Rust on Engine Housing Floor.

Featured Posts

Hi,

First question; What is the correct term for the engine housing floor, is it engine bilge?

When I looked into the engine compartment, I notice there was water and subsequently rust. Should this be dried out and the rust removed, treated and repainted?

Any advice on setting about this task would be gratefully received? :blush:

Hi Wobbly

Have a look on Chris Lingwoods post on "Understern Storage".

BTW I think most call it the Engine 'ole

Regards

David B

although mine is actualy on the ceiling rather than the bilge which has a nice coating of paint and oil ;) I am a messy boy :blush:

Rusty bildges should idealy cleaned out, prepaired, and painting in whatever what you feel appriopretly.

Im planning to our "Engine-less 'ole" at some point this season.

Daniel

Hiya Wobbly,

The cavity my engine sits in is called the rusty 'ole, but when it's sorted I hope to grace it with the term engine 'ole. I believe Moley and Mrs Moles' answers to the name of UGH! but will in no time at all be a shining example of an engine 'ole too, if Moley hasn't already emptied it, scoured it and turned it into a shiny thing of wonder. (He works at speed that boy, and he gets his kids organised too!)

On a more serious note, my rusty 'ole is pretty rusty and after spending a few sleepless nights worrying about it, I pestered my local engineer who told me to worry less. My rust is pretty much caused by the PRV in the calorifier doing what it meant to do, which is to release excess pressure into the bilge. As the water heats in the calorifier, the pressure in the tank needs to vent safely and a small amount of water ends up in the bilge. As my bilge wasn't painted with any nice bilge paint to start with, there's small amount of surface rust which looks alarming but isn't anything to worry about at the moment. He recommended using a very cheap wet 'n' dry vac for the time being to keep out any excess. When I've got some time to spare, I'll leap down the 'ole and brush out the rust, give it a coat of Vactan and then paint it with some of that nice bilge paint. I reckon purple would be good but they don't seem to make it at the mo' (drat). On the other hand I might just spend my summer hols going for a cruise instead - hmmm - tricky choice! :blush:

Best wishes, Jill

PS Have you bought your boat yet? It seems like only last week you joined us - but I have been busy recently and may have been losing a grip generally.

....My rust is pretty much caused by the PRV in the calorifier doing what it meant to do, which is to release excess pressure into the bilge. As the water heats in the calorifier, the pressure in the tank needs to vent safely and a small amount of water ends up in the bilge....

Have you thought of running a pipe from the PRV through a skin fitting so that the "surplus" water is vented over the side rather than into the bilge? You could then clean off the rust in the bilge and give it a few coats of bilge paint and -hey presto - a sight to behold! :blush:

Thanks everyone for infor! :blink:

Hi Jill! Looks like you are keeping an eye on me :huh: I did only join the forum a very short time ago!

After months of searching I do have a boat, well if the survey and BSC goes ok :(

I'm a curious being, if I'm going to do something I want to know eveything I can about it.

I have done most things to do with building and maintenance; roofs, loft conversions, house rewiring, plumping, central heating, double glazing etc etc. A jack-of-all-trades and master of none :) The only thing I haven't done is plastering and hopefully that will not be a problem onboard! :cheers:

Although most of my skills are transferable, working on a 57' stell tube will be different and I'm sure bring up many new problems, or should that be challenges? :D

When I think of something, as long as it relates to boats, I ask the friends of the forum and bingo, someone comes up with an answer. So my questions may seem that my mind goes from one thing to another and somethimes in ever decreasing circles, but the more information I can glean the clearer the picture becomes and hopefully I will be able to live a happier life on the cut. :)

I seem to be going on abit, don't I? :blink:

Losing a grip? Me and you both! :blink:

Edited by Wobbly Dick

Have you thought of running a pipe from the PRV through a skin fitting so that the "surplus" water is vented over the side rather than into the bilge?

Yeah, thats got to be the way to go.

- Eather vent it overboard, or into the tiny little STG bildge, assuming you have a little bildgepump and floatswitch etc down there.

- Ive vented overboard, im sure technicaly you should have a "tundish" and all that jazz, but ive never heard of that used on a NB, and im sure you'd be ok without.

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

I believe Moley and Mrs Moles' answers to the name of UGH! but will in no time at all be a shining example of an engine 'ole too, if Moley hasn't already emptied it, scoured it and turned it into a shiny thing of wonder.

Sorry, but it's been low on my ‘stuff-to-do’ list

It's much better than it was, and I'm now happy to pump my bilge water into the cut (rather than bottle it up and take it away), but there's still room for improvement.

And I'm in the Midlands, edge of the Black Country, so we have injins, not engines, it's an injin'ole, and nothing to do with burying Redskins either, 'cos that'd be an injun'ole.

In the same way, I'm currently grouting (sorry, grahtin') the bAthroom (not barthroom), and lawn rhymes with donkey and not backside.

Sorry, but it's been low on my ‘stuff-to-do’ list

It's much better than it was, and I'm now happy to pump my bilge water into the cut (rather than bottle it up and take it away), but there's still room for improvement.

And I'm in the Midlands, edge of the Black Country, so we have injins, not engines, it's an injin'ole, and nothing to do with burying Redskins either, 'cos that'd be an injun'ole.

In the same way, I'm currently grouting (sorry, grahtin') the bAthroom (not barthroom), and lawn rhymes with donkey and not backside.

I'm gu'ed, thought it'ud done bi naw!

I think you're making a few assumptions too here Ade. Ellen and I travelled west from SW Brum (Cotteridge) and despite six years of constant leg-pulling by her Bathonian chums Elly retains traces of a distinctive Halesowen accent learnt in nursery. In fact, from where we come from, Kiddy looks posh! Even down here in deepest Wiltshire lawns still belong to donkeys.

"Oi'm gitson moi traaac'or and they'm go droivin' allover they grAss" (overheard in assembly this morning)

Glad that's clear then, and pleased you're not slaughtering Native American folk down there!

Moves swiftly on to the Four Yorkshiremen Sketch .............

Jill

Yeah, thats got to be the way to go.

- Eather vent it overboard, or into the tiny little STG bildge, assuming you have a little bildgepump and floatswitch etc down there.

- Ive vented overboard, im sure technicaly you should have a "tundish" and all that jazz, but ive never heard of that used on a NB, and im sure you'd be ok without.

Daniel

Now why didn't I think of that? I'm not quite clear on how to do it but a little poking around and investigating should solve the mystery. Thanks chaps; will let you know how it goes.

Jill

Oh Please, don't get me started on Python!

I wasn't coming back at you specifically, it was a more general statement.

Kidlyminster am a bit posh ah s'pose, burra wor born theeyer.

Our kids spake posh, but I still wairk wi' a bloke frum Tip'n-on-Cut, so I get my daily dose of Black Country.

Anyway, sorry Wobbly, but we've gone seriously :blink:

Edited by Moley

Oh Please, don't get me started on Python!

I wasn't coming back at you specifically, it was a more general statement.

Kidlyminster am a bit posh ah s'pose, burra wor born theeyer.

Oi've desoided to let youmoff cawse it eedn't yer folt bein' born theeyer.

Bostin'

Moves swiftly on to the Four Yorkshiremen Sketch .............

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Well Dhutch, that sounds like you lived in luxury to me...... a brown bag, a crust and only fourteen hours a day ...... You lucky sod! ment to say bastard, but thought I may offend!? :blink:

Can't get my head around the last few threads, was it English? ............... I moved from Tamworth to Brum as a missionary to teach them to speak proper, maybe should have moved to Black Country! :blink: Joke!! :cheers:

Back to the Ole, thanks for tips, I'm sure the solution is there... :blink: