Residential mooring within commuting distance of Lincoln

AidanLincs

Featured Posts

I've already said "hello" in the general forum, but hello here too. :)

The plan is to buy a boat at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014 with the intention of living afloat. It might be that I can manage to do it earlier, but it's at least 18 months away. Plenty of time for me to plan properly. Right now, I'm thinking about residential moorings.

I run my own company, and have customers in various parts of England and Wales, ranging from Lincolnshire where I live, right down to Gatwick, and across to Cardiff. When not visiting customers, I work from home. For several reasons, Lincoln is my base. I live alone (well, two dogs), and will probably be getting a 50' or 55' narrowboat when I take the plunge. Can anyone suggest residential marinas within car-commuting distance of Lincoln? This is what I've gathered from various sites on the internet:

• Brayford Pool - quite expensive, and a bit run-down for the price
  • Burton Waters - lovely, but shockingly, hideously, painfully expensive
  • Kings Marina, Newark - Quite expensive, but pretty nice on the whole

I've not been to look at this places yet (I'll be exploring them this year, and talking to other narrowboaters), but I was wondering if anyone would care to confirm or refuse these summaries, or suggest other places that I've not considered. I've looked at the published prices for residential berths at Kings, and they are within my budget, but pretty much at the ceiling. I haven't found published mooring fees for Brayford or Burton Waters. Subject to the iron discipline of my budget, I'm happy to pay more for a good mooring. Conversely, I don't feel the urge to pay out £3500 if I can get a decent mooring for less.

you might not be lucky round that area..............mind you there is a widebeam for sale on rightmove thats got a perm mooring just outside brayford pool on the towpath side

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36487643.html?utm_content=ealertsmoredetails&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailupdates&utm_campaign=emailupdatesjun11&utm_term=buying&sc_id=5089004

There are a row of British Waterways residential moorings on the canal side as you enter Lincoln. They come up for auction every so often but they are expensive as they have residential status.

Burton Waters isnt that expensive in the scheme of things when you look at the facilities you get. It costs us a little over £1k to moor our boat there (25ft) for a 12 month contract paid up in full. So a 50fter would be around the £2k mark. Im fairly sure the residential British Waterways moorings went for well over that price the last time they came up for auction. There is not always Narrowboat mooring avaliability in Burton though, Im sure they operate a waiting list as only a very small (20ish) number of moorings are designated for them.

ETA: There are British Waterways mooring sites at Torksey and Bardney but these are not residential moorings. There is a farm that offers moorings just through Saxilby they may be worth a ring also there are moorings at Chapel Hill, Dog Dyke and Boston.

Edited by Phylis

Just my 'tuppence' worth.

We had planned on a mooring on the Witham (probably Chapel Hill or DogDyke) but with the weed problems the last couple of years we decided not to.

We were also told that when the drainage gates were opened in the winter the level dropped to make it almost impossible to get out (dont know how true this is maybe Smudge / Purple Fairy etc can comment)

We ended up at Kings Marina (about 30-40 minutes drive from Lincoln)

Excellent choice - water and electric to each berth (even last winter). Pump out doesnt have much 'suck' but does work. Clean toilets and showers (free) and a laundry (tokens). Coal & gas on site.

B-B-Q area

Site well maintained and tidy and a portacabin has just been installed to act as a chandlry.

Atmosphere is what you make it - many nights sat out drinking on the pontoons with all the neighbours or you can shut yourself in and watch TV

I've already said "hello" in the general forum, but hello here too. :)

The plan is to buy a boat at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014 with the intention of living afloat. It might be that I can manage to do it earlier, but it's at least 18 months away. Plenty of time for me to plan properly. Right now, I'm thinking about residential moorings.

I run my own company, and have customers in various parts of England and Wales, ranging from Lincolnshire where I live, right down to Gatwick, and across to Cardiff. When not visiting customers, I work from home. For several reasons, Lincoln is my base. I live alone (well, two dogs), and will probably be getting a 50' or 55' narrowboat when I take the plunge. Can anyone suggest residential marinas within car-commuting distance of Lincoln? This is what I've gathered from various sites on the internet:

• Brayford Pool - quite expensive, and a bit run-down for the price
  • Burton Waters - lovely, but shockingly, hideously, painfully expensive
  • Kings Marina, Newark - Quite expensive, but pretty nice on the whole

I've not been to look at this places yet (I'll be exploring them this year, and talking to other narrowboaters), but I was wondering if anyone would care to confirm or refuse these summaries, or suggest other places that I've not considered. I've looked at the published prices for residential berths at Kings, and they are within my budget, but pretty much at the ceiling. I haven't found published mooring fees for Brayford or Burton Waters. Subject to the iron discipline of my budget, I'm happy to pay more for a good mooring. Conversely, I don't feel the urge to pay out £3500 if I can get a decent mooring for less.

Just drop the word " Residential " unless you are kinky about letter boxes.

......... I'm thinking about residential moorings..........

I run my own company, and have customers in various parts of England and Wales, ranging from Lincolnshire where I live, right down to Gatwick, and across to Cardiff. When not visiting customers, I work from home. For several reasons, Lincoln is my base. I live alone (well, two dogs), and will probably be getting a 50' or 55' narrowboat when I take the plunge. Can anyone suggest residential marinas within car-commuting distance of Lincoln? This is

Just a question - if you are going to keep your 'base / home' in Lincoln do you need a residential mooring as well ?

Or - are you going to use your NB as your home and business base ?

<...lots of useful information...>

Thanks for that. Perhaps I've believed too much of the hype about Burton Waters' prices. I'm going to have a wander around potential mooring sites later this year and ask questions (taking the advice I've seen on these forums to approach the subject of living aboard somewhat obliquely). Saxilby was also mentioned by someone else as a potential location.

Just drop the word " Residential " unless you are kinky about letter boxes.

Well, you know. A man has needs. :blush:

Just a question - if you are going to keep your 'base / home' in Lincoln do you need a residential mooring as well ?

Or - are you going to use your NB as your home and business base ?

Thanks for the info about Kings.

I'm planning on working from the boat too, as long as I have a tolerable internet connection. If it turns out that that isn't possible, I've got a secondary plan for a small bit of office space in Lincoln. What I meant is that I need to be based near Lincoln.

Edited by AidanLincs

Thanks for that. Perhaps I've believed too much of the hype about Burton Waters' prices. I'm going to have a wander around potential mooring sites later this year and ask questions (taking the advice I've seen on these forums to approach the subject of living aboard somewhat obliquely). Saxilby was also mentioned by someone else as a potential location.

Well, you know. A man has needs. :blush:

Thanks for the info about Kings.

I'm planning on working from the boat too, as long as I have a tolerable internet connection. If it turns out that that isn't possible, I've got a secondary plan for a small bit of office space in Lincoln. What I meant is that I need to be based near Lincoln.

There is also good wifi access at Burton Waters if you need good internet access.

There is a lot of rumour around that Burton Waters is very expensive but when you look at what you get for your money it isnt at all bad and if you pay 12 monthly up front the rates are not a lot more (i.e less than £100 for our boat) than Brayford Pool charge. Newark Marina, Kings Marina and Farndon Marina are all substantially more expensive places to moor for, in my opinion, lesser facilities, security and safety.

Thanks that's worth knowing. Decent internet access will be a boon, because then I'll be able to work from home most of the time. I have access to a desk in Lincoln if I need it, but the advantage of working from home is that I can work in my dressing gown if I want. That tends to raise eyebrows if I go into the office.

What's the waiting list like for getting a berth at Burton Waters?