Internet access

Rick

Featured Posts

Not the usual question. I have the phone, Nokia 6310i, and the data cable is on order. What I need to know is charges by the ISP.

As I understand it ISPs who operate a pay by minute access get a cut from BT for each minute I am online. Using a mobile and GPRS will I have to pay the service provider for time online?

Any assistance from the phone gurus on the forum would be appreciated.

Richard

You have to pay for GPRS by KILOBYTE.

You're better off with a 3G card with an allowance.

It can be VERY expensive downloading GPRS.

I realise I have to pay for GPRS by the Mb. I understand from what I have read that although 3G is advertised as covering a considerable percentage of the country this is by population, not area. If I moved out of a 3G area the signal reverts to GPRS. I will shortly be moving to Whixall Marine which I suspect is probably not in an area covered by 3G. Therefore, 3G useless.

I don't think I would be better of using 3G. This is why I choose GPRS. And the expense will not be too great as I only require e-mail useage.

Which brings me back to my question. Does the ISP get a cut of the phone call cost and if so how does this work with GPRS.

Richard

Hi Rick

With GPRS you only pay to send or recieve data ,so you can be on line 24/7 to stand by to recieve something. and only pay when it comes in

On contract you will pay .235p per KB or on pay and go 1p per Kb.

For the way you say that you want to use it ie:- a few email per week the way you are thinking is probably the best. but if you are going on to the net and want to play around, you will find it very slow and costly and at that point concider 3G, which will revert to 2.5 G if there is no 3G signal anyway.

You will need to get the phone configured to use eyther this you can do on the net or if you are having problems give me a ring and i will send the settings to your phone by email. also im'e not sure what you are waiting for as regards a lead but you may need data suite from nokia as well this i can email you.

Hi Richard,

So whichever ISP I use I won't have to pay them anything?

I have Nokia Data Suite, it came with the phone and the lead I need is to connect the mobile to the computer. I don't like infra red as I'm an untidy person and keep leaving books and sundry rubbish in the line of site and I don't fancy Bluetooth at all. It must be more complicated than just plugging in a cable to the phone and PC.

I will bear your offer of help in mind if the configuration causes problems. I understand that it can go astray, and for me, if it can, it will. :o

Richard

Hi

As in most things you get what you pay,

for but the great thing about GPRS is that if you are expecting a email you dont have to keep connecting on and off you just get on and when it comes on 10 mins or 2 hrs later pay for the KB used.

It is not the way i would do it if i had a Blue tooth port on the laptop i would always use that as 1st choice as it is best and simple to use.

The hardest thing you will have to do is set up email.

Dont do it by going onto the web site you use for your mail now eyther set up a new address or a second recieve point on this comp as it will use less KB this way.

Edited by Richard Bustens

You dont actually need to subscribe to an ISP to get internet access.  You use the mobile phone provider to act as the ISP/gateway onto the internet.  They include this as part of the over priced GPRS service!

Thanks for that Stuart, this was the first time that the method of e-mail access had been explained.

Shame about the crack re "over priced GPRS service". Seems to me to be fairly simple and reasonably priced arrangement. If I am happy with it why should anyone else be concerned.

Richard

eyther set up a new address or a second recieve point on this comp as it will use less KB this way.

You wot.? It's alright for you computer savvy guys but the likes of me, who only want the damn thing to work, find remarks like second receive points or new addresses to save Kbs just a smidgeon confusing.

Could you put it into simple terms please :o

Richard

Well, say if you use hotmail,

- you go onto the hotmail site (incding all the graphics and adverts)

- then you login (and get a page full of news and adverts for dateing agencys etc)

- then you go to the inbox page (with more adds)

- and then you open the email (which is also surrounded by advertes)

so, you've been though 4pages, 400adverts and 4000 other graphics, and some news storys

whereas, if you set up outlook express to pick up your emails (even iuf thats from the same account) then all you have to do is

- open up outlook (doesnt use any bandwidth)

- click send a recive mail (down loads or sends your emails, and nothink else, at all)

- the you can look at your emails which are now on your laptop, so you can look at them time and time again (witout using any more bandwidth)

hope this is clear, daniel

Edited by dhutch

Thanks guys,

That is how I d/l my e-mails now, using OE.

However, Stuart reckons e-mail will be provided by the mobile service provider so that would seem to be the best way to proceed. Unless, of course, someone knows better. If there are any snags doing it that way I would like to know.

Richard

• 2 months later...
I've got a T-mobile gprs pc card in my laptop, but it's very difficult to get a good signal, any one know if i can boost the ariel, or signal ?

I have written a whole topic about GPRS and 3G. 3G is currently not advisable as you will only achieve GPRS speeds at the moment. I'm currently testing 3G with Orange and give reguarly feedback. Part of the trail is trying out everything possible with the phone. ie using as a modem, standard wap browsing etc but still very slow speeds.

In the mean time the are several different cost effective ways of web access whilst on the move, did you know you can receive 1mg download via a standard sky satelite for around £30 per month? only drawback is you use your mobile to send the data back. KVH can supply a omni directional ariel for 2 way access (Thank you Mark!) don't know how much could be expensive! The are loads of ways all depending on web usage and how deep your pockets are.

To answer onionbargee question. You can purchase ariel phone booster which was featured in Waterways magazine. This will enable you to place the ariel outside the shell as the shell bounces the signal back whilst keeping the handset inside your boat.

Edited by steveh

Steven

Do you think we are ALL stupid.

There is no such thing as a booster it is a scam.

You can increase the signal SLIGHTLY with a antenna but the things you are advertising is a load of shit and will do nothing at all.

Perhaps you also sell the stick on radiation shields. that like your boosters cost 2P from china.

Richard Bustens.

Nokia grade 5 service Engineer.

Edited by Richard Bustens

Steven

Do you think we are ALL stupid.

No I don't think you are all stupid I was just trying to help as i'm constantly in need of web access whilst on the move. All you hard to put was these are crap. If i offended then i apolagise. I am not selling these thing by the way. I was just trying to point in the general direction. As I see by your previous post that you are a Nokia Grade 5 Service Engineer and I take my hat off to your as it seems your area of expertise.

Something to read for everyone - I apolagise here to just in case i'm mistaken for trying to sell something or offending someone

If you understand anything about antenna of the frequency visit http://www.solwise.co.uk as they explain how the steel shell of the narrow boat, microwave ovens and telephones also block the signal of the mobile phone. Also on the website it will try and explain about line of sight and frequency gain. As i work in the construction / IT industry I have had to investigate the best possible ways and most cost effective ways of sending receiving data via local area networks and wide area networks.

Steve Haycock

EDIT

Richard I have removed the hyper links to the booster signal as this was not a correct move or post.

Edited by steveh

Sorry i jumped in like that, but it is annoying to see people selling things that are no use at all.

Do you think if they were any good that nokia or m/rola would not fit as standard to put one over on the competition for the cost of 1P or so . and that is all they would cost if they were made in the quantity that nokia use.

i repeat what i have said before.

You can not get a signal if there is not one there, but you can increase SLIGHTLY one that is weak.

3G is only available in restricted areas, but these are growing all the time.

Only Orange and v/fone have a viable 3G set up, with v/fone probably the best, But if it don't work for you then Orange is the best if it works.

I have V/fone and Orange and Three all supplied to us as a phone company free with unlimited free access. and i find where i use them V/fone the best. but 20 miles down the road Orange may be better.

FACT Orange is the best in Chester and Nottingham.

FACT O2 does not work in Holmes chapel.

FACT O2 is best in the South west.

I can go on listing the areas that one does or does not work, but the rule of thumb is that if it works for you where you are using it USE that one.

There are few areas now that have no signal at all, and it may be prudent to have 2/3 different Sim cards.

Richard,

no offence taken none given, as i stated before i'm trailing Orange 3G I have been waiting for this for so long it hurts. Now i have it i hate it, it like using a 9600 baud fax machine. This is why i suggested alternatives like satelite broadband but the down side is still if you have no mobile signal you have no broadband via one way satelite. Two way satelite is very expensive.

visit

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband.shtml

this list gives you ISP who can provide cable, telephone, satelite and wifi broadband with coverage maps etc.

EDIT

Little footnote. I found the cheapest way to access email either PDA or as you stated before laptop and Outlook express. Make sure if you use this to change the seetings for check email to the maximum and if you leave you phone and PC connected OE will constantly check your email every 30mins (default) and use valuable kb

Edited by steveh