Puzzle Corner

MartinClark

Featured Posts

Did you know that there are two tunnels at Cosgrove? Do you know where the second one is?

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Edited to add: Obviously its at Cosgrove but its precise location?

One by the aquaduct and the other by the pub at cosgrove...I know as I was there today for a lovely (if not rather muddy) walk.

But it doesn't say that in the listing text.

Yes, but it is a typical English Heritage listing which gives little information about what the structure was used for. EH listings are notoriously poor for industrial structures. I had to write a report on the listed South Dock Bridge in Goole, and the listing described the one removed circa 1905.

I said above that the photos of this tunnel were to be included on my revised 'virtual cruise' of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.

I am pleased to report that this major task is now finished and the pictures in question can be seen on this page, which puts the location of the tunnel into context for those of you who have passed along that way. It might even interest those of you who have not passed along that way! The new photos better show off the scenery to be experienced along the route!

is there any slipways along there anywhere? i feel a weekend on the water ahead

Slipways at Wool Road (between Locks 23w and 24w) and at Slaithwaite (above Lock 24e) - both have bars across that need unlocking. The east side of the canal is pretty much out of action at the moment, with 13 locks being re-gated over the winter. You might have to settle for looking at the pretty pictures for now!

Slipways at Wool Road (between Locks 23w and 24w) and at Slaithwaite (above Lock 24e) - both have bars across that need unlocking. The east side of the canal is pretty much out of action at the moment, with 13 locks being re-gated over the winter. You might have to settle for looking at the pretty pictures for now!

cheers for the info, think i'll have a weekend on the west end in the summer, no heating on my little boat so its defo not a winter trip

cheers for the info, think i'll have a weekend on the west end in the summer, no heating on my little boat so its defo not a winter trip

Sorry, I don't know much anything about trailboating so I don't know how you go about getting the barriers opened. You may have a key for doing this or perhaps you need to get BW to do it?

Sorry, I don't know much anything about trailboating so I don't know how you go about getting the barriers opened. You may have a key for doing this or perhaps you need to get BW to do it?

it might be a BW key, but who knows, will give BW a call before i go, few months until it warms up yet.

petrol powered universal key will work otherwise. :rolleyes: