I've linked to above is "elastic" there would be little or no movement to cause abrasion on a nb, I'm thinking.

Brian

The recommendation for my flexi-tank was that I line the existing tank first with that stiff plastic (large size) fencing netting. The purpose of this is to prevent the liner from sticking to the inside of the hull under the considerable pressure of a full tank of water (onto the original blacking of the tank) and to allow a certain amount of air around to help to reduce condensation.

Roger

The recommendation for my flexi-tank was that I line the existing tank first with that stiff plastic (large size) fencing netting. The purpose of this is to prevent the liner from sticking to the inside of the hull under the considerable pressure of a full tank of water (onto the original blacking of the tank) and to allow a certain amount of air around to help to reduce condensation.

Roger

Thank you for that, Roger. A good tip I wouldn't have thought of.

Brian :clapping:

Brian

I meant for the benefit of the hull and the liner.

It doesn't defeat the object of having a liner because you'd only have to do the job once (assuming the space between the liner and hull stays relatively dry).

Perhaps you could get away without doing it if you get all the dampness out before the liner goes in, but I wouldn't want to put a liner into a rusty integral tank.

Mike

Edited by blackrose